Tangwena's Malawi-Style Cob Cure: Fermented Cannabis

That looks insane! I’ve just started a new grow so looks like I’ll have another task to do come harvest time. If this process was applied to trim then there would be no need to use buds in the edibles department, right? Just a thought. A whole new level of excitement!

:welcome: to the party Ozinugs. :hug: We’re of mixed feelings as to what part of the plant is acceptable to cob and what’s best left to the concentrates pile. My study of the endocannabinoid system and how cannabis interfaces with it leads me to believe that there’s great value in including, as much as is possible, a cross-section of the plant, tip to toe, so trim would certainly fit right into my paradigm.

However, I’d be balancing mine to include excellent buds as the majority of the cob mix. Most of the plant’s oil is going to found up there in the top buds. That’s just simple plant biology.

As far as I know no one has tried a cob made exclusively of trim, and to judge the efficacy you’d really need a companion cob made of your best buds or cross-section, as is your inclination.

I heartily endorse your experimenting. Think of what that’d mean for the rest of us. :)

Anyone else game to experiment that has a harvest eminent? :battingeyelashes:

I also like the idea of trying one with just fans. Not sure what potency you’d get from that, but it might be a good option for someone needing a very low dose, like an elderly patient. :hmmmm:

@tangwena, I can’t claim more than guidance for Brix’s cobs. He’s doing all the work himself, and doing a damned good job, IMO.

:welcome: to the party Ozinugs. :hug: We’re of mixed feelings as to what part of the plant is acceptable to cob and what’s best left to the concentrates pile. My study of the endocannabinoid system and how cannabis interfaces with it leads me to believe that there’s great value in including as much of a cross-section of the plant, tip to toe, so trim would certainly fit right into my paradigm.

However, I’d be balancing mine to include excellent buds as the majority of the cob mix. Most of the plant’s oil is going to found up there in the top buds. That’s just simple plant biology.

As far as I know no one has tried a cob made exclusively of trim, and to judge the efficacy you’d really need a companion cob made of your best buds or cross-section, as is your inclination.

I heartily endorse your experimenting. Think of what that’d mean for the rest of us. :)

Anyone else game to experiment that has a harvest eminent? :battingeyelashes:

I also like the idea of trying one with just fans. Not sure what potency you’d get from that, but it might be a good option for someone needing a very low dose, like an elderly patient. :hmmmm:

@tangwena, I can’t claim more than guidance for Brix’s cobs. He’s doing all the work himself, and doing a damned good job, IMO.

Thanks , we currently use our frosty bud trim only for edibles and that works very well, also from what I’ve seen from this Cob process it would seem a great way to increase potency. Buds would still be optimal to Cob and kept for the benefit of smoking, chewing or teas. It would be very interesting to see if there were any added benefits on the medical side after the fermentation process was complete. Does anybody know if there has been any testing of completed cobs in this regard? Fascinating topic, thanks to all for sharing, I’m sure we will be hearing much more about this with more research.
Cheers everyone

Here is some Mextiza from Carraxe over at IC he has developed his own take on fermenting and is getting great results.
This pic is straight after fermentation and prior to drying and aging.
He grows mostly sativa land races and is finding fermentation right up his ally.

Check out the lovely colors already I can only imagine the aromas.

mextizaby carraxe.jpg

That looks insane! I’ve just started a new grow so looks like I’ll have another task to do come harvest time. If this process was applied to trim then there would be no need to use buds in the edibles department, right? Just a thought. A whole new level of excitement!
A fellow Aussie I see cool my friend best wishes for your grow.
I have used leaves in fermenting tests mostly to see how they change color at what temps ect not to consume though.
They will change to nice yellows,oranges and dark grey colors quite quickly but IMO are only of use in compost you will not get any noticeable high from them in fact quite the opposite.
But if you are after other medicinal type effects they may be of some use. Fermenting will not make weak weed strong you need to use potent quality weed to get potent quality effects.

