The Deep Water Culture Home

well it is good to use both specturms as ive been told but im no expert by far,12-14 seems like if you can afford to run 2 hids for veg as well i would,as wel as the side lighting,they have me stuck on lots of light and lots of bubbles so thats the advice i give lol as long as your not worried about being hot spotted or power bills go for it.thats just my opinion

Yes I am stuck on lights and bubbles as well. I have about 6500 lumen per Sq' of cfls' in my 2'x3' grow area now along with 5 12" airstones in a 4 gal. res.. I have learned quite abit about cfls' but still do not know anything about Hid lighting, just starting to learn about them, but of course everyone says their ballasts or lamps are better thank the other guys. I was thinking about LED but as with most people I am gun shy about the $$ and not convinced about the tech. either.

Nice Bendog. Growing is like crack. Once you get started you just keep going!

Guido, You can do fine with cfls for a grow or two than after you figure out how you want to grow (hydro,buckets, table ebb&flo, dirt, coco etc).You can spend a few bucks an a good 400-600HPS or MH, or if the prices look better an LED or two. I've seen some kick ass grows here with cfls !! 2700k are best for flower 6500k better for veg but mix them up and they're great all the way through ...:peace:

So any Deep Water Culture wanna head over to nug of the month and show ya boy some love lol i thought my nug was a top contender but i only have 1 vote from me lol

You now have two votes hotsause!

Guido, You can do fine with cfls for a grow or two than after you figure out how you want to grow (hydro,buckets, table ebb&flo, dirt, coco etc).You can spend a few bucks an a good 400-600HPS or MH, or if the prices look better an LED or two. I've seen some kick ass grows here with cfls !! 2700k are best for flower 6500k better for veg but mix them up and they're great all the way through ...:peace:

I have no doubt about cfls' (I've got close to 6500 Lumen per Sq.' with about 75% of that in the flower temp. My 2 fems are day 26 flower and have termendous number of small buds with 3 or 4 stems on each plant trying to be the alpha stem on each plant. I will also try to update my journal this evenning with some pics. I will probably set up my large grow room (48 Sq.') with 3 400W or 600W digital ballasts. I would really like to get leds' but the cost would be huge to cover the room.

Good job BD! Of all the thing you did I like the Stud ink on your barrier lock. Did I tell you I'm easily amused while medicated? LOL!

I see a lot of soil growers chop the bottom leaves. Thinking they are not using side lites like us Hydro growers do so it's whats on top that counts. You can move those soil plants around for top light coverage if you have the space. The theory is to clip them early before the soil plant has invested a lot of energy invested in them.

Refresh my memory, why is it bad in hydro then??? I thought it wasn't really the best idea anytime?

thats what i thought,i thought most of the energy stored in the leaves is what feeds the buds,wouldent it mean more stored energyn to feed off of the plumper the buds?

When your trim off the leaves, the plant puts extra energy into re-growing what was cut off. As the plant and buds grow, they will take stored energy from those leaves, by cutting off healthy leaves and small branches you are in effect wasting the money you spent on nutrients, light and the space, that the plant used to grow them in the first place as well as the stress and now your plants will try to waste more energy which would be otherwise used to grow them delicious buds. I don't no if this is the same principle to use during the veg cycle ie.... fimming, topping, but I do not cut anything during the flowering cycle unless the plant has used up most of the stored energy. Usually these leaves are just falling off anyway. :ganjamon::ganjamon:

Yes I am stuck on lights and bubbles as well. I have about 6500 lumen per Sq' of cfls' in my 2'x3' grow area now along with 5 12" airstones in a 4 gal. res.. I have learned quite abit about cfls' but still do not know anything about Hid lighting, just starting to learn about them, but of course everyone says their ballasts or lamps are better thank the other guys. I was thinking about LED but as with most people I am gun shy about the $$ and not convinced about the tech. either.

Here is a VERY BASIC guide to HID's that I assembled from various places around here and books. Some GOOD growers have posted pics of their setups in it. I may go back and update it when I can edit posts. But until then it's a good start.

Agent Green :smokin:

Our prayers are with you and your mom Trunk! Here's to a smooth surgery and speedy recovery.

That could depend on the strain. My indicas have usaually gone crazy with new top growth when I remove lower branches for clones or when I clean up their trunks during preflower.

Bendog, You're a freakin Madman! Awesome cab Buddy! I'm a big sucker for diy builds! Positive reps & points for you asap! :rollit:

Does it seem to matter if they are soil or hydro? MC mentioned something about that too. I'm confused. :hmmmm:

thanks SD, accually it wasnt a good one, I was workin out of town and my buddy wanted to take me out for a few beers, I walked back to the motel after a few hours while he decided to stay out with some new friends, I woke up and he wasnt in the room and I knew it, he was in jail, lol

Prayers are out Trunk5

Reps out Ben for using what you had!!!

during veg I do cut the small sucker branches off the bottom just because IMO they dont do jack, but in flower I do nuthin :grinjoint: peace BH`s!!

Thanks scaredeecat! My wife laughs every time someone asks me what I did for my birthday.

I tell them I cleaned toilets!

Funny thing is I did. Before I took a shower in the morning I cleaned the toilets, well they need it, birthday or not. :rofl:

I remove entire branches or shoots not single leaves.
If plant matter is left on a branch the plant will try to regenerate the branch.
If the entire branch is removed all the way down to the stalk the plant will stop trying to make that branch grow and focus it's energy on it's remaining branches above.
We'll watch this widow I have to see the effect of lower branch pruning and if she takes off at an accelerated rate to catch up to her sister.

Prayers out to you Trunk, Good luck Bro...

So far, as far as I can tell it's do you want your nutes stored high or low on the plant. One way requires cutting and the other doesn't.

I can see benefits to both but only if the time the plant takes to recover is compensated by a vast increase in leaf matter stored nutes.

Back
Top Bottom