The 4x4 Grow Tent Club

Hello folks,

I have decided to exercise my legal right as a resident of the great state of Oregon and a MMJ patient and to begin the process of purchasing a 4x4 tent and setting it up tomorrow. I will initially begin the growing process indoors, as I am not moving into the house officially until June 1st, at which time I will move the tent into a shed - that was clearly once used for growing some bud back in the day - after I finish the process of removing some shelves, sanitizing the space, and placing insulation therein.
I live in Portland and the temperatures are very mild, so I think a portable air conditioner/dehumidifier in the shed, as well as the fans and cooling within the tent itself, should provide sufficient cooling and prevent overheating. In the winter I plan to put a small safe heater if necessary.
The current roof in the shed is a sun roof, so I am a little worried about excess light leaking in - So i wanted to know of some advice as to any possibilities for preventing that. Though it might be a Null concern due to the fact that it does rain here quite a bit and there is a tree over the roof partially.
I plan to grow 4 plants in soil for my first grow, despite my desire to jump in head first I will likely purchase either 4 clones of sour diesel, gorilla glue #4, or Bubble Gum - as I am very picky about what I smoke after living in PDX and want to have what I like all the time.

I would love some input as to the plausibility of maintaining a suitable grow environment in the shed - after insulating it and cooling it. I would also love some advice as to which one of those 3 stones you would recommend. I intend to only grow 4 plants during the first grow, so I am going to veg those suckers to the max and fatten them puppies up big time before letting them get nice and tall-like.
Any and all input is appreciated, as I am certainly green in this process - pun intended.

PdxDUDE89

Ventilation is very important, make sure you have a way to exhaust to the outside so you're not just recirculating air.

I got some seedlings going, so far I have 4 Blackberry Kush, 1 GSC and 1 Frankenberry. Decided to make my first journal follow this grow.

IMG_20160507_002438.jpg

My Frankenberry is a mutant!

IMG_20160507_002404.jpg

1st grow here and wanted to keep the number of plants down but may consider getting a smaller space/tent for vegging and turn my 4x4 Gorilla into the flower room....? It's almost 8 feet tall with a 1 foot extension. Currently there is no carbon filter but will add that when needed. I run 600 watt MH and can change it to HPS for flower. 160 cfm inline seems to do the trick for now and one window fan, really is 2 and adding a 6" clip fan. It's in my garage so I added 1" rigid insulation under it plus a heater that goes under a space rug because it got down to 45 the first night but they bounced back. See my journal for more info and pics.

Rock on!

Since the 1st pic, I took the duct off the light so air comes in the bottom, fills the tent, through the light and out the top.

image36888.jpg

image36889.jpg

FIMed 3 days ago.
image36930.jpg

Welcome to 420 and Welcome to the 4x4 club brother!
You will find they are a great size tent, unless your as big as me, then it gets tight moving around lol.

hurricane fans are AWESOME! on my 1k Watt with the xtrasun reflector the temp holds steady at 79Deg, last nite I somehow had it set to 600W and this morning the temp was holding solid at 70.
What I do is I have the hurricane bloing the light and I hav ea 2 fan small window fan on the outside bottom of my tent blowing air into the little square vent to keep it from sucking in soo hard.
the mother has been on Flower mode for two days now and I can now fully see how its very nerve wracking like yall are always saying, I just wanna keep peeping in there and see how shes doing.
as soon as shes done I am getting some Blueberry Kush, I was told that its perfect for helping me to sleep at nite with my back pain.

Yeah, I just tossed it. This is my first grow so it got a proper burial lol. 2 long months in veg just to toss it. Shitty deal

Hey Twox, no probs with the blower inside the tent? heat wise that is.
I was gonna put mine inside but was afraid the bar couldn't hold it so its on the outside.
Forgot to plug my fan timer back in today because I was moving the fan around and when I came home tonite the temp was 104 inside, so got the curtain open and all kinds of fans running now, luckily it was only a hour.
Is that a Active Air Fan? was gonna get that but ended up getting a Hurricane.
Nice Setup bro.

Thanx Blazing..

Good eye.. It's a Active air 6 inch. No heat issues with it at all.. it doesn't really get hot, maybe a little warmth. No more than a oscillating fan. I have my fan and filter connected to 2 bars across the top.. They seem to be holding just fine.

How's the hurricane?... I was looking at those when I was fan hunting.

The high Temps happen some times.. at least it was only a hour. My cat unplugged my man one night (with lights on). I woke up to silence and freaked. Over a hour at 100 degrees. Plants seemed fine the next day.

I've thought about this before and came to the conclusion that anything crawling through this stuff would then track it in to your tent if that's were this bug was destined. My other thought was that anything crawling into my tent wasn't really a threat. White flies and nats are airborne, thrips can jump and spider mites are more likely to float in on a breeze or fall off your clothes. That just my thoughts. Neem oil and no pest strips is probably the better option.

I asked the same question but about Bayer. They have a new line that's supposed to be organic. Let me help clear this up. ANY of these things protect against weeds. You're growing a weed. The answer is no.

Pests can be easily controlled with Azamax (fully organic and made of plant parts) and sticky traps on the tent wall. Trust me. It works.

General Hydroponics Azamax 4oz GH245 : HydroGalaxy.com

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using 420

So far the hurricane is kicking azz, it keeps my 1k at around 79deg, and if I lower the bulb to 600w it holds at 70deg
I have it on the outside of the tent.
and I had the exact same situation like you said, I walked in the house and didn't hear the fan.

Has anyone ever used a bug barrier like Ortho Home Defense in their tent to ward off pests? How did it work if so

Using a Hotshot pest strip from wallyworld and its done a great job, when I was in the closet it killed anything and everything, I found a couple dead water bugs that got into my house and it worked great.
From what I have read about it, it gives off a vapor that kills ground bugs also, and is EXCELLENT FOR SPIDER MITES!

Welp. I took the plunge and bought a cloner. So the tent will now be for flowering only. It's pretty cool.
281ac0643e54393e760b4454057c1e2e.jpg
997e0451014ff789b8d5991f05271bd3.jpg

Hey guys and gals! Question for you as I am thinking of upgrading my tent size in a few months after my second grow. I currently have a 2x3 tent with Marshydro 300w LED and Apollo Horticulture 600w HPS mounted. I Veg 24hrs of light. And only run the HPS 30-40% of the day during veg and LED the other part. Flowering gets a bit complicated as I'm going to use both alternating. Now that's for my current setup.

On a chart of fair(almost)-good(spot on)-excellent(more than enough/perfect) are these two lights sufficient to run in a 4x4 tent? Or would a 3x3 be more suitable?

Also on the tube at NoobGrow

My tent is 5 ft across, 3 feet deep, and 5 ft tall. Im using 2 300 watt led lights from KING.

With LED it's complicated. LED is measured by PAR. Other lights are measured by lumens. Combining the two is a stricky prospect.

The complicated answer is, get yourself a par meter and test your lights. Maybe marshydro has this information available on their website but the manufacturing process isnt perfect and ymmv. Then use this light calculator to find the recommended amount of light.

Cannavertisy Grow Room Calculators - Lighting and Ventilation

Subtract the values of lights you have from the light recommended and make adjustments.

Shorter answer, estimate. Go off the mfg numbers either on their website or included with the light when you bought it.

I was lucky. Work was done for me. But this video has the BEST info I've found so far on LED lights.

Growing Cannabis With LEDs - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom