The ABC Of This New Grow

Re: the a.b.c. of this new grow.

they looking good. a male leaf and the system pics 12.23.12
IMG_070617.JPG
IMG_070017.JPG
IMG_070714.JPG

you can see the 2 big males one is aurora and 1 is papaya. the 4 on the left are master hush and no males.
one really short female papaya and one really short aurora female.:) (breaders dream)
i like short. and they really packed with nodes. hope they the stony ones.[shorter seed bank strains useally are]
was hopeing for more males to pick stony ones but both indys are really stony strains and this is a seed grow for f1 cross of both strains for next years outdoor grow.
the master kush i havent yet decided if i should seed them. most likely not as i got 2 very small compact females of the a and the p. [ hit the jack pot] ..
so if the males get stinky ass and the 2 shorts get stony ass i will have hit the "power bud jack pot" for a seed grow f1 cross if thats what happens ill be crossing theese for a few cycles.
but one STRAIN I AM LOOKING FOR 'HIPPIE KILLER' a friend did some lab testing on it. 29%thc with a heavy couch loc. and that was off the shelf. seen a pic . i know i can do better then the dispensory grower did. so any one grow hippie killer yet. need more info.

12.25.12 moved lighting. moved plants around. moved the 2 big males to east side of system to keep a better eye on them... and whoa wow weeeeee , the place was smelling of the kind killer stuff. had fun. and both males really strong smelling. took some of the empty's out and shut off the drips for them.

update.
oh shit oh shit.
the water company ph has changed dramatically.[we have had lots of rains.]
went from 7.1 to 6.5 damm damm damm.
was seeing some changes in the plants the past few days and was looking like some nute loc type of condition.
checked my ph and wow way too low. so i checked the water i was useing[i store water from tap] and it was lower then the last readings 2 weeks ago. i check about 1 to 4 weeks the tap water ph. just to be sure. i had to add an average amount of ph down to the water. this time almost got away from me. had to add alltle ph up and now useing untreated water to slowing bring it back up. now at 6.0 damm it had gotten really low. will adjust it up to 6.5 useing mostly tap water untreated. dont like flushing if i dont have to. the plants look really good just some loc out. not alot. so next system flush is not due till the 5th of jan. they will be fine till then just small addjustments till then. will be checking tap water ph every week as i refill the containers . this has only happened here in cali back when el nino was here in the mid 90's it normally is between 6.8 and 7.2 almost always 7.0. and tds is always close. going to test tds as well.
bleepn frickin water company. wish i was on dwp water. they maintain a strick ph and tds.
plants are growing really good no pics needed. will put pic updates latter this weekend.

12.26.12 ph problem with tap. noticed signs of minute nute lockout on some leafs of some plants checked ph and shit shit shit. way too low. checked tap as I store tap from before. and Walla tap at 6.5 . damm water company. I check tap ph every 1 to 4 weeks just in case and wasn't going to check for another week but the plants told me they had an issue. so adjustments were made. with all the rain we been getting didn't expect lower than 6.8 so I add for 7.0 water which is the average here. and oooops . well be checking tap ph for the rest of this grow before adding ph down. haven't had this problem here since 1996 . never been below 6.8 or above 7.2. almost always 7.0. in early growth I measure ph down for 7.0 water to get just below 6.0 or at 6.0 [note 5.5 for seedlings/cubes] and raise during the early stage to 6.0. at 6.0 now and will bring up to 6.5 slowly. have to use ph up[damm]. I'll keep adjusting till next flush[reservoir change] so far the grow is right on time.
males exploded
maybe 2 or 3 more males ?
all 4 master Kush
side view
after cropping males to almost same height.

12.27.12 wow the males exploded [1 definitely a hermie has both male and female pre sex flowers showing, on the papaya male/female]first time getting a hermie with papaya . just raised the lights less then 36hrs ago. had to top them. and do some trimming. want them in the system till the females reach where the scrog cage goes. may have 2 to 4 more males in the group but only a growth sign and not a sex sign. took off some leaf tips for the 2 small runt females from the surrounding taller plants just enough to get light to them not whole leaf. all plants really going good even with the ph problem. Will not be using any ph adjusters anytime soon just tap and ferts and check each batch. doing full reservoir change on the 6th/jan2013.thats on schedule.
note; cropping males can cause an explosion of male flowers. always watch out. not a problem in early veg females as male pollen doesn't live long. and if ya know how to kill/control it.

