Lab Rat abandoned this method.
I definitely would not put flowers/buds in the freezer.
The greater yields past 4 or 5g is usually due to more plant waxes, lipids, etc.
I guess it's been awhile, but Tim & I did cannabinoid profile testing on most of the known methods.
QWET had, by far, the greatest yield of cannabinoids. Especially THC/THCa.
I posted several of these tests a few years ago & so did he.
Thanks Cajun! I wish Labrat would of stated somewhere that he abandoned this method(unless I missed it).The last thing he told me was to go with the "SCET" method ( adamantly stated that to me). But I definitely trust you Cajun bud so I will go back to the QWET method that I was using prior to the SCET method. Thanks again bud!

I don't see how the water helps? I would have thought that you will still only have a certain amount of oil surface area in contact with the plant material and the addition of water may decrease that surface area and reduce the efficiency of the extraction. However, if you going to give it a go on a small quantity and test the results then I'm sure we'd all be interested to see how it goes! :)

The idea is that the cannabinoids will melt and attach themselves to the oil anyhow, especially with good mixing, in theory. So yeah, if that's the case we could get more material into less oil, because the way it is now, there is no way to get more than approx 100g(dry) into 1 liter of oil.

Decarboxylate RSO In Pressure Cooker

But THIS, has me very intrigued now! If all of the above is true, we could do the oil/water extract in a pressure cooker, for a more potent oil and smaller doses, aaaand cook for not more than 2 hours since the pressure brings up the temperature. Aaaaaand we could retain more terpenes since very little is evaporating away!! Very very, veeeery intriguing...

and actually, if you look at methods 4 and 5:

Homepage

it seems very little difference in yield oil vs oil/water.. just the fact that method 5 uses twice the cooking time might be THAT difference.. hmmm

I have to tell you guys, reading through some of this stuff wearies me. There are so many points where I'm once again struck with how much damage the medical profession did to my husband by ignoring this medicine and other holistic approaches. He had chronic inflammation for the final years of his life and they treated it with pills that had little benefit, when a simple addition of flaxseed oil or hempseed oil, or even just shelled hemp seeds would have likely eliminated the problem in time. It makes me want to stand in the middle of a street and let out a primal scream sometimes.

I can't lay all the blame on them though. I was remiss myself in not looking for holistic solutions. I was brainwashed like everyone else to trust his doctors. I have to keep reminding myself that everything happens for a reason and everyone has a time limit. I didn't choose his and it just was. *sigh*.

I'm gonna go cry for a while now.

I apologise Sue! I certainly didn't intend on the information having that effect :(

You can't blame yourself for what has happened, but by starting threads like this one and getting people together to help others you can certainly take away something positive from all of it. :Namaste:

Thanks Cajun! I wish Labrat would of stated somewhere that he abandoned this method(unless I missed it).The last thing he told me was to go with the "SCET" method ( adamantly stated that to me). But I definitely trust you Cajun bud so I will go back to the QWET method that I was using prior to the SCET method. Thanks again bud!

I got the impression that Lab Rat abandoned the higher yielding hot extraction that pulled out lots of other things besides the cannabinoids/terpenoids/flavonoids. However, I thought Lab Rat was still happy with the SCET?

I'd like to understand what problems would be associated with freezing the plant material if you get some time to elaborate :) Or at least why you advise against putting it in the freezer.

The idea is that the cannabinoids will melt and attach themselves to the oil anyhow, especially with good mixing, in theory. So yeah, if that's the case we could get more material into less oil, because the way it is now, there is no way to get more than approx 100g(dry) into 1 liter of oil.

Decarboxylate RSO in Pressure Cooker

But THIS, has me very intrigued now! If all of the above is true, we could do the oil/water extract in a pressure cooker, for a more potent oil and smaller doses, aaaand cook for not more than 2 hours since the pressure brings up the temperature. Aaaaaand we could retain more terpenes since very little is evaporating away!! Very very, veeeery intriguing...

and actually, if you look at methods 4 and 5:

Homepage

it seems very little difference in yield oil vs oil/water.. just the fact that method 5 uses twice the cooking time might be THAT difference.. hmmm

I admit I didn't really look at method 4 in much depth, I focused mainly on method 5 as it was closest to what you were doing.

