The Deep Water Culture Home

Hello bubblefriends, I am seeking experience and opinions on something. I am considering a staggered harvest as 2 of my plants are seemingly going to finish before the other. They are in the same resevoir. I have never done this before, my concern is with the roots of the harvested plants. Will they start to decay and cause a myriad of problems with the remaining plant? I estimate the late one will finish 1-2 weeks after the other 2. Any thoughts?

It will be OK for two weeks, but leave some STUMP or TRUNK on the harvested plants.

Okay so i was looking into trying some different nutes on my next grow. Looking at advanced nutrients, they make impressive claims. Has anyone used there 3 part base nutes with the additives? The price throws me off a little bit. Why is voodoo juice so expensive? Is it necessary? Does it work? Just checking them out, the price tag on the 3 part base and 4 additives was over 400 dollars. Is it worth it?

I wouldn't get the additives, but those Advanced Nutes are great nutes!

Sorry to hear of your loss Bendog,
I have been hearing something about adding hydrogen peroxide to your res if you were going to have temp problems, it prevents root rot. I can not recall the ratio per gallon at the moment. Other than maybe add some chilled water to your res and pray for the best. It'll all work out. Again sorry for your loss.

3 tablespoons of 3% per gallon of water, as a preventative. Dilute and mix it first.

Well I checked my 2 new clones and the water had a little brown shit on some of the roots , well I ain't taken no chances with these ! So my tent is about ready so I put another res in there added new clean PHd water with just a touch of cal mag, and rinsed off the roots with hydr perox and put the 2 net cups into the tent the roots are in on one plant and almost in on the other so I figured I don't need the pump anymore so will see how these new guys handle that 400 HPS in the ne tent. The temps so far havn't gone above 79 , I have a doc. apoint. this afternoon so will see how they do when I return. I washed out everything from the other res with bleach and ran the pump with it too rinsed it all off and will order some femd seeds to start as well , I was going to use these clones as mothers but would rather just get them going so I can switch to flower as soon as they get about 12-14 " kinda want to rush them as I'm out of weed and will just do without for a while ! I think It'l do me some good !! Any recomendations on a good strain of femd seeds ? I saw some decent ones for 35 bucks for 5 from Nirvana ! ? :peace:

I also ran out of ANs grow nutes so will have to pick up some more of that ! I used Botanicare on one grow but didn't like the nasty lookin brown water from the organics...I love the sensi A&B from AN though ! this time as per Fry I'll use half of what they recommend !Fry seeded to have great luck with that !! :peace:

High MC!
I've heard some good and bad things about the AN sensi line. I personally have never tried it and more than likely never will. It's a matter of trust for me. I dont like it when companies keep things secret about what's in their products. I feel the same about Humboldt products but that's a whole other animal.
I've used LK off and on for awhile and really like it. It's basically a nice prevention against deficiencies down the road and it promotes nice microbial activity below the soil line.
I have no experience or opinions on Cannazyme. Never even looked at a bottle. If it's anything like Hygrozyme you will love it. Keeps plants roots in prime health.
I use Medinas Horticulture Molasses once every two weeks throughout the entire grow. The molasses feeds the microbes. When the microbial activity is good and healthy, so will your plants. The microbes are the key when growing in soil. Regardless of what the soil and water ph is, the microbes will break down nutes and make them available to the plant. That's why I prefer organics in the soil. It's way more gentle on the roots and the plants feed at a very aggressive rate.
I'm big on the FF soil line up. Alot of growers like to add a bunch of perlite to the mix but I dont. I currently use a blend of 1 bag Ocean Forest + 1 bag of Light Warrior + 1/2 bag of Happy Frog. I'm also trying a blend of 1 bag Happy Frog + 1 bag of OF and I really like that combo. Some folks may think that combo is not well draining enough but my plants seem to really like it. I think container selection may actually be the problem people have with the undilluted soil rather than the problem being with the soil drainage.

Thanks for the heads up. I mixed a 2-1 ratio of FFOF to additional perlite because I was told that aeration was the key in soil. The Cannazyme is just like the hygrozyme. I've used all three in hydro ( Canna, Sensi and hygrozyme).

Do you think that adding any of the beneficials like mycorrhizae are worth the trouble?

I tune my add water to mid 6's. Tap is 7.6 to 7.7 and that seems a little high. Molasses the whole grow you say. Makes sense if it feeds the beneficials. Ever feed any of the Botanicare Sweet? I got the free 8 oz bottle and was thinking about adding it late in flower but maybe molasses is a better way to go in soil and the Sweet would just be duplicating the effort which is usually a bad idea.

Hell I just ordered 5 Northern Light Femd seeds !! If I get any work this next few wks I'll go ahead and get a new LED from Builder they do sound great just a bit expensive , so maybe just one 144 wat (519 !!!) thats a lot of dough for 1 light but if it does what it says I'll be happy if not well I know I'll be crying all over these threads !! and if it kicks ass I'll be the first to talk them up !! :peace:

I also ran out of ANs grow nutes so will have to pick up some more of that ! I used Botanicare on one grow but didn't like the nasty lookin brown water from the organics...I love the sensi A&B from AN though ! this time as per Fry I'll use half of what they recommend !Fry seeded to have great luck with that !! :peace:

Do you notice if the AN Sensi balances your PH for you?

