Tangwena's Malawi-Style Cob Cure: Fermented Cannabis

Alright, I'm back at it.

Starting point: Nugs have hanged out to dry for 4-5 days. They were dry to the touch, but the stems were still a bit bendy. They had some moisture within them and I wanted to pull that to the surface, so after a bit of trimming I put the nugs into a loose vacuum bag. Left them there for a day or two, till I had managed to sift enough kief from my trimmings to coat one of the cobs. And just as I had hoped, the nugs were a bit damp to the touch, but not too moist, perfect for rolling cobs in my opinion.

Rolled them cobs in parchment paper, pressed them against the floor using my own weight, after they looked tight enough I vac sealed them and got to work. Sweated them in a pot (kettle?) for 16 consecutive hours, slept for the night, got up and re-heated the water in the kettle, did another 16 hours or so. Didn't measure temps, I tried to aim to that sweet 40-50 degrees celsius. Went totally by feel. The water was hot enough to become uncomfortable to the touch after a few seconds. That was the temp I tried to maintain. After the water cooled down, I dumped some out and loaded some fresh steaming hot water from my electric kettle (water boiler?), constantly mixing and trying to find that sweet spot. After reloading the water you can just leave it there for a couple of hours.

Fast forward, 19 days. Here we are, the cobs are pretty much done fermenting in my opinion.
Gonna let em dry out slowly. Might re-vac them at some point after taking some samples. :p

Hybrid X (Northern Lights x Northern Lights)
IMG_20200824_144045.jpg

Gorilla Zkittlez (Gorilla Glue #4 x Zkittlez)
IMG_20200824_144717~2.jpg

Random bagseed. Some diesel'ish sativa leaning hybrid. Crazy terps.
IMG_20200824_145012~2.jpg

And, the best one yet..

Let me introduce you to the one and only.. *drum roll*

THE DELUXE COB

Packed with power, bursting with flavor, can literally act as a weapon.
IMG_20200824_153748.jpg

This sucker weighs about 80 grams, it's absolutely rock hard, has all of the best nugs from each of the plants I grew, has been coated with the best dry-sift kief I could manage to pull without getting plant matter in the mix. This thing makes you flinch if you take a sniff, the terps are ridiculous.
Beautiful work brother great colors and terps to go with it you seem to have aced it big time onwards and upwards from here I'd say.

I cut a small nug from my BG41 in late flowering and prepared my first cob for testing. So far so good but I am manually vacuuming the ziplocks as I told earlier here. The surface is around 64 degrees Celsius and the cob is around 42-43 degrees from the top so I am guessing it might be sweating anywhere between 45-55 degrees. I am switching sides every couple of hours. 24h is done now but I will wait the additional 24 hours to test this properly. I'll open the ziplock to dry everything with paper towels and revac tomorrow. I got more corn husks and I'll fill each one with BG41 nugs on harvest day. I'll share how the process goes as the fermentation proceeds.

Cheers :passitleft:

I enjoy cobs for their versatility and utility! My favorite ,so far, has been one I made with Cosmic Glue. The mellow sense of well being and comfort from chewing a plug is very nice, then smoke a bit and really zoom into happy harmony with the world! I love the ability to enjoy my crop a year later, with little if any, reduction in my enjoyment of the harvest!:D I have a cannabis bank now, with a nice variety of cobs from several strains to choose from, all still in a good state of preservation, even though some are nearly two years old! However, I have not been able to keep my favorites that long! I just want to thank Sweet Sue and Tangwena ,again, for the inspiration to get out my sushi mat and put something more than rice in a roll! There is ,to me, no better way to put aside an ounce or two for a rainy day!:yummy:

I guess cobs work in the same manner as how brickweed is somehow " cured" ?
Hello Rocco72! :smokin:My experience back in the old days with "brick weed" was that it was compressed into bricks with little or no regard towards quality of the cure! But , rather was just a matter of getting the harvest to customers in a compact package. The fact that it often contained mold or had fermented was an accident caused by improper curing and/or storage, most likely! I did note in the day, that some of the weed fermented and not spoiled by mold was much better than the same weed from other bricks not fermented at all or ,of course, if they had molded! :( I got ripped off on a couple of kilos that were molded inside and gave myself pneumonia trying to smoke some of that Mexican crap! The same stuff not molded was good! The bricks that seemed to be more brown in color, looked fermented and not moldy were great!:) I think due to accidental fermentation! This became something I always checked for as the early kilo sized bricks gave way to small bales made in garbage compacters that were even more prone to having spoiled weed inside them! The cost of those larger bales (@ about $40 a pound and up to about 17-20 pounds) made it a very big loss if any of them contained mostly moldy weed inside. I heard of people getting murdered over this "brick weed" being passed on full of mold spores!:peace:

