The Deep Water Culture Home

Just supercropped some of the top cola locations on my Jacks. 10 days into flower. Don't think I'll touch them again until harvest. Tough little suckers at this point.

Started on 12/12 around 18" and are now at 26" so I SC'd them to even up the canopy this one last time. Just got the top 4-6" or so (aka new growth). I'd bet they will be back up about 1/2 way by dinner time and then hold there while the first couple of nodes rise up to meet the top.

This is not for the faint of heart or the inexperienced. To me it's just another tool in canopy management which is my major tool for increased yield. The only thing I'll do from now till harvest is some leaf tucking. If a leaf is shading an emerging grow tip I simply tuck the leaf under the grow tip to get it max light.

Right now I'm losing about 1 or 2 leaves a day total from 6 plants from the plant base as the plant uses the nutes stored in those leaves to build the tops. I either allow them to fall off naturally or tug on a mostly yellowing ones to see if the plant is done with it. I don't cut leaves. Only lose about 1 or 2 fan leaves per week. Most of the leaves that come off are the lower little leaves on the side branching and the Jack does have major side branching.

MC,Do you add anything during flowering to help keep your fan leaves healthy ? Like a little grow nutes ? I'm just into the second wk of flowering with a couple of OG hybrids, using AN Sensi Bloom , I have some of their big bud powder that I haven't started with yet ...when is a good time to start using that ? Thanks MC... so far no yellowing of anything !!

Yes, I add a 1/4-1/3 dose of grow nutes for the first two weeks of flower. I'm using the AN Sensi for my 3 hydro plants and Fox Farm's trio for the 3 soil plants. I'll only use it for the first 2 weeks and then stop abruptly.

I don't know anything about the Big Bud additive time table. I don't use it. What do the package instructions say? Whatever it is I'd go 1/2 way to start and see what the plants think of it before I went full force. For instance, the FF nutes say to add 2 tsp/gal of Tiger bloom but last time I used 1 tsp. They reacted well so next watering they will get the recommended 2 tsp/gal but I'll still watch them for any adverse reaction. This grow has been amazingly trouble free except for that snapped top when I tried to SC the soil plants too soon. Best thing is that all the stems are very thick ( around 1 1/2" thick each) on both the soil and the BP tank. The soil plants are just a little thinner than the BP plants but not enough to worry about or even tell unless you look closely. The AN sensi line is tops for hydro but the soil plants really like the FF nutes better.

Now keep in mind that I'm a noob on the soil plants. Just using general grow knowledge and caution and hoping that's enough to keep me out of the ditch. I've gotten all the help I need from the soil experienced growers on this site.

But, the SH tanks are meant to use a 2'x2' area and I plan on using a 2'x3' area for future grows with more lamps and an igloo cooler for a tank, which is a bit longer than these tubs.

Now I'm totally confused though. Is crowded good or bad? Maybe it's just an indica thing and sativas can't be crowded or something?[/QUOTE]

IMHO, unless your using reg. seeds and plan on pulling some males, I wouldn't do more than 4 in that space. I'm currently growing 4 in 18 gallon tub, 3x3x7 tent. You will think they don't get so big while in veg, but once you go 12/12, they double/tripple in size. And res changes are challenging at this size.

That's how I did it with my test crop, except in dirt. I cloned everything as soon as I could, then let the crop mature until I could sex the plants.

Just make sure you label the original plants and their clones really well so once you find those males you can get rid of the right clones.

Then, you can take it a step further and keep all the female clones until after the original test crop is done flowering and curing and you can try your buds. Then, choose the only clones that put out the most, best tasting, bud from the hardiest plants for your particular grow room.

I'm excited for you. You're fortunate to find Roseman's guide now and not spend so much time with dirt like I did.

Thanks for the reply and it sounds interesting. I was planning to not flower the original seedling at all. I was not sure if cloning from clones affects the growth and yield of the plants. Sounds like i would have to make a choice.

A somewhat crowded canopy is great but it takes some management to keep everything on one level.

Depending on what strain you grow different amounts of plants can be grown from a BP tank. For instance, I know most of the strain I grow have strong side branching and my job becomes getting the branches enough light so they join the canopy. I do grow mine to between 12-16" in veg so 3 is probably the right number for me but I usually grow 4 (one in each corner) and just try to manage the canopy as best I can. By the time I'm done with 4 fems my grow space of about 4' x3' is filled.

Now there are some strain that grow more as a single cola and 4 would be no problem in that case. Or if you only veg them to say 8" then 4 would work out great also. Keep in mind that I am using a 400 watt hps with some cfl side lights for flower. If using only cfl's your milage will vary depending on your ability to do the canopy management and how many cfl's you are using.

Most sativa are going to spread out sideways more than your standard indica will but I use crosses for the most part and they always spread. I wouldn't veg a full sativa very long in a bp tank. They can jump 3x their veg height and it could be real messy come harvest time and your yield per plant would be less. Not a lot of big buds on your standard full sativa but a lot of little to mid size and spear shaped. Full Sativa ( something like a Super Silver Haze) really needs to be outside or under a big HPS to do it's best.

Sorry, newbie question

Hey gang:), sorry to chime in off topic, or maybe its kinda on topic with the hottest month coming up, but my question is on humidity. I know I know, its been covered in depth and is pretty basic and believe me I've done a bunch of research on it:reading420magazine: but I still wanted to make sure of something b/c I dont want to mess up now this late in the grow...:morenutes:

Im coming here b/c this thread is just a huge collection of great ppl with lots of knowledge and maybe yall can point me in the right direction or put my mind at ease if Im just worrying for nuthing.:helpsmilie:

Ok so, info on the garden so you can be more prepared to help -
Of course, Im a Deep Water Culture! :420:I grow with bubbles !!:420:

She is a white widow...I Vegged for 2 months and now shes almost a month into bloom and is just over 4ft tall and is just now starting to form flowers.

The temps are 70F at night and low 80s in the day
The humidity is from 30-45% and sometimes higher to 50%, currently reading 37% and my thermometers says this level is "High"
But from what I've read, these levels are ok...right? or wrong?

But the thing is, sometimes I notice a small amount of water on a leaf and I can only guess this is from condensation from the humidity

So my question is...is my thermometer right saying my humidity is high and I need to work to bring it down or is 30-40% ok to get this baby to flourish?

Sorry for the newbie post!:loopy: Thanks for your time

Humidity at 35% is good for flower.
A little water on the leaves is probably from the plant transpiring.

If I'm way off base here, I'm sure someone else will chime in. :)

Green is correct,, leafs transpire, when the humidity is low and temps are high you can see water on the leafs if they are touching each other, I `m from 30 to 40 percent humidity during flower :peace:

Sounds like good info to me. I find little droplets of water on leaves every few days or so, I just make sure to move my canopy around a little each day, this way the water will dry without worries of mold.. :bravo:

Hydroe, Yes you can flower with 50% rh but make sure you keep a small fan circulating the air in there. The water you see on the leaves is transpiration (Plants are sweating) normal when rh is high a fan blowing in there should make it OK . :peace:

cj harvest complete

cj_harvest_010.JPG

Adding an additional reservoir

Hey guys! New to this place. I just started a bubble phonic system and I want to add an additional reservoir unto it. But I couldn't find anything on how to build one or how it works. If anyone could offer any info I would be grateful. Thanks!

Lost forever, Look for stealth hydro.com they sell ready made set ups or you can check them out and make your own , they do sell parts . Most items can be bought at Home Depot or Wally World, there are many diy threads here on this site as well, just look under the forums up above ...welcome to 420 ...:peace:

Back
Top Bottom