Tangwena's Malawi-Style Cob Cure: Fermented Cannabis

I think the key is to squash the hell out of it. It also damages the cells of the bud, which probably helps the soup form.

Hmm? Anyone brave enough to try hard-freezing one of these before zipping it up into its little cob sleeping bag? That ought to burst cell walls, depending on their moisture content.

A saltwater marinade was my first thought, but freezing seemed kinder.

And yet again, I find myself wishing my buddy hadn't managed to get himself fired from the local wastewater treatment plant. Their lab is... Someone must have been off his nut when he stocked that lab, because there are thousands of dollars worth of equipment that is of no useful purpose to the plant (or else the person was a bit like me, and liked to... play ;) ). I wouldn't be wondering how I could use a pressure canner to place cannabis in a high-pressure environment without getting it wet if I could just throw it in a box and set the dial to five atmospheres.

Thanks friend.

The buds were about a day and a half from when I would normally jar them. They were quite moist and gummy and easily squished into the cobs. The cobs seem quite damp and swishy.

I hope it's still good. I feel like good things are happening in there.

When's the best moisture level to start cobbing? Let's say I normally dry for five days till the buds are dry enough to jar. What day would be the best day to use those buds to start cobbing instead ?

:passitleft:

:passitleft: Thanks

I went two days hanging for the Malawi cobs and I think they were the perfect moisture content.

The Jamaican was drying low and slo since the 18th. The buds were a perfect 80% once I let them get to room temp. I took out an ounce for a cob and a half ounce for a canary, with the daughter’s blessing. We have two more in flower, so she can afford to let me have this bit. :battingeyelashes:

I’ve already noticed that the temp settings aren’t as true as I thought they’d be. I’ll keep adjusting until I get a true 104 F and start the timer then.

Let the cob sit in the dehydrator for 24 hours. Just checked it and I think it was too dry. I added some more moisture and going to seal it up and let it keep going. Smell was pretty much unchanged from the before the sweat: weed and citrus.

Maybe some more moisture and more heat will get the micro-herd working.

I’ve already noticed that the temp settings aren’t as true as I thought they’d be. I’ll keep adjusting until I get a true 104 F and start the timer then.

It might also be worth checking to see how narrow the... whatchamacallit, the response is on it. In other words... You set it for 104°F / 40°C, it heats up, the heater kicks off, the temperature starts to fall, it falls a bit more, then the heater kicks back on and it's rinse/lather/repeat at that point. How much of a temperature drop does the device allow to occur before it reheats?

I don't know how important it is to maintain a stable temperature. Obviously, you wouldn't want it to drop too far, but a little bit of a cycle probably isn't significant. OtOH, a large one might be - and, as you continue to experiment and refine your technique, the ability to control such variables does become more important. Also, a dehydrator isn't intended to be used as a cooking device, lol - so it might actually be designed to implement a (relatively) large temperature cycle for all I know. Although probably not, if it has some sort of fan inside to move the (humid) air out of the device. And all of this is just a guess, because I can cook...

...but no one would ever call me a chef ;) .

Get a marker and make a new mark for 104.

Thank you, you brilliant companion. If you were standing beside you I'd have squealed and wrapped myself around you. :kisstwo:

It might also be worth checking to see how narrow the... whatchamacallit, the response is on it. In other words... You set it for 104°F / 40°C, it heats up, the heater kicks off, the temperature starts to fall, it falls a bit more, then the heater kicks back on and it's rinse/lather/repeat at that point. How much of a temperature drop does the device allow to occur before it reheats?

I don't know how important it is to maintain a stable temperature. Obviously, you wouldn't want it to drop too far, but a little bit of a cycle probably isn't significant. OtOH, a large one might be - and, as you continue to experiment and refine your technique, the ability to control such variables does become more important. Also, a dehydrator isn't intended to be used as a cooking device, lol - so it might actually be designed to implement a (relatively) large temperature cycle for all I know. Although probably not, if it has some sort of fan inside to move the (humid) air out of the device. And all of this is just a guess, because I can cook...

...but no one would ever call me a chef ;) .

It's floating between 104.2 and 103.9, and it's been consistently in that range for over 30 minutes TS.

Let the cob sit in the dehydrator for 24 hours. Just checked it and I think it was too dry. I added some more moisture and going to seal it up and let it keep going. Smell was pretty much unchanged from the before the sweat: weed and citrus.

Maybe some more moisture and more heat will get the micro-herd working.

I hope this works for you BigBear. If not, you should still have righteously potentiated buds after curing like this. Remember, with drier buds you ferment longer and at higher temps.