Hi Tangwena,
Good to see so many Aussies on this site, not surprising really.
I’ve noticed the Cobs are prepared without trimming off all the leaves, why is this?. Does the leaf matter help with the fermentation process? If not so much, why would you not manicure the buds before starting so that there was only optimal material undergoing the fermentation process? I’m curious because my initial thought was a grower could create 2 tiers of product using buds first and that final trim material, which to be honest given the strains being grown today, is so loaded with trichomes that it’s not to far behind by comparison given the ratio of trichomes/leaf matter.
I’ve included a photo of the type of trim I’ll include when I finally get a chance to experiment, about 7 / 8 weeks from now. I’m possibly more excited about this than X-Mass, for the time being anyway.
Thanks so much for feedback, as stated before fascinating topic. :passitleft::thumb:

Final trim for consideration.
F9DC796C-CB36-45E0-A812-46CD77F6AE31.jpeg

Hi Tangwena,
Good to see so many Aussies on this site, not surprising really.
I’ve noticed the Cobs are prepared without trimming off all the leaves, why is this?. Does the leaf matter help with the fermentation process? If not so much, why would you not manicure the buds before starting so that there was only optimal material undergoing the fermentation process? I’m curious because my initial thought was a grower could create 2 tiers of product using buds first and that final trim material, which to be honest given the strains being grown today, is so loaded with trichomes that it’s not to far behind by comparison given the ratio of trichomes/leaf matter.
I’ve included a photo of the type of trim I’ll include when I finally get a chance to experiment, about 7 / 8 weeks from now. I’m possibly more excited about this than X-Mass, for the time being anyway.
Thanks so much for feedback, as stated before fascinating topic. :passitleft::thumb:

Final trim for consideration.
F9DC796C-CB36-45E0-A812-46CD77F6AE31.jpeg
Wow thats why I dont trim them my friend that there is good pot.
Of course you can manicure them and get that certain taste of manicured buds.

Its just a preference on my part from when I used to still smoke. I actually prefer the taste of whole buds sugar leaf and all when its been fermented they have their own special flavor.
That and its what the Malawians used to do so I try to keep it authentic but there would be no reason that trim such as you have in the picture would not cure into a very nice product.
If you give it a try please post pics of the finished product and your take on the effect, taste ect compared to say the manicured buds.
I would just stick the whole plant in a bag and ferment it if I could find a bag big enough ha ha.
I really enjoy sticking whole colas in a vac bag they make totally different pot compared to the lower buds and colas.
A big plant is like a Christmas tree of presents the presents being the different levels of maturity you get on the waves of finish to the circles of branches.
I hope that makes sense ha ha. You are right to get excited my friend if you pull this off well, like a few members on this forum have you will find a whole new hobby.

I can’t claim more than guidance for Brix’s cobs. He’s doing all the work himself, and doing a damned good job, IMO.
Sometimes just being in the same room is enough Sue.
If I was a religious person I would claim god spoke to me the other day but I'm sure it was just my wondering mind ha ha.

I was waiting for news on my father in laws prospects after being diagnosed with cancer. I was with my mother in law trying to keep her spirits up.

When I got this huge rush of euphoria and couldn't help myself I had to start dancing and singing.
She looked at me with sad eyes and I said "I didn't want to jinx anything but I had a feeling we were about to get good news".

Half an hour later my sister in law phoned to say he was all clear. I could not believe it, it was the final test after they told him he had 6 months to live.

I know it was really just 50/50 but man that rush I have never experienced before, but it could have just been the cob I suppose. But lets just dream for a bit hey?
Believe in everything its all possible.

Wow thats why I dont trim them my friend that there is good pot.
Of course you can manicure them and get that certain taste of manicured buds.

Its just a preference on my part from when I used to still smoke. I actually prefer the taste of whole buds sugar leaf and all when its been fermented they have their own special flavor.
That and its what the Malawians used to do so I try to keep it authentic but there would be no reason that trim such as you have in the picture would not cure into a very nice product.
If you give it a try please post pics of the finished product and your take on the effect, taste ect compared to say the manicured buds.
I would just stick the whole plant in a bag and ferment it if I could find a bag big enough ha ha.
I really enjoy sticking whole colas in a vac bag they make totally different pot compared to the lower buds and colas.
A big plant is like a Christmas tree of presents the presents being the different levels of maturity you get on the waves of finish to the circles of branches.
I hope that makes sense ha ha. You are right to get excited my friend if you pull this off well, like a few members on this forum have you will find a whole new hobby.
Hi Tangwena,
Thanks for taking the time to respond. It’s all getting clearer now with all the info I’ve been able to sift through. Personally I too would leave the frosty trim on it’s just a good alternative to sacrificing buds for the edibles, which is probably why they work so well. I certainly will document both when the time comes and I’m guessing good things will come from both. Here’s to the Malawians and their ingenuity!:thumb:

Believe in everything its all possible.

