Sweetners

The only time I actually saw heat coming out was a pile of moldy hay. We immediately took then out of the barn and spaced them out.
And, that heat was created by the decomposition that had been started by the molds breaking down the organic materials.

Most likely the moldy hay had a moist feel to it since the breakdown is more rapid with water.

And, that heat was created by the decomposition that had been started by the molds breaking down the organic materials.

Most likely the moldy hay had a moist feel to it since the breakdown is more rapid with water.

Sure did. Thats the only thing we monitor weekly the hay inside the barn. If there is moisture buildup inside the packs its a recipe for a higher decomposition and therefore temperatures rise and could well ignite. Barn fires are a thing. Compost fires I have never seen.

Now if your compost is 50% bark and/or wood derivatives I can see how they could ignite but still the proper moisture in a first stage of a compost pile shouldn’t allow any combustion to happen, its wet. Final stage of compost its soil, no fire possible.

My 2 cents.

2 SAYINGS I GAVE TO MY STUDENTS WHEN I WAS AN INSTRUCTOR OF ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY AS WELL AS BOTANY.... TOO BAD YOU MISS THE POINT....YOU ARE MORE INTERESTED IN TRYING TO PROVE ME WRONG THAN LEARNING ABOUT SAFETY... OH, EVEN AS A SCIENTIST I DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING....BUT WHAT I DO KNOW AN UNDERSTAND I UNDERSTAND EXTREMELY WELL.....SO I'LL FALL IN THE IGNORANT CATEGORY .....
ONCE AGAIN.....A CLIP

Ammonium Nitrate is a STRONG OXIDIZER and when contaminated with OIL, CHARCOAL or other ORGANIC MATERIALS, can EXPLODE and become SENSITIVE TO SHOCK.

#1 TOO SOON OLD.... TOO LATE SMART

#2. STUPIDITY IS FOREVER....IGNORANCE IS CURABLE

Now if your compost is 50% bark and/or wood derivatives I can see how they could ignite but still the proper moisture in a first stage of a compost pile shouldn’t allow any combustion to happen, its wet. Final stage of compost its soil, no fire possible.
The ignition, though, is from a nearby source and not from the heat of the pile. The pile cannot get hotter than the boiling temperature. It would have to dry out before sparks or flame could ignite the wood chips or whatever organic material is there. And, if it is dried out then the decomposition process slows and stops so the temperature of the pile drops.

Brings to mind those high school science classes where we would boil water in a paper bag.;).

2 SAYINGS I GAVE TO MY STUDENTS WHEN I WAS AN INSTRUCTOR OF ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY AS WELL AS BOTANY.... TOO BAD YOU MISS THE POINT....YOU ARE MORE INTERESTED IN TRYING TO PROVE ME WRONG THAN LEARNING ABOUT SAFETY... OH, EVEN AS A SCIENTIST I DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING....BUT WHAT I DO KNOW AN UNDERSTAND I UNDERSTAND EXTREMELY WELL.....SO I'LL FALL IN THE IGNORANT CATEGORY .....
ONCE AGAIN.....A CLIP

Ammonium Nitrate is a STRONG OXIDIZER and when contaminated with OIL, CHARCOAL or other ORGANIC MATERIALS, can EXPLODE and become SENSITIVE TO SHOCK.

The difference is I am talking about building a compost pile and not a mini-bomb.

We should be promoting the proper maintenance and managment of composting instead of how to mix chemicals to get a man-made disaster going just because we can.

YOU MAY WANT TO RESEARCH SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION PRIOR TO SAYING THAT YOU NEED A
"NEARBY SOURCE".....

Let’s allow space for different types of thinking and or methods.

My methods are based on the science that I use them every day, my data based own my own experience. I find extremely rare any organic matter to self ignite. Takes me to the thought of self combustion in humans. It’s super rare but has happened.

HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH MAKING EXPLOSIVES.....NOTHING....IT HAS TO DEAL WITH MISHANDLING OF A VOLATILE SUBSTANCE....PERIOD.....AGAIN YOU RATIONALIZE/ JUSTIFY YOUR POSTION.....I'VE GIVEN SOLID FACTUAL DATA( I CAN SEND YOU THE COMPLETE M.S.D.S) ABOUT AMMONIUM NITRATE.....YOU COMPLETELY DISREGARDED THE SAFETY PRECAUTIONS.....ASK YOURSELF A QUESTION....WHAT IF SOMEONE INJURES THEMSELVES OR OTHERS BECAUSE I ( MEANING YOU) DID NOT POST PROPER HANDELING AND PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES
.....IT'S LIKE CROSSING THE STREET.....STOP....LOOK AND LISTEN.....SAFETY FIRST!!

ONCE AGAIN.....A CLIP

I have a botany degree, with Wildlife Mgt./soil science, and what you are describing by mixing nitrate ferts with a petroleum product is called ANFO (ammonium nitrate/fuel oil), you would certainly never mix those ingredients for composting. In order for it to be explosive you have to let the oil mix with the fert for 24 hours before using it, and you must use the correct percentage of Ammonium Nitrate (without other things like P & K), the correct petroleum to ammonium ratio, and correct grain size (Prilled). Then it takes a large shock to set it off, usually a blasting cap. Any moisture will kill the reaction. You also don't mix charcoal directly with ammonium nitrate when making compost. In the amounts used for composting the ammonium nitrate will not explode or burn if mixed with wet organic matter, period! There is a million tons of ammonium nitrate fertilizer used in the US yearly, if used as directed it's very safe.

THEN POST "USED AS DIRECTED" SO OTHERS DON'T HURT THEMSELVES OR OTHERS.....NOT EVERYONE ON THIS POST HAS MULTIPLE SCIENCE DEGREES LIKE YOU AND I.....AS A SCIENTIST YOU SHOULD BE COGNIZANT OF THAT.....SAFETY FIRST! JUST BECAUSE YOU KNOW HOW TO USE IT DOES NOT MEAN A NOVICE DOES.....AND THERE'S THE PROBLEM.....POST SOLID USEFUL , MEANINGFUL DATA WITH PROPORTIONS, RATIOS, AMOUNTS IN STANDARD FORM....AND SAFETY PRECAUTIONS SO THAT ALL USERS CAN BENEFIT SAFELY.....GOD BLESS

THEN POST "USED AS DIRECTED" SO OTHERS DON'T HURT THEMSELVES OR OTHERS.....NOT EVERYONE ON THIS POST HAS MULTIPLE SCIENCE DEGREES LIKE YOU AND I.....AS A SCIENTIST YOU SHOULD BE COGNIZANT OF THAT.....SAFETY FIRST! JUST BECAUSE YOU KNOW HOW TO USE IT DOES NOT MEAN A NOVICE DOES.....AND THERE'S THE PROBLEM.....POST SOLID USEFUL , MEANINGFUL DATA WITH PROPORTIONS, RATIOS, AMOUNTS IN STANDARD FORM....AND SAFETY PRECAUTIONS SO THAT ALL USERS CAN BENEFIT SAFELY.....GOD BLESS

Go back and read post #43, that tells you how to do it, step by step, safely.

Edit: In addition, nothing I posted would lead someone to use the the fert unsafely.

My town's Public Works Dept picks up fall yard clean-up (leaves, twigs, grass clippings), brings them to a central area and piles them up to decompose. Doesn't happen often, but that mountain of a pile has been known to catch on fire and require the fire dept to put it out.

That scale is way beyond what residential gardeners will ever do, however. But, to Mitchell's point, a big enough pile with the right conditions and ingredient mix  can combust.

THANKS!! AGREED.....AS YOU READ ALL MY STATEMENTS ARE ABOUT SAFETY AND BEING AWARE OF THE MATERIAL(S) YOU ARE USING....THANKS AGAIN. HAPPY GROWING

Back
Top Bottom