IMG_071522.JPG
IMG_071620.JPG
IMG_071720.JPG

that one is the papaya hermie. most hermies show female first or combo. very rare to show male first in so many nodes before the female flower shows. this one on the same node left and right side. had a male and a female preflower apperance. then the same on the next node. mutants hmmm. hermies have a higher ratio of mutants in there seed unless used to feminize a female plant for seed... less mutants. but mutants are really fun.
if it goes all male ill cross with it. i have seen an ocasional female flower here and there on males. when fully grown. i have done papaya outdoors alot. this is first time indoors. never seen a papaya hermie till now. have to watch this one.but it stinks real good. will be hard to decide to keep it.

12.29.12 cool day today, got the second side light in .
canopy thick so thinned a few leaf [I hate trimming unless I have to]. need 25 bud sites. wanted 25 plants that's was what system was designed for got 19 [all reg seed] looks like 5 more males. collective was doing clones and was a timing issue but they went fishing and they died[maybe I shouldn't grow their stuff so stony.] so no clones of those plants. too late for the system so going to find all my females and separate all my males in the next 10 days then train the remainders to get 25 bud sites. real close to putting scrog screen back on[modular ] only a few days. And they will reach the p.o.n.r.[point of no return] that's when I start the flower phase . hey! they exactly 1 month old [31days] from dry seed to today. system outperforming test system 'yea'. I tested lighting ,recirc ,ferts ect. in micro lab worked real good there. now at a larger scale I expected a slight increase in performance but wow! much larger performance then expected.
IMG_072018.JPG

and with the new side light. should be real interesting now. they got so thick. amazing. this grow will be amazing.

1.1.13 put the modular scrog on system. also started 12/12 only, stretch will take them thru. won't put red lighting in till 2 or 3 weeks and ferts change will be gradual.

Hey gairbud, I'd like to hear your opinion on something. My current grow is my second, and I got too excited after my first and went a little big. Not big compared to others, just too big for a guy growing for himself alone. It's occupying some space, and producing more herb than I need. Long story short, I'm downsizing. I want a small organized area that will keep me smoking that's all. I have a 1x1 GL40 tent that is perfect for a mother. You can toss this tent anywhere, very practical size for a single plant. Anyway, the plan is to have a 2x2 flowering tent to flower clones. Single colas flipped directly to flower to avoid side branches. A mini sea of green producing a very humble but steady and perpetual harvest. I hope this gave you a good picture of what I'm trying to do because here comes the question.
In your opinion, what is the best medium to go with? Hempies stacked side by side? Drip system similar to yours side by side? or a DWC with a decent resevoir and 3" netpots relatively close to each other? Your opinion on my plan would be appreciated too. As I said, I'm looking for a steady humble harvest. By humble I'm referring to weight, not quality :) of course...
Happy New Year brotha!

pretty much what you said is a good setup and the plan will work.
as for the medium it is entirely up to you. i like easy. what is easy for you should be what ya do. tastse is what i am after so mine is a soil/hydro[called pyrotechnics] in a drip system to a resivoir recirc pump. if you want fast then do a 50/50 clay pepbles with coco coir and use all organics for it. my system is very verstile and will produce alot depending on what i am doing. doing a clone sea of green right to flower gives ya fast single pretty buds and very big and good for small operations. useing the organics will give ya taste. high depends on strain and knowing your plant/the plant. everything i have seen you ask and do is all great. you wont need to think about perpetual harvest as just keeping the mother going and cloneing will achive what your after. what you need to know is your consumption and your buddys who you share with. haveing an extra oz or 3 around keeps friends happy and makes nice presents throughout the year. learn to dry real good and store. i dry it to 15% for freezer storage. and break it down to 30grams per bag/jar. i have helped set up lots of growers with perpetual buds to smoke. perpetual grow is different. haveing a 2 or 3 tent/space system is good. can be done in 2. make yourself a areator bucket for clones.[fast and easy.] clone in the grow space between crops. transplant when ya have some roots. to the medium. 1 gallon pots i like.my roots go into the drip pan . 3# system is fine and can be set up as an areator /clone system all in one. my system is set up so i can get all around it. i like all the angles. seems to me your on a 90 to 100 day program . flowering takes the longest when flipping from clone to flower. i would let them go for 1 week before flipping. your buds will look alitle funny as they strech and fill out. i have done that alot. almost 80% of the time. is clone em go 1 or 3 weeks then flower them and finish. right now the abc grow was 32days from dry seed to 12/12 lights. at 14 to 17 inch plants. i always like a good root structure before flowering. at 10 to 16 inches when they explode in veg[the start] they have enough roots to produce big bud. and because i sog/scrog and tie up the weight. they get big. really big. not really after super masive buds.[decreeses the leangth of the high]when alot of tricomes turn dark. i do what old schoolers call "early girl" grow. some one used that as a name for their strain[lmao] it is a technique. to max tricomes early at about 1/2 way thru brac explosion. gives ya more tricomes per area of milky yellow ripe mushroom heads. it is a delicate process and most growers dont do that. it gives a very exotic taste and high with the airbud cure method. everyone gets a buzz just sniffing the bag/jar.[right to your head. when i say i didnt smoke didnt mean i dont get high.lmfao. and i dont consume either. when i harvest and trim as i go to manicure my stuff kicks ass just smelling it. i have tuned in to my smeller the whole process. and my site. i always grow better then whoever i meet with their own stuff. time and time again. even the people that first taught me.[i am a mj wisperer]no dout . but here i have to prove thru pics and advice ect. and thoose who know me directly wont blow my cover. i have won bud awards and didnt enter it my self. i wont go there. to much heat for that. i am a personal grower[like a personal trainer] i will grow to a clients needs. and do. so have fun and tell me what ya think. sometimes i can get a bit bragging but i earned it long ago and claim it as i wish and still remain humble. gairbud is my ole nickname from the 80's and 90's and airbud is a technigue not a strain as many have beleaved in the past. an old friend called me on new years and asked if gairbud on 420 was me. lol . i said yes and keep it to yourself. we laughed like crazy and he told me so you finally decided to teach some . we laughed again and again. i hadnt herd from him in 20years. he is comming to cali this summer just to look me up and get some airbud. lmfao. ole times we will have.:) i would love to here from ya on all this new process your starting. so keep me in the loop ismokes your a good buddy to me. one day we will meet and ill bring some to ya.