Thanks friend.

The buds were about a day and a half from when I would normally jar them. They were quite moist and gummy and easily squished into the cobs. The cobs seem quite damp and swishy.

I hope it's still good. I feel like good things are happening in there.

When's the best moisture level to start cobbing? Let's say I normally dry for five days till the buds are dry enough to jar. What day would be the best day to use those buds to start cobbing instead ?

:passitleft:
That shot of the sweat looks good enough you will be alright I am sure. The shots of the cobs looked good to nice start to the color change. You should get a bit of a thrill inspecting them weekly over the next month.
When you open the bag and just cant take the smell anymore then its done ha ha.
Golden Tiger cures well this way its like ecstacy effect to me something I need regularly its like a pic me up.
Except that it re boots your mind as well.
It sounds like your environment dries the buds quite quickly mine is similar. I would be happy to take them anywhere from 1 day to 3 days but not longer.
To get a cure happening on dryer buds is a lot harder and takes a lot longer maybe 3 times longer.
Yours should be very good after aging but if you try some wetter buds next time the speed will impress you it all happens so much faster.

:passitleft: Thanks

I went two days hanging for the Malawi cobs and I think they were the perfect moisture content.

The Jamaican was drying low and slo since the 18th. The buds were a perfect 80% once I let them get to room temp. I took out an ounce for a cob and a half ounce for a canary, with the daughter’s blessing. We have two more in flower, so she can afford to let me have this bit. :battingeyelashes:

Cant wait to what you do with these I like fat buds like those, they always make for a good powerful effect.
Watching all you guys make cobs is really fun for me its great to see such love for the end product.
I am getting wiped out on aged Panama cob today I didn't show her enough respect and she has well and truly wiped the floor with my but and its still going up after 4 hours!

Cant wait to what you do with these I like fat buds like those, they always make for a good powerful effect.
Watching all you guys make cobs is really fun for me its great to see such love for the end product.
I am getting wiped out on aged Panama cob today I didn't show her enough respect and she has well and truly wiped the floor with my but and its still going up after 4 hours!

I'm sure the rest of the crew will agree that it's great fun to have you helping us out over here. :hug: Just listening to you crow about the cob of the day gets everyone all excited again. Lol!

Sweet Scrogdawg! :high-five:

LMAO. That reminds me of the "whipping line" we had on our furnace's thermostat when I was growing up. It was set at 62°F, I think, which would have been fine had Mom not pulled the cover off and bent the needle in hopes of fooling us before she got fed up with adjusting the thing and drawn the line.

Unfortunately, that thermostat was in the living room at the front of the house, approximately (BtW, why does that word have two Ps in it? The R satisfies the "two consonants after a vowel" rule. Anyway...) five feet from our underpowered floor furnace - and us kids' bedrooms were at the other end of the house, past the kitchen and through what used to be the back door, and separated from the rest of the house by the former (insulated) back exterior wall. Suffice it to say, there was a reason that my brother and I learned to think of that line as the whipping line, lol.

I hated that floor furnace. As a little kid, my legs were too short to straddle it, so - on the rare moments when I encountered it actually in operation - I'd just stand on it. Used to melt grid patterns into the bottoms of my shoes (and then I'd get b!tched at for the stinking rubber left behind on the furnace grate - go figure :rolleyes: ) . On the other hand, it turns 43 years old next month, and is still working - so I guess Mom and Pop got their money's worth on that purchase.

Wait, what was I...? Hmm... Oh, right:

It's floating between 104.2 and 103.9, and it's been consistently in that range for over 30 minutes TS.

Wow, Sue, if you are only able to observe a .3°F temperature variance, that seems like a pretty decent piece of kit. Nice.

My cue song just started. Time for this young lady to tuck herself in.

Goodnight all. :hug::hug::hug: :love:

My cue song just started. Time for this young lady to tuck herself in.[/b]

Mine is Nazareth's version of The Ballad of Hollis Brown:
What Are You Listening To?

The louder, the better. (Fair warning, this is the song that got me a big pile of grief as a teenager when I played it "a little loudly" in the wee hours of the night, waking my father - and, I suspect, some of the neighbor kids' fathers - when he had to get up early so he could drive two hours and put in a full day's work. And even more grief when, about 4:50am, he was walking through the basement under my bedroom on his way out the back door to his truck... he discovered that my music had shaken loose and broken several of those rigid drywall-like ceiling tiles that were attached to the main floor's floor joists. Keep at a modest volume if you have sleepers in the house.)

Goodnight all. :hug::hug::hug::love:

And may you have sweet dreams to match your disposition.[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom