SweetSue's Class Notes

Just part of strategic planning. I didn't think it should be on that chart myself because that's a different part of the planning and shouldn't be included with what's presented there.

It’s from a mini-seminar by Marie Ferleo. She sells an online business school for web entrepreneurs, and the charts and icons are designed to be eye-catching and provocative. I guess that strategy worked. Lol!

Your cells have "forests" of sugars covering their surfaces. What a fascinating visual.

At 4:55 she begins a discussion of how cancer cells change the density of sialic acid, one of those sugars. When immune cells "taste" the cells and find sialic acid they're lulled by the taste and leave the cell alone.

(From Wiki) Functions of sialic acid

Sialic acid-rich glycoproteins (sialoglycoproteins) bind selectin in humans and other organisms. Metastatic cancer cells often express a high density of sialic acid-rich glycoproteins. This overexpression of sialic acid on surfaces creates a negative charge on cell membranes. This creates repulsion between cells (cell opposition)[10] and helps these late-stage cancer cells enter the blood stream.

Many bacteria also use sialic acid in their biology, although this is usually limited to bacteria that live in association with higher animals (deuterostomes). Many of these incorporate sialic acid into cell surface features like their lipopolysaccharide and capsule, which helps them evade the innate immune response of the host.[11] Other bacteria simply use sialic acid as a good nutrient source, as it contains both carbon and nitrogen and can be converted to fructose-6-phosphate, which can then enter central metabolism.

Sialic acid-rich oligosaccharides on the glycoconjugates (glycolipids, glycoproteins, proteoglycans) found on surface membranes help keep water at the surface of cells[citation needed]. The sialic acid-rich regions contribute to creating a negative charge on the cells' surfaces. Since water is a polar molecule with partial positive charges on both hydrogen atoms, it is attracted to cell surfaces and membranes. This also contributes to cellular fluid uptake.

Sialic acid can "hide" mannose antigens on the surface of host cells or bacteria from mannose-binding lectin.[citation needed] This prevents activation of complement.

Sialic acid in the form of polysialic acid is an unusual posttranslational modification that occurs on the neural cell adhesion molecules (NCAMs). In the synapse, the strong negative charge of the polysialic acid prevents NCAM cross-linking of cells.

:nerd-with-glasses:I like the picture of human cells as bristling with forest of crystal sugars! I have been experimenting with beverages a bit and still trying new formulas for my "rub" salve. I am hoping that the addition of terpenes extracts along with the trusty organic emulsifiers in my experimental emulsions will increase uptake/bioavailability. Has anyone found a cheap way to make hydrogel nano emulsions?:yummy: I hope that we can find an organic, food grade formula for topicals and edibles that effectively get the meds into the right places. I have been getting some pain relief for years from my home made topical's and edibles, but I have improved them with using coconut oil, very pure CCO, and organic sunflower or soy lecithin. The addition of terpenes extracts also, seem to kick it up a notch, at least also for topicals and not just the vaping oil. :smokin:I am considering using more persistent skin applications, as well, that may extend the time the meds are available for absorption,especially when used under a patch! Tacking the gums is best, in order to possibly avoid tunnel vision/headaches from too much edibles, when you need a larger dose. However, treating localized pain from joints and or muscles/nerves , topicals can be soothing, if only in the mechanics of application! It seems to work for me in as little as 15 minutes, when I realize I have less pain and am able to ignore it better! :rollit: Keep up the great research,everyone!

The simple action of rubbing a topical into the skin ignites a series of chemical cascades in the cells that soothes and generates more healing energy.

Topicals are a godsend for many reasons.

We do have a member sniffing around the nano emulsion processes, and as soon as he figures it out we’ll hear from him. He seems to think it’s possible to pull off in the home kitchen, and we’re all hoping he’s right.

Have you ever tried BioBomb suppositories for pain management Tim?

Some days he haunts me. :laughtwo: I came across this resource and realized Cajun was in the audience on this day. :circle-of-love:

The simple action of rubbing a topical into the skin ignites a series of chemical cascades in the cells that soothes and generates more healing energy.

Topicals are a godsend for many reasons.

We do have a member sniffing around the nano emulsion processes, and as soon as he figures it out we’ll hear from him. He seems to think it’s possible to pull off in the home kitchen, and we’re all hoping he’s right.