Hey gairbud!
Good to see you got a journal up!
Thanks for directing me here!
looks great so far, bummer about the city water PH.
A good lesson for us to realize how useful PH and PPM meters really are in our kits.

Interested to see your grows progress!
:thumb:

Just curious why you didn't start a journal in the grow journal section?
A lot more people will pick up on it in there i think.
If you message any moderator, and I'm sure they could move it for you..

Thank you very much gairbud. I value your opinion that's why I specifically asked on your thread :blushsmile:
I'm thinking along the line of either a little 2x2 flood table or a DWC with 3" net pots. I will see which is more convenient for my setup and go with it :thumb: I will give the clones some veg time before flipping. I'll slowly learn my strains and will soon know exactly how long I need to veg to get that little SOG picture I have in mind ;). I saved your comment in which you described your harvest technique and curing earlier :) Hoping for some dank :grinjoint:

1.3.13 shot up, fast grower, papaya,[could be a male or early stretcher]. I wasn't present when we did papaya outdoors for culling all the males. and we didn't have many females with this kind of trait. this was very fast as I just did light change 2 days ago. when I see this it is almost always a male. if female this would be a perfect scroger for low # of plant system. fast paced lots of branch growth. Started slow then pop. took off at a month old. I am looking to get shorter compact plants to cross so this one will be smoke only if female, if male [so dead] the room currently stinks like killer bud. even with exhaust on. mk and aurora did that at 6 weeks last time . this grow doing it 1 week earlier[almost 10 days ].going to be killer shit. and this time the veg state is less.[jackpot]
IMG_072620.JPG

didnt know i could do that . thanks for the info. i dont use alot of internet sites and postings so that was a great tip. thanks. will do that.

1.4.13 the start of adding the red light for flowering. just 1/2 of the 4ft side fluorescents'.
the 2 main fluorescents' in about a week or 2.

exploded again. good stock from nirvana. lots of phenos showing here. male and female.
male node 'can see'.[my camera sucks.]
need more bud site so trimmed a small amount of fan leaf. nice female here.
I want the shorter ones for the seed grow. This one too tall. but she stinks :).
male aurora male papaya.
both males have really nice traits.:)
1]grow fast first 14days. 2]show sex early 10 days. 3]small tricomes on male leaf in first week of growth. 4]slow down in height after 1 month and fill out. 5]good overall structure, leaf, stem ,roots ect. 6] stink like crazy and fluid stinks more when leaf trimmed.
both the papaya and the aurora males have awesome traits. and similar but very different as you can see. Good breeders.[jack pot] :) I love nirvana.
aurora male papaya male both trimmed to 1 branch.
master Kush cleaning out the dead and dying lower leaf. from whole system. this is the lower section of the master Kush.
on Sunday full flush of system and reservoir and going to fert/nute slow change and ph change.

They look fantastic brother!
Are you planning to keep the males and pick your favorite for pollen?
I've been utilizing defoliation as well. It seems counter-intuitive to take off leaves, but it's really showing very positive results indoors. I only speak of things I already tried, not simply heard of or read about. In my very humble and limited experience, leaves will come back with a vengeance, almost as if the plant wanted the haircut. I have never tried defoliation during bloom, but I can sure say that during veg it's helping a lot! More sites are being exposed to light, my plants are producing a lot of potential clones, which is exactly what I'm after.
I will report this post in an effort to get some attention from a mod to move your journal to the right section :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom