Supersoil gone sour - questions

Cona

Well...I think I know how it happened. Now can I do any6thing about it? This is my fourth batch and the only one that I screwed up. After mixing my batch of soil I put it in the 55 gallon trash can like always then watered 1 or 2 gallons of phed water 6.5. I did not have the lid to the can anymore so I tool a old soil bag and placed it on the top of the soil and put some weights on the bag...hopefully trying to keep the thirps out that were in my garage from the roots soil in another container. Well I think that the thing went anarobic without any oxygen availible to the soil and it basically has rotted I think. I noteced my plants have bright lime colored leaves and couldnt figure out what it was except it was the only plant with the new supersoil. So this morning I did a runnoff test of the supersoil...it was bright orange which is 4 ph or less...off the chart I think.

Could I just add a bunch of hydrated lime and still use it? Or dolomite pellets? Or should I just bag it and go start mixing a new batch?

Also...if you were to be makeing new supersoil today and all you had to choose from was happyfrog, Ocean Forrest or roots organic...which should I use? Im thinking happyfrog with lots of big chunk perlight?

Man this sucks....

Any help is greatly appreciated!

GH

Re: Supersoil gone sour...questions...

Nobody wants to take a stab at this? 68 views...

I don't have any personal experience with the 'supersoil' blend (I mean, I use SuperSoil *brand* soil, but not the 'super soil' compost mix that people are using nowadays)...

Having said that, I'd think you could try adjusting the pH back up just like you would any other batch of soil, assuming the soil's the problem. Dolomite or the like should help correct the imbalance, then I'd just monitor to see if it stays within range or starts going south again. Not sure if this'll help but it's a response! :) :goodluck:

- CP

You could check out my 3rd grow journal. I list all of my ratio's and mixture amounts on there. I am doing a different method of growing but still the ingredients and amounts are pretty much on key for a good mixture..

I use a combo of FFOF and Happy frog
perlite
worm casings
guano's (different ones depending on where in cycle)
soft rock phosphate
gypsum
calcium carbonate
lava sand
green sand
alaskan forest humus
myco maximum

Thanks...I will check. I am going to grow with just happyfrog for the time being while I run a test plant with the dolomite adjusted supersoil.

Use the dolomite, NOT the hydrated.

No big deal if it went anaerobic, just get it fluffed and some air to it and will be fine. I've done the same thing a time or 2. For the plants already in it, IDK. You might need to transplant, or the mix might sweeten up with a wet/dry cycle. You'll have to call it on that one.

But the rest of the mix should be fine with the lime and some air. Mine was.

DD

Back
Top Bottom