Having re-read it I can see that the oil from method 4 will be more potent than the oil from 5 (from the looks of it between 2-2.5x more), however, it may be a slightly less efficient extraction.

Unfortunately, different amounts of plant material, different lengths of time for the extraction, and the additional steps in method 4 make it a bit difficult to be sure which is really the most efficient.

I'll post this both in SweetSue's study hall here and the decarboxylation in a pressure cooker thread here as it's relevant to both...

It looks like someone has already done some pressure cooker decarboxylation here :)

Lab Rat abandoned this method.
The greater yields past 4 or 5g is usually due to more plant waxes, lipids, etc.
I guess it's been awhile, but Tim & I did cannabinoid profile testing on most of the known methods.
QWET had, by far, the greatest yield of cannabinoids. Especially THC/THCa.
I posted several of these tests a few years ago & so did he.

I wondered about this. It just didn't sound like a process that Lab Rat would adopt.

Thanks cajun

I wondered about this. It just didn't sound like a process that Lab Rat would adopt.

Thanks cajun

Actually Jim, he embraced it initially. After a time he rethought and decided to listen to the reality that he was getting more pull but it wasn't pure enough. We're aiming for pure, easy, economical and the highest medicinal potency we can squeak out.

I got the impression that Lab Rat abandoned the higher yielding hot extraction that pulled out lots of other things besides the cannabinoids/terpenoids/flavonoids. However, I thought Lab Rat was still happy with the SCET?

I'd like to understand what problems would be associated with freezing the plant material if you get some time to elaborate :) Or at least why you advise against putting it in the freezer.
01-05-2016, 09:28 AM #1

Lab Rat

Lab Rat is offline 420 Member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Improved yield RSO

Most people out there do the QWET or Quick Wash Ethanol method which yields about 3-4 grams of oil per ounce or around 13% to 14% extraction yield. The total cannabinoid content of an ounce is about 5-5.5 grams of oil, anything above that is just chlorophyll and plant waxes.

The "SCET" method or Slow Cold Ethanol will output maximum cannabinoid content while keeping the chlorophyll and plant waxes locked away in a frozen state. Extraction yield will be 17% to 19% while your oil should look more translucent like maple syrup.

This method improves upon the one posted by 420 Motoco on his main thread so I will not cover the entire extraction:

How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil

I do a couple of quick blasts in a food processor, it helps break up the buds and lowers the amount of ethanol needed to cover the product.

Stick all your ethanol and product in the freezer for at least 12 hours. Once your ethanol reaches the coldest temperature your freezer can provide you are done, its not going to get colder by waiting any longer but you do want your product to freeze so 12 hours should be fine.

Mix your product with your ethanol in a jar with a lid and give it a good shake, put back in the freezer for 12 hours. After 12 hours shake again and put back in the freezer for another 12 hours, shake one last time and strain to get the big stuff out.

Strain through a coffee filter, for high amounts you want to do it through several filters at the same time to avoid warming up your ethanol. At those extremely low temperatures things will get stuck in the filter which would be liquid at room temperature. This is commonly referred to as "winterizing" or filtering while cold.

Evaporate the ethanol and decarb as per Motoco's instructions

This the latest info I have found on Labrat's method. He still recommends the SCET method here:scratchinghead:. Does anyone know where I can find his latest statement where he retracts this method.:green_heart:

You are talking about fresh flower not cured, correct? I have some Cali-Jack that is cured and at 65% humidity. That should be fine to put in the freezer, yes? :peace:

Yes Supergroomer I think you are right. My mistake I should of clarified a bit better Cajun bud. I am talking about dry decarbed bud not fresh flower. Thanks Super.

I'll post this both in SweetSue's study hall here and the decarboxylation in a pressure cooker thread here as it's relevant to both...

It looks like someone has already done some pressure cooker decarboxylation here :)

Thank you so much for that reference. That led me to "Another Tincture Thread...." on another site (google it) and I can see there's some Green Dragon and Honey Elixer in my future. :laughtwo:

I apologise Sue! I certainly didn't intend on the information having that effect :(

You can't blame yourself for what has happened, but by starting threads like this one and getting people together to help others you can certainly take away something positive from all of it. :Namaste:

I'm still grieving fookinel. It hasn't been a year yet since I lost his companionship, and that means on occassion I'm going to react in unexpected ways. Please, all of you, avoid the tendency to coddle me. I can handle it. I don't want any part of this project censored because you're worried about me. Understood? :circle-of-love:

Sue, You are a rock!
I think you are handling it all as well as possible. You will get hit with emotional waves, but you know Dale would want you to live life and be happy. Keep on keeping on ... we will all pass soon enough. Hows that for no coddle? Your current mission is important to many people, including myself. Thank you!

Best Wishes

JB

:circle-of-love:

I'm still grieving fookinel. It hasn't been a year yet since I lost his companionship, and that means on occassion I'm going to react in unexpected ways. Please, all of you, avoid the tendency to coddle me. I can handle it. I don't want any part of this project censored because you're worried about me. Understood? :circle-of-love:

Consider this a coddle-free zone! :thumb:

I tried my new concoction last night.. my next batch is with oil/water in the crock pot!!!

I took a little less than one ml, in theory almost 5 times as strong as my normal oil.. i took too much. Normally i would feel that amount a bit, just enough for a bit of relaxtion. I felt it way way much through the night, and i still feel it now.. rather i didn't to be honest! I'd even say that its decarbed fully @ 4 hours boiling water temperature.

In any case oil-water-crock pot is the real deal.. dosing much smaller (a small spray bottle will be perfect), cooking time will be less, almost no evaporation, and no smell while cooking! :)

I tried my new concoction last night.. my next batch is with oil/water in the crock pot!!!

I took a little less than one ml, in theory almost 5 times as strong as my normal oil.. i took too much. Normally i would feel that amount a bit, just enough for a bit of relaxtion. I felt it way way much through the night, and i still feel it now.. rather i didn't to be honest! I'd even say that its decarbed fully @ 4 hours boiling water temperature.

That sounds really good!

Do you have a recipe or are you planning to tweak it a bit more for the next batch? How much plant material/oil/water? I assume it was still fresh plant material? It was at roughly 100 degC for 4 hours for decarboxylation? And this was a crock pot, not a pressure cooker as you mentioned in an earlier post?

In any case oil-water-crock pot is the real deal.. dosing much smaller (a small spray bottle will be perfect), cooking time will be less, almost no evaporation, and no smell while cooking! :)

Isn't cooking time more?! Your last method was 2 hours and this is now 4 hours?

That sounds really good!

Do you have a recipe or are you planning to tweak it a bit more for the next batch? How much plant material/oil/water? I assume it was still fresh plant material? It was at roughly 100 degC for 4 hours for decarboxylation? And this was a crock pot, not a pressure cooker as you mentioned in an earlier post?

Isn't cooking time more?! Your last method was 2 hours and this is now 4 hours?

No no, the other day while i was making my usual oil, i additionally had another small normal pot going with some water, 12ml olive oil, 20grams fresh material, for 4 hours.
Now after sampling that 'experimental' batch, i'm sold on the water/oil method.. it really does allow you to get more cannabis into the olive oil.

Next step is to do a real batch with lets say 400grams fresh material, 0.2L olive oil (instead of 1L), several liters of water, and in a pressure cooker for about 2 hours (temperature goes up even for water in the pressure cooker). Only thing i'm gonna try to check first is the exact water temperature under pressure in the pressure cooker, and then adjust cooking time accordingly.. more or less should be about 2 hours though.

edit.. i MEANT pressure cooker, i just realized i was typing crockpot previously, soooorryyy!!

edit2.. i am now on the hunt for a pressure cooker with adjustable pressure and pressure gauge, then i would know exactly what temperature is in there, and could adjust it accordingly..

edit3.. found some pressure cookers with 2 'settings', 7 psi for 112 degrees celsius and 12 psi for 118 degrees. Perfect for 1.5 hours for THC extract and 1.1 hour for CBD extract.

Back
Top Bottom