I just chopped down a plant 3 days ago and took all the sugar leaf trim and rolled it up as the instructions for a cob and sealed the 0ne ounce of trim and popped it into a dry slow cooker. I didn't want to read 200+ posted to see if anyone tried this with sugar leave/trim. I thought this would be interesting to see what you get.
Anyone with experience doing sugar leaves as cobs?.....I have some more plants that I will chop in the next week and may try it with some small buds...... thanks

I just chopped down a plant 3 days ago and took all the sugar leaf trim and rolled it up as the instructions for a cob and sealed the 0ne ounce of trim and popped it into a dry slow cooker. I didn't want to read 200+ posted to see if anyone tried this with sugar leave/trim. I thought this would be interesting to see what you get.
Anyone with experience doing sugar leaves as cobs?.....I have some more plants that I will chop in the next week and may try it with some small buds...... thanks
My crock pot when I checked was at 130 F on low so I took off the lid and now is hovering at 110 F and will take it out tomorrow and check them out.....

[HalQUOTE="Tennessee Tim, post: 5104627, member: 242089"]
Hello Rocco72! :smokin:My experience back in the old days with "brick weed" was that it was compressed into bricks with little or no regard towards quality of the cure! But , rather was just a matter of getting the harvest to customers in a compact package. The fact that it often contained mold or had fermented was an accident caused by improper curing and/or storage, most likely! I did note in the day, that some of the weed fermented and not spoiled by mold was much better than the same weed from other bricks not fermented at all or ,of course, if they had molded! :( I got ripped off on a couple of kilos that were molded inside and gave myself pneumonia trying to smoke some of that Mexican crap! The same stuff not molded was good! The bricks that seemed to be more brown in color, looked fermented and not moldy were great!:) I think due to accidental fermentation! This became something I always checked for as the early kilo sized bricks gave way to small bales made in garbage compacters that were even more prone to having spoiled weed inside them! The cost of those larger bales (@ about $40 a pound and up to about 17-20 pounds) made it a very big loss if any of them contained mostly moldy weed inside. I heard of people getting murdered over this "brick weed" being passed on full of mold spores!:peace:
[/QUOTE]
Over here in SE Asia, I've seen 2 forms of brickweed. Brown ( indonesian) and green ( thai). Both very different in terms of taste and effect. Brown smells like cat piss and the green ones somehow has a very manggo - ish scent. I still do buy brickweed , just for old times sake or when I run out of my homegrown stash. A bit of nostalgia there. Lol.

Does the mango have a lot of seeds in it, like maybe hermaphrodism is the rule instead of the exception?

I’ve read this topic with great interest, but as a smoker and vaper, how do jar cured buds and these fermented cobs compare?

Some of the nicest bud ive had was from a dealer friend. He called it flat pressed, supposedly Swiz import????!!!!!! Anyways, the buds were chocolate brown, some of them were smooth on one side like hash. It smelled like hash and tasted like hash. I loved it and it was cheap because of the appearance!

I've been reading up on cobbing and jumping on the cob train. More detailed description in my journal.

Harvested last week and cobbed up 30g of Blueberry x Cinderella 99 and a CBD Hash Plant (I thought it was a Green Crack). They sweated for 10 hours at 40C, 2 hour dry, then in to ferment at 30C. Here's pics of the roll, though I didn't get pics after the initial sweat. Will take some after the week ferment.

DSCN2471 (BBxC cob).JPGDSCN2477 (CBD cob).JPG

Just harvest 2x Blueberry's and a Green Crack (which I wanted to cob) yesterday. I was thinking I might run the BBxC99 and CBD to ferment for 5 days, and if the BB and GC aren't too dry I could cob those up too. I want the CBD for meds, which would apparently be better with a longer ferment, but I want the GC cobbed for active inducing effects. I can't do the 40C sweat on new cobs without breaking the 30C ferment of the other 2. So I might only do them for 5 days so I can cob the GC and maybe BB. I could get 4 cobs of 4 different varieties if I don't muck it up. I mucked up my previous cob attempts, so hopefully this run will be better.

I've been reading up on cobbing and jumping on the cob train. More detailed description in my journal.

Harvested last week and cobbed up 30g of Blueberry x Cinderella 99 and a CBD Hash Plant (I thought it was a Green Crack). They sweated for 10 hours at 40C, 2 hour dry, then in to ferment at 30C. Here's pics of the roll, though I didn't get pics after the initial sweat. Will take some after the week ferment.

DSCN2471 (BBxC cob).JPGDSCN2477 (CBD cob).JPG

Just harvest 2x Blueberry's and a Green Crack (which I wanted to cob) yesterday. I was thinking I might run the BBxC99 and CBD to ferment for 5 days, and if the BB and GC aren't too dry I could cob those up too. I want the CBD for meds, which would apparently be better with a longer ferment, but I want the GC cobbed for active inducing effects. I can't do the 40C sweat on new cobs without breaking the 30C ferment of the other 2. So I might only do them for 5 days so I can cob the GC and maybe BB. I could get 4 cobs of 4 different varieties if I don't muck it up. I mucked up my previous cob attempts, so hopefully this run will be better.
I may be able to solve your problem dont sweat the new cobs just include them in the 30c with the others it will take longer to cure but you will get a more terpy colorful product at the end of it.
Even better up the 30c to 36c still great for storage and it will help the new lot cure faster.
Still open and touch dry weekly as normal you should get some amazing stinking cobs after a month or two.

I may be able to solve your problem dont sweat the new cobs just include them in the 30c with the others it will take longer to cure but you will get a more terpy colorful product at the end of it.
Even better up the 30c to 36c still great for storage and it will help the new lot cure faster.
Still open and touch dry weekly as normal you should get some amazing stinking cobs after a month or two.

Thanks for that info. I trimmed and jarred up the buds today, and they were all a little dry. Hopefully I can get a little moisture back with jarring for several hours. Though I'm sure some of yours or other posts said it was still fine to use sorta dry weed so hopefully it should be fine.

I want cob effects more to get stuff done, not put me into a deep weed sleep. So that would be shorter ferment times yeah? It's now at 5 days, is that too short? If I kept them at 30C and added new cobs, roughly how long should the new ones go at 30C without a sweat, or how long if I upped to 36C?

After the ferment, how do you store them? Could I put some into a jar with a boveda 62% for easy access and regular nibbles? Or do you have to vac seal and store somewhere cool, dark, or room temperature and no-touchies for 3-6 months?

Hi buddy. What about an even cooler fermentation? Like beer (ale) yeast brews effectively at 18c, some a bit cooler, like a long slow ferment at room temperature from the moment they were vacuumed?

Hi buddy. What about an even cooler fermentation? Like beer (ale) yeast brews effectively at 18c, some a bit cooler, like a long slow ferment at room temperature from the moment they were vacuumed?
You could give it a go I used to do it that way for many years the changes are a lot less pronounced and way longer to to change.
I gave it away once I turned onto the fermentation technique.
For years i searched for a way to get the sweet fermented smell i used to get from the best cobs in Africa.
It was only when a member on another forum suggested using the yogurt maker to control the sweat of the cobs that I got consistent results. The whole time the missing piece of the puzzle was the warm temps needed to get the buds to sweat.
Tobacco is cured a similar way warm humid conditions.
If I had a lab I could nail exact temps and humidity but I dont so I go by touch, feel and smell. I can recall the smell and look of the best cobs I used to get in Malawi and of course the effects some friends and I are reproducing 2 or 3 of the African cures but still have work to do on many others.
There is more than one cure outcome and more than one method to get them its just a matter of choosing which you like personally and working with it.
My last Mulanje grow I am happy with the terps, look and high so that one is locked in for that strain.

Thanks for that info. I trimmed and jarred up the buds today, and they were all a little dry. Hopefully I can get a little moisture back with jarring for several hours. Though I'm sure some of yours or other posts said it was still fine to use sorta dry weed so hopefully it should be fine.

I want cob effects more to get stuff done, not put me into a deep weed sleep. So that would be shorter ferment times yeah? It's now at 5 days, is that too short? If I kept them at 30C and added new cobs, roughly how long should the new ones go at 30C without a sweat, or how long if I upped to 36C?

After the ferment, how do you store them? Could I put some into a jar with a boveda 62% for easy access and regular nibbles? Or do you have to vac seal and store somewhere cool, dark, or room temperature and no-touchies for 3-6 months?
Hi my friend please post pics so I can see the changes so far.
The effects will depend on the strain used of course, if its sleepy nothing will change that.
But if the plant has some get up and go then short sweats 12hrs or less work well. Just get some perspiration happening inside the bag once you see that your on the money.
Keep the cobs in warm conditions while they cure 30 to 36c I find good. The warmer the faster the changes so keep an eye on the color.
Just watch the color change once it starts open the bag and sniff if its sweet then touch dry and reseal. Repeat every 5 days or so until the smell is sweetest you will only know this from experience as every strain is different aroma wise.
After 3 to 4 weeks you should have reached the max then dry them to a smokeable consitency and seal up to age.
If dried fully they can be kept anywhere without mold. I just keep my daily cobs in a zip lock bag in a drawer or in a jar just make sure they are dried.
Keeping the aged cobs vac sealed will preserve them for years for storage 20 to 30c is fine cooler is ok once the curing is done.

Back
Top Bottom