In the joyful bubble of my personal universe there are no impossibilities. Lol! We are kindred souls, my friend, and that was a delightful read. Great news about you father in law and your cosmic connection. :hug:

Hi Tangwena,
Thanks for taking the time to respond. It’s all getting clearer now with all the info I’ve been able to sift through. Personally I too would leave the frosty trim on it’s just a good alternative to sacrificing buds for the edibles, which is probably why they work so well. I certainly will document both when the time comes and I’m guessing good things will come from both. Here’s to the Malawians and their ingenuity!:thumb:

That Malawian ingenuity has enhanced all our lives, and we’ve just started. :battingeyelashes:

I never cut off sugar leaves, just the very tips of them really. I remove fans and sugar leaf tips and cob or turn the rest into oils.

This morning I’m testing a chew of some 5-month old Carnival.

The date on the jar is 6-8-18, and I just realized I’ll have the chance to chew some - provided I smuggle it in, and you can count on that - on my birthday, the 8th of next month, when this cob will be 6-months old. :slide:

Wow! That was some nice timing, and I didn’t even realize I was doing it until now. Lol!

I love those tingles that run under the skin when the cob kicks into high gear. :slide:

I love those tingles that run under the skin when the cob kicks into high gear. :slide:
I love the mania that runs through my brain, the joy of life and anticipation for the events to unfold.
It makes even mundane every day occurrences seem fresh like I'm seeing them for the first time every time.
Especially the connection I feel to everyone I see, let alone meet I've never had that on anything before.
i just feel love and connected to everything animals people the universe you name it rampant joy at just being alive.

I just feel love and connected to everything animals people the universe you name it rampant joy at just being alive.

You’re singing my song Tangwena. :hug:

Welcome to the cobbing adventure @ArtMonkey, @Piña Delores , and @RainyNumbers :hug: Wow! Three new converts in one day @tangwena. :yahoo:

And Happy Thanksgiving to all of you celebrating. I don’t know about you, but I started the day with a small chew, this one made with my delicious Dark Devil Auto. Yum!

In the US they stopped training the K9s to hit on cannabis a couple years back Van. I like Tang’s idea of double bagged with perfume in the outer bag. Thankfully I won’t have to try this. When I travel next week it’ll be to Doob’s house and I’ll have a supply of cannabis available.

Someday we’ll be free to carry it anywhere. I personally can’t wait for that blissful moment when the powers that be accept that THC isn’t something to be afraid of.

I think you’re kinda spoiled by the shroms- you lucky man - and you’re chasing the wrong kinda high, but there’s also the intensity that comes with curing, and that’s something we have yet to get to. Give it time and keep trying.

You mention the pleasurable experience of the buzz, and as I was reading your posts to BrixNewb’s lovely partner we got to talking. She’s new to the experience of cobs, but she’s quite enthusiastic about the energetic sense of “All is well” that comes with them, and I’d have to admit that the sense of the universe smiling with you is one of the reasons I chew.

I have yet to try shroms. That’s something I’ll be making a priority. Twice in a week the idea has jumped to the front of the line. I’ll take that as a sign. Lol!

Wow! I’d like to see the effects of cobbing on CBD chemovars too. We’ve ramped up the interest in indicas, since so many grow them, but so far I don’t recall anyone jumping in with CBD dominants. Do you have any yourself to work with?

We do have a community grow thread dedicated to high CBD chemovars you might be interested in. CBD Joy I bet you could get someone over there excited about cobbing. Lol!

At least it’s not wasted Kismet. You should still be able to smoke it.

Thanks Sweet Sue! I have grown a few high CBD strains and confirmed a few phenos with the reagent test. I am not growing anything at the moment. I want to get freshly harvested CBD-rich hemp to cob. We have several legal farms in our state that I will contact.

I didn't get the chance to experiment more with my last plant (Guawi-Ace) the way I hoped. My plan was to cob it a few different ways and try an experiment with LAB but things came up and when I had a chance to get to the buds they were a bit dry. So I chucked them in a vac bag compressed and sealed to maximize what moisture was left for the sweat @110 f/12 hrs, I believe that was on 11.19. I didn't open the bag for the sweat and just left it alone until yesterday 11.25. The bag was sticky inside and there was a very slight smell of ferment. The color had changed slightly too. There were sections where the resin had formed into a glass like coating on the surface. It appears as I imagine the very finest mexican brick would. A piece fell off so I tried a few bong rips. It was still a bit moist to smoke well but from what I tried it was strong and hit you quickly, but was also some very sneaky creeper weed... The high was happy and alert, but with a bit of disorientation in the background....I think over-indulgence of this one will scramble your brains.
I also had the opportunity to try a canary bud from the Queen Mother in a joint an hour after the bong rips. I was still high from the Guawi and feeling a bit dazed. As the joint burned about halfway my high shifted completely like a bullet through a smoke cloud, and my high was crystal clear and focused. Very excited to see how they develop after ageing!

Right before the sweat:

20181118_152443.jpg

Today after drying:
20181125_114224.jpg
20181126_102057.jpg

I took the cobs out and dried the outsides for the last time before leaving them alone and ageing them. They smell crazy good! I am Very pleased.
20181126_102105.jpg

Thanks Sweet Sue! I have grown a few high CBD strains and confirmed a few phenos with the reagent test. I am not growing anything at the moment. I want to get freshly harvested CBD-rich hemp to cob. We have several legal farms in our state that I will contact.

Oooo.... what a delicious plan RainyNumbers. :high-five: Then we’ll be able to add that to the data banks of our experience. This is starting to get to be more and more fun. :slide:

I took the cobs out and dried the outsides for the last time before leaving them alone and ageing them. They smell crazy good! I am Very pleased.
20181126_102105.jpg

I smiled all the way through that wonderful report CC. :battingeyelashes: It feels a lot better now that you got a first taste, doesn’t it? Lol! We all held our breath that first time. It’s a lot of plant material to commit.

I’m thrilled this paid off for you. Well done!

Brother your absolutely killing it! Those are some mighty fine examples of the best curing my friend.
I reckon 5 years from now after a bit of experimentation people will cue to try your cobs ha ha.
Its a real pleasure to see your love of this plant expressed in this way mind blowing my friend.
Thank you for saying so brother, I am very impressed with this method, and happy you find them up to snuff. What a great thing you have introduced to so many people. I was an extraction lab tech at a vape cartridge company getting more bored with cannabis processing by the day... until I took a look at your thread. You are the man.. your enthusiasm is infectious, your tales inspired me to try - bless you!

I smiled all the way through that wonderful report CC. :battingeyelashes: It feels a lot better now that you got a first taste, doesn’t it? Lol! We all held our breath that first time. It’s a lot of plant material to commit.

I’m thrilled this paid off for you. Well done!

Haha! Thanks for the kind words SweetSue - yes I waited with baited breath lol...the moment of truth paid off - whew!

I didn't get the chance to experiment more with my last plant (Guawi-Ace) the way I hoped. My plan was to cob it a few different ways and try an experiment with LAB but things came up and when I had a chance to get to the buds they were a bit dry. So I chucked them in a vac bag compressed and sealed to maximize what moisture was left for the sweat @110 f/12 hrs, I believe that was on 11.19. I didn't open the bag for the sweat and just left it alone until yesterday 11.25. The bag was sticky inside and there was a very slight smell of ferment. The color had changed slightly too. There were sections where the resin had formed into a glass like coating on the surface. It appears as I imagine the very finest mexican brick would. A piece fell off so I tried a few bong rips. It was still a bit moist to smoke well but from what I tried it was strong and hit you quickly, but was also some very sneaky creeper weed... The high was happy and alert, but with a bit of disorientation in the background....I think over-indulgence of this one will scramble your brains.
I also had the opportunity to try a canary bud from the Queen Mother in a joint an hour after the bong rips. I was still high from the Guawi and feeling a bit dazed. As the joint burned about halfway my high shifted completely like a bullet through a smoke cloud, and my high was crystal clear and focused. Very excited to see how they develop after ageing!

Right before the sweat:

20181118_152443.jpg

Today after drying:
20181125_114224.jpg
20181126_102057.jpg

20181126_102105.jpg
Very nice! Another graduate to mentor masses. Hope you don’t mind if I follow along. :welldone::adore:

Back
Top Bottom