Hell I just ordered 5 Northern Light Femd seeds !! If I get any work this next few wks I'll go ahead and get a new LED from Builder they do sound great just a bit expensive , so maybe just one 144 wat (519 !!!) thats a lot of dough for 1 light but if it does what it says I'll be happy if not well I know I'll be crying all over these threads !! and if it kicks ass I'll be the first to talk them up !! :peace:

Excellent Choice ! GREAT Strain!

420 Benefactor

Do you notice if the AN Sensi balances your PH for you?

Don't know about balanacing but once it's in I usually don't have to mess with much ! My water here is horrible 570 ppm out of the tap so I usually just but distilled water it's about a buck a gallon !! If you check some of Frys old posts her was getting away with using about half of what they recommended and his grows are the bomb !!

Thanks for the heads up. I mixed a 2-1 ratio of FFOF to additional perlite because I was told that aeration was the key in soil. The Cannazyme is just like the hygrozyme. I've used all three in hydro ( Canna, Sensi and hygrozyme).

Do you think that adding any of the beneficials like mycorrhizae are worth the trouble?

I tune my add water to mid 6's. Tap is 7.6 to 7.7 and that seems a little high. Molasses the whole grow you say. Makes sense if it feeds the beneficials. Ever feed any of the Botanicare Sweet? I got the free 8 oz bottle and was thinking about adding it late in flower but maybe molasses is a better way to go in soil and the Sweet would just be duplicating the effort which is usually a bad idea.

Yeah soil aeration is critical, it's just imo that Ocean Forest is light enough right out of the bag. Have you thought about using Air Pots? These are in use for veg in my garden. They provide an abudance of oxygen to the roots. So much so that it's kinda hard to keep the plants moist because of the vigorous root growth. In my air pot test grow I had clones double up their sisters that were in regular pots under the same conditions during the same time period. OMM has been having tremendous success with the air pots too.
I use Light Warrior specifically for the mycorrizae. Good stuff that will make your soil come alive! Those beneficials are already in the OF and HF. The LW will just jack it up even more but if you're using the cannazyme that should also build up the population and activity so you may not need to add more.
I have indeed used Sweet and I basically see it as a $50 gallon of refined molasses. It does nothing to add flavor or anything else. I totally prefer my $10 gallon jug of horticulture molasses.
If you're interested in getting the amino acids that a product like Sweet offers I would look to a foliar spray. Aminos and carbs are taken in better thru the leaves than thru the roots. This is where products like Dutch Master Liquid Light, Max Fx, and Folitech come into action. LL is basically a supercharged hybrid of both Max Fx & Folitech.

Good to know I have an inoculation of the beneficials and now my job is to feed them. Are you going to use the air pots the whole grow? I would think so but have to ask. Does it make any sense to use the sweet as a foliar spray.

What's the difference between black strap molasses from the grocery store and horticultural molasses.

I'm using some wal-mart pots (about 6 gal) on this test grow. The airpots are a definite if I take this soil grow thing seriously. I did the soil grow this time since it is summer and hydro res temps are tougher to control then. Seemed like a good idea at the time and I like being ambidexterous in my grow knowledge. This is the learning grow and you help alot! Thanks.

It's too warm down here now for me to use the air pots all the way thru harvest. I ran into problems with mature plants drying out on me within hours of watering.
I'm seeing that even using them for veg only gives me a great advantage against root binding or coiling. I'll probably revisit blooming in air pots come Winter time.
From what I can tell the main difference is price and viscosity between the two. A small jar of black strap costs the same as my gallon jug. The horticulture stuff is a bit thinner and mixes easy. I use 1oz per gallon.

100_10314.JPG

If you get a chance, check out the Medina web site. They make some very interesting organic products that are directed at microbial activity. They even sell bottles of microbes!
I'm looking into using their compost starter on a bucket of mushroom compost for co2. It's the same thing that the co2 boost bucket uses. Only the boost bucket is $115 and the comost starter plus mushroom compost is less than $20 together :hmmmm:

Why not get it from Grow LED Hydro lights? I plan on getting the 300W it's a stack or 1K and the 180W is about 500 bucks. I think you would make out better from them I see many people who have grows with their lights

Gee, I had no idea that black strap was so expensive. I'll give the Medina website a look.

The air pots do have that root pruning in there don't they! My little ones (2 weeks in pots) are trailing far behind the hydro sitting next to them. I have to wait 2 days and somtimes 2 1/2 days between watering since they are so small and I keep the humidity around 60-65%. I think they are helping keep the humidity up though. I'm about 10% over what I normally get in the room.

:cheer:

Hello Deep Water Culture!

can anyone recomend a good Soil forum on here? something like this one for bubbles.. I am going to try an indoor soil grow...MAYBE..

I started a grow journal. You are more then welcome to post any questions in there. I will also try and catch any you post in here... but this thread FLYS! lol

Best of luck with your grows! :peace:

I am still new to any kind of internet social type thing (except saying hi to my sisters back East on face book) :reading420magazine:
I'd say I've been lurking since jan. I joined in April I got enough nerve up to post anything after I got b-day greetings from the fine folks at 420Mag needless to say the info that I have gathered from R.M. and the Deep Water Culture gang has been tremendously helpful thank you all!:adore:
nothing is more satisfying than growing your own medicine (except of course other than the love of my wife!!) :cheer:
my first grow turned out great i have the next grow vegging now and i harvest 4 more purple kushes on the 3rd,I got my clonning down, and my moma plants look happy too !
best of all I got Deep Water Culture to yak at!!:thanks::peacetwo:

Back
Top Bottom