Have you ever tried BioBomb suppositories for pain management Tim?
No Sue, not yet! Been saving that for the day when the other methods fail.

Tim....topicals so much more than relieve pain. I’d suggest you start using them and do so liberally.

I have been experimenting with terpines added to my topicals and oils and herbal oils/extracts of black pepper, rosemary,turmeric, chili's and ginger, among other things! Also good in stir fried dishes! If I could beat my sugar addiction,:smokin: I would be enjoying much better results, I'm sure!

If you stop telling yourself that story about how dangerous the sweets are you may find the craving for them will very gently and naturally fall away. The story reinforces the habit. Change the story and the cells have another roadmap to homeostasis.

“I anticipate that continuing down this path will eventually lead to better food choices since that’s what my cells will be asking for, and I’ll be listening to their song more closely.”

Or, “I constantly and consistently make healthy food choices.”

My favorite: “My cells use this food to fuel homeostasis. What isn’t needed is efficiently eliminated.”

I pay much more attention to the eating window than to what I eat. As I’ve moved further along with fasting I started making choices that gave me maximum nutritional value to get me through the fasting times comfortably. I haven’t yet given up sweets. :battingeyelashes:

I’ve been studying the RAS, finding an abundance of videos produced by those teaching you to program the RAS to manifest your desires. The last one I was listening to made me consider that what goes on with me is something different.

You focus on something and your RAS sorts out sensory data that reinforces your focus. I do that all the time. It’s manifestation 101 - you get what you focus on.

But I’ll tumble through the internet, heading in one direction but open to inspiration. Typically I’ll tumble into something of interest and find myself immersed in the subject for a day or so. Sometime in the following days I’ll find myself talking to someone who needed the precise information I was playing with.

That’s not the same thing as programming my RAS. That’s like something is programming me. :laughtwo:

The endocannabinoid system of the skin in health and disease

Just came across this. It's been right in front of me all the while. :oops:

Wait..... Wrong energy. Try again. :battingeyelashes:

Just came across this. It's been right there in front of me the whole time. :laughtwo:

I'm not sure if it has what I'm looking for, which is the key to scalp psoriasis, but I suspect it may. That would be a great relief. Lol! I'm pretty sure there's a big mental health component attached to the compulsive behavior that's behind the picking - which is dropping off as I close in on the keys :laughtwo: - and that's probably tied up in CBD.

I also came across Corrine's article on CBD over at wake + bake . More pieces to the puzzle may be in there somewhere.

A Deeper Look Into CBD — The Science, Benefits, and Ways to Consume it

After posting a beginner’s guide to CBD (which you can read here) I got so many questions about CBD that I decided to write a follow-up post. This post leans more towards the science and studies behind using CBD. Enjoy!

The two most prominent cannabinoids that naturally occur within the Cannabis Sativa plant are Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and Cannabidiol (CBD). Scientists believe there are over 100 naturally occurring cannabinoids found within this plant, most of which have yet to be identified.

Cannabis is not only a chemically complex plant; it’s a controversial one as well. Historically, cannabis was most known for its mind-altering effects. However, in the last century, scientists have conducted a number of studies exploring the many benefits of the second most prominent compound found in cannabis — CBD.

What’s the difference between THC and CBD?

THC and CBD are two entirely different compounds. THC is known for its mind-altering effects, whereas CBD offers a different experience.

THC and CBD both have very similar makeups. In fact, they appear almost identical when sketched out. However, the two are very different in the way they act upon our CB1 and CB2 receptors. Although these two receptors are found throughout our body, CB1 is found primarily within our nervous system and brain, whereas CB2 receptors are found in our immune system.

To understand how these two compounds affect the body, we first need to touch on a system that is naturally present within the body, the endocannabinoid system (ECS) –– a molecular system that helps maintain homeostatic balance within the body, keeping everything as it should be.

The ECS is constantly promoting health and maintaining balance physiologically, which means your body is making endocannabinoids all the time. Our body naturally knows how and when to make these cannabinoids which promote and balance our overall health. These endocannabinoids are our body’s natural way to stimulate or communicate to our CB1 and CB2 receptors.

So when we feel pain or have inflammation, our ECS communicates to our receptors through our endocannabinoids to bring our body back into homeostasis. Our endocannabinoids function much like the cannabinoids found in the cannabis plant.

For some, the endocannabinoid system may not be functioning at its optimal level. So by consuming phytocannabinoids like CBD or THC, the body’s ECS can continue to promote homeostasis even when we lack our own endocannabinoids (1).

When THC enters the body, it directly binds to and stimulates our CB1 receptors. This induces a nervous system response that ultimately causes a psychotropic effect. To a lesser degree, THC stimulates our CB2 receptors, inducing pain relief and an increased appetite.

CBD, on the other hand, slightly changes the structures of our CB1 receptors. This allows these receptors to be more susceptible to our natural endocannabinoids, specifically the ones that make you feel relaxed. And it’s with this change that CBD actually blocks the psychoactive effect that THC gives.

Basically, the purpose of CBD is to activate the production of our body’s natural endocannabinoids; and to give you all the positive effects of what the cannabis plant without any psychoactive effects (2).

What are the scientific backed benefits of CBD?

In the last decade, CBD has been on the rise for many people. More medical studies are being done, and many people are reporting amazing results in their health with the use of CBD.
To date, CBD has been used as a natural medicine for:
  • Reducing inflammation
  • Pain relief
  • Reducing anxiety, depression, and stress
  • Alleviating cancer-related symptoms
  • Reducing seizures, and
  • Improving an overall healthy lifestyle.
Here are just a few science-backed benefits of CBD.

CBD as an anti-inflammatory

Studies have shown that treating Rheumatoid Arthritis with 5mg/kg of CBD daily helps prevent the advancement of this painful inflammatory disease (3).

In another study backed by The Arthritis Society, CBD not only prevented acute inflammation, but it also blocked the pain in Osteoarthritis models. In this same study, researchers noted that applying topical CBD resulted in significant arthritic relief. Researchers also reported no side effects in the animal models with the use of CBD (4,5).

CBD’s anti-inflammatory properties have also helped people suffering from digestive problems such as IBS, Crohn’s and Colitis, which usually involves inflammation of the intestines.

For example, in one study, CBD was administered in Ulcerative Colitis patients. Once the study ended, the results showed that CBD remarkably reduced inflammation and abdominal damage. Scientists suggest, from these results, that CBD may be an alternative way to treat digestive diseases (6).

CBD as an anti-seizure

Seizures and epilepsy have been the main focus for scientific research, especially in children. CBD not only contains anti-inflammatory properties, but it also produces antioxidants which positively communicate with our neuro-receptors.

In a recent study, conducted by GW Pharmaceuticals, three placebo-controlled, double-blind trials involved patients suffering from Dravet and Lennox-Gastaut syndromes. CBD was administered to each patient, and by week 14 researchers saw a huge reduction of seizures in a number of patients (7).

Shortly after this study, the FDA approved the first cannabinoid-based, plant-derived, synthetic-free drug, Epidiolex –– an oral prescription drug for treating epilepsy and seizures, more specifically in children suffering from Lennox-Gastaut and Dravet syndrome.

CBD helps in lowering anxiety

Most people have seen the therapeutic effects CBD has in reducing stress and anxiety in their day-to-day life. Though more studies are being done, researchers have discovered how CBD affects the brain by using neuroimaging.

For example, a study was conducted on participants struggling with Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD). Through parametric mapping, and after CBD was administered, researchers saw a change in the blood flow of the limbic and paralimbic brain –– regions of the brain where we feel anxious. Scientists not only noticed an improvement in the participants’ overall well-being, but they also saw a physical change in the neuroimages of the participants’ brains as well (8).

Multiple scientific studies have also shown positive results in people who suffer or struggle with:
  • PTSD (9)
  • Schizophrenia (10,11)
  • Depression (12,13)
  • Sleep (14)
What’s the best way to consume CBD?

It’s clear that the empirical data on the multiple benefits of CBD continue to pile up. And as more studies are being conducted, new products are flooding the market. For first time CBD consumers, it can be a bit overwhelming to choose the CBD product that works best for you.

Thankfully, it’s easier than most people think.

Here are some of the most popular ways to consume CBD:
  • CBD oil and tinctures–– designed for sublingual intake. Holding a small amount of oil under the tongue for a couple of minutes before swallowing. CBD oil can also be vaporized. However, CBD tinctures that contain alcohol cannot be vaporized.
  • CBD edibles –– these are products infused with CBD and designed to be eaten. Edibles typically take longer to take effect, depending on the consumer’s metabolism.
  • CBD pills –– again, depending on the individual’s metabolism, CBD pills may take longer to take effect. However, CBD pills are a more discreet way to consume CBD.
Sources:
  1. What Is the Endocannabinoid System and What Is Its Role? | Leafly
  2. The Difference Between THC and CBD | CBD Oil Review
  3. Cannabinoids as novel anti-inflammatory drugs
  4. Attenuation of early phase inflammation by cannabidiol prevents pain and nerve damage in rat osteoarthritis
  5. Transdermal cannabidiol reduces inflammation and pain-related behaviours in a rat model of arthritis
  6. Cannabidiol reduces intestinal inflammation through the control of neuroimmune axis. - PubMed - NCBI
  7. U.S. Food and Drug Administration
  8. Effects of ipsapirone and cannabidiol on human experimental anxiety. - PubMed - NCBI
  9. Cannabidiol blocks long-lasting behavioral consequences of predator threat stress: possible involvement of 5HT1A receptors. - PubMed - NCBI
  10. Cannabidiol enhances anandamide signaling and alleviates psychotic symptoms of schizophrenia
  11. Cannabis with high cannabidiol content is associated with fewer psychotic experiences. - PubMed - NCBI
  12. Prohedonic Effect of Cannabidiol in a Rat Model of Depression. - PubMed - NCBI
  13. Antidepressant-like and anxiolytic-like effects of cannabidiol: a chemical compound of Cannabis sativa. - PubMed - NCBI
  14. Cannabidiol, a Cannabis sativa constituent, as an antipsychotic drug. - PubMed - NCBI
puff puff pass:

I’m gonna need you guys to remind me that not everyone studies as diligently as I or comprehends the technical stuff as well. Reading Corrine’s take has me cringing. I’m doing my best to just read it and appreciate what she brings to the table.

There are glaring concerns that make me want to scream, and it’s not fair to her and all her hard work if I keep making judgements. There’s nothing to be gained going down that path.

Makes me want to study harder. :straightface:

Let’s take a closer look.

A Deeper Look Into CBD — The Science, Benefits, and Ways to Consume it

After posting a beginner’s guide to CBD (which you can read here) I got so many questions about CBD that I decided to write a follow-up post. This post leans more towards the science and studies behind using CBD. Enjoy!

The two most prominent cannabinoids that naturally occur within the Cannabis Sativa plant are Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and Cannabidiol (CBD).

Cannabis expresses predominantly THCA and CBDA. If cannabis expressed THC and CBD in significant volume we wouldn’t need to decarboxylate.

Scientists believe there are over 100 naturally occurring cannabinoids found within this plant, most of which have yet to be identified.

What a sad truth.

Cannabis is not only a chemically complex plant; it’s a controversial one as well. Historically, cannabis was most known for its mind-altering effects.

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! Historically, cannabis has been known as one of the premier healing plants available on the planet.

It’s in recent history, with prohibition forcing cannabis underground and squelching the holistic teachings of generations that we’ve come to think of cannabis in terms of being defined by the mind-altering abilities of THC.

100 years of prohibition against 10s of thousands of years of recorded history..... *sigh*

However, in the last century, scientists have conducted a number of studies exploring the many benefits of the second most prominent compound found in cannabis — CBD.

What’s the difference between THC and CBD?

THC and CBD are two entirely different compounds. THC is known for its mind-altering effects, whereas CBD offers a different experience.

It’s THC that makes pain a distant visitor, THC that causes cancer cell apoptosis, THC that potentiates the abilities of CBD, THC that quiets the voices in the schizophrenic’s head, THC that helps the PTSD patient break the memory loops, THC that brings the sweet promise of relief and rejuvenation of sleep.

But for this article, the noble and hard-working molecule we know as THC was reduced to the realm of the creator of the buzz. :straightface:

THC and CBD both have very similar makeups. In fact, they appear almost identical when sketched out. However, the two are very different in the way they act upon our CB1 and CB2 receptors. Although these two receptors are found throughout our body, CB1 is found primarily within our nervous system and brain, whereas CB2 receptors are found in our immune system.

To understand how these two compounds affect the body, we first need to touch on a system that is naturally present within the body, the endocannabinoid system (ECS) –– a molecular system that helps maintain homeostatic balance within the body, keeping everything as it should be.

The ECS is constantly promoting health and maintaining balance physiologically, which means your body is making endocannabinoids all the time. Our body naturally knows how and when to make these cannabinoids which promote and balance our overall health. These endocannabinoids are our body’s natural way to stimulate or communicate to our CB1 and CB2 receptors.

So when we feel pain or have inflammation, our ECS communicates to our receptors through our endocannabinoids to bring our body back into homeostasis. Our endocannabinoids function much like the cannabinoids found in the cannabis plant.

I feel like it’s more appropriate to say the phytocannabinoids mirror the action of our endocannabinoids.

For some, the endocannabinoid system may not be functioning at its optimal level. So by consuming phytocannabinoids like CBD or THC, the body’s ECS can continue to promote homeostasis even when we lack our own endocannabinoids (1).

When THC enters the body, it directly binds to and stimulates our CB1 receptors. This induces a nervous system response that ultimately causes a psychotropic effect. To a lesser degree, THC stimulates our CB2 receptors, inducing pain relief and an increased appetite.

Ah... a little save. :battingeyelashes:

CBD, on the other hand, slightly changes the structures of our CB1 receptors. This allows these receptors to be more susceptible to our natural endocannabinoids, specifically the ones that make you feel relaxed. And it’s with this change that CBD actually blocks the psychoactive effect that THC gives.

This section makes my spider senses tingle. CBD blocks the uptake of eCBs, leaving more circulating, the expectation being they’ll find other cells in need of signaling.

Working through an allosteric receptor (like a back door panel) it changes the shape of the receptor. Since THC isn’t a strong connection to the receptors to begin with, this effectively offsets THC-induced euphoria by limiting the number of available receptors.

At least that’s how I understand it. I’ll dig deeper.

Basically, the purpose of CBD is to activate the production of our body’s natural endocannabinoids; and to give you all the positive effects of what the cannabis plant without any psychoactive effects (2).

No. I strongly disagree. :straightface:

What are the scientific backed benefits of CBD?

In the last decade, CBD has been on the rise for many people. More medical studies are being done, and many people are reporting amazing results in their health with the use of CBD.
To date, CBD has been used as a natural medicine for:
  • Reducing inflammation
  • Pain relief
  • Reducing anxiety, depression, and stress
  • Alleviating cancer-related symptoms
  • Reducing seizures, and
  • Improving an overall healthy lifestyle.
Here are just a few science-backed benefits of CBD.

CBD as an anti-inflammatory

Studies have shown that treating Rheumatoid Arthritis with 5mg/kg of CBD daily helps prevent the advancement of this painful inflammatory disease (3).

Great to know. :slide:

In another study backed by The Arthritis Society, CBD not only prevented acute inflammation, but it also blocked the pain in Osteoarthritis models. In this same study, researchers noted that applying topical CBD resulted in significant arthritic relief. Researchers also reported no side effects in the animal models with the use of CBD (4,5).

I’ll be looking more closely into these studies. What do they consider “significant” and how did that compare to a THC-based topical?

CBD’s anti-inflammatory properties have also helped people suffering from digestive problems such as IBS, Crohn’s and Colitis, which usually involves inflammation of the intestines.

To my understanding, the addition of THC to those regimens significantly improves results.

For example, in one study, CBD was administered in Ulcerative Colitis patients. Once the study ended, the results showed that CBD remarkably reduced inflammation and abdominal damage. Scientists suggest, from these results, that CBD may be an alternative way to treat digestive diseases (6).

THC and CBD potentiate each other. It doesn’t take much THC to increase the effectiveness of CBD in these treatments. It’s kind of crazy to be avoiding that glaring truth as we develop medical cannabis programs.

CBD as an anti-seizure

Seizures and epilepsy have been the main focus for scientific research, especially in children. CBD not only contains anti-inflammatory properties, but it also produces antioxidants which positively communicate with our neuro-receptors.

In a recent study, conducted by GW Pharmaceuticals, three placebo-controlled, double-blind trials involved patients suffering from Dravet and Lennox-Gastaut syndromes. CBD was administered to each patient, and by week 14 researchers saw a huge reduction of seizures in a number of patients (7).

My problem with this section has nothing to do with this truth, but rather I believe we had a series of visits from the parent of one of the children abandoned by this study when they had their data in hand to get FDA approval. That callous move nearly killed that darling girl. Her father came to us desperate, and we did what we could to help him find the information needed at the time to stabilize her seizures.

Shortly after this study, the FDA approved the first cannabinoid-based, plant-derived, synthetic-free drug, Epidiolex –– an oral prescription drug for treating epilepsy and seizures, more specifically in children suffering from Lennox-Gastaut and Dravet syndrome.

CBD helps in lowering anxiety

Most people have seen the therapeutic effects CBD has in reducing stress and anxiety in their day-to-day life. Though more studies are being done, researchers have discovered how CBD affects the brain by using neuroimaging.

For example, a study was conducted on participants struggling with Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD). Through parametric mapping, and after CBD was administered, researchers saw a change in the blood flow of the limbic and paralimbic brain –– regions of the brain where we feel anxious. Scientists not only noticed an improvement in the participants’ overall well-being, but they also saw a physical change in the neuroimages of the participants’ brains as well (8).

Neat! I’ll go digging into that too. Cool... an explaination that makes perfect sense.

Consider: anxious people don’t sleep well, and it’s in sleep that the brain cleans itself. All this links together to make the picture clearer. :slide:

Multiple scientific studies have also shown positive results in people who suffer or struggle with:
  • PTSD (9)
  • Schizophrenia (10,11)
  • Depression (12,13)
  • Sleep (14)
What’s the best way to consume CBD?

It’s clear that the empirical data on the multiple benefits of CBD continue to pile up. And as more studies are being conducted, new products are flooding the market. For first time CBD consumers, it can be a bit overwhelming to choose the CBD product that works best for you.

Thankfully, it’s easier than most people think.

Here are some of the most popular ways to consume CBD:
  • CBD oil and tinctures–– designed for sublingual intake. Holding a small amount of oil under the tongue for a couple of minutes before swallowing. CBD oil can also be vaporized. However, CBD tinctures that contain alcohol cannot be vaporized.
  • CBD edibles –– these are products infused with CBD and designed to be eaten. Edibles typically take longer to take effect, depending on the consumer’s metabolism.
  • CBD pills –– again, depending on the individual’s metabolism, CBD pills may take longer to take effect. However, CBD pills are a more discreet way to consume CBD.
Sources:

Thank You Corrine. :hug:
  1. What Is the Endocannabinoid System and What Is Its Role? | Leafly
  2. The Difference Between THC and CBD | CBD Oil Review
  3. Cannabinoids as novel anti-inflammatory drugs
  4. Attenuation of early phase inflammation by cannabidiol prevents pain and nerve damage in rat osteoarthritis
  5. Transdermal cannabidiol reduces inflammation and pain-related behaviours in a rat model of arthritis
  6. Cannabidiol reduces intestinal inflammation through the control of neuroimmune axis. - PubMed - NCBI
  7. www.fda.gov/
  8. Effects of ipsapirone and cannabidiol on human experimental anxiety. - PubMed - NCBI
  9. Cannabidiol blocks long-lasting behavioral consequences of predator threat stress: possible involvement of 5HT1A receptors. - PubMed - NCBI
  10. Cannabidiol enhances anandamide signaling and alleviates psychotic symptoms of schizophrenia
  11. Cannabis with high cannabidiol content is associated with fewer psychotic experiences. - PubMed - NCBI
  12. Prohedonic Effect of Cannabidiol in a Rat Model of Depression. - PubMed - NCBI
  13. Antidepressant-like and anxiolytic-like effects of cannabidiol: a chemical compound of Cannabis sativa. - PubMed - NCBI
  14. Cannabidiol, a Cannabis sativa constituent, as an antipsychotic drug. - PubMed - NCBI
puff puff pass:

Back
Top Bottom