The Deep Water Culture Home

Hi everyone,

Im soon to be a Deep Water Culture and getting things ready for my first grow. Ia m interested in the SOG with bubblephonics. I would like some help/input/advice on my game plan:

I plan to start with one 10 gal tank with 6 white widow skunk seeds and follow Rosemans tutorial and veg them for about 4 weeks.

Then i wanted to take clones from all six of the plants at around week 4 and a half and veg them for bout two weeks and flower them to determine the sex. I am doing this so I can get a good mother plant out of the 6 seedlings. Once i know the sex of the clones, I will toss the males and keep the females as mother plant in my veg room.

I have never done cloning to determine sex. The plan sounds simple in my head but i can be totally wrong.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.:rollit:

Quick question. Is a 10 gallon sterlite tank too big for a DWC or Deep Water Culture DIY res? I picked up one today along with bubble wands, tubing, and those stick on thermometers today. I'm thinking of a DIY DWC to go along with the SH setup I ordered...

myzz i posted this on your new thread but i will post it here to see if anyone might be able to help .....another idea could be to make a couple square carbon filters and fit those into the back of an old hollow a/c unit and vent the tents to it and put it in the window ,basicly a fake a/c ya kno.that is if there is an avalible window.idk just tryin to flip some switches

myzz i posted this on your new thread but i will post it here to see if anyone might be able to help .....another idea could be to make a couple square carbon filters and fit those into the back of an old hollow a/c unit and vent the tents to it and put it in the window ,basicly a fake a/c ya kno.that is if there is an avalible window.idk just tryin to flip some switches

I see what you mean. Thing is these windows slide sideways so I dont have any AC's installed because there would be a big ass gap on top. I see some people use wood to cover that up but once fall/winter comes which is soon; it will look funny. I plan on getting two carbon filters and place them in the tents and vent it out a side hole. Thing im worried about is stale air messing with the plants. That and venting the hot air or getting fresh air into the room. Like should i just vent the air into the closet? Or should I worry much about it since many people use two tents in one room. Need to make sure the air quality is good for my ladies before i start. Would one of them ozone things work with a portable ac in the closet and some fans in the closet and tents? Ozone activated like once every hour for 10mins if that? (posting this in my thread too)

Those 10 gallon tubs are exactly what the SH "starter kits" use. You just normally only fill it to 6 gallons. You'll see when your order arrives.

This might help. I've found that I don't really need to be pumping bubbles to any roots unless they're too short to reach the water, so DWC is the natural next step after using Deep Water Culture for starting seeds or adding clones. Once the roots reach the water, you'll probably want to remove the pump (before it gets clogged with roots) and poof, it's a DWC tank.

I use one tank for vegging and another for flowering. You can probably do better than this but here's my recent grow journal.

thanks! I must admit to being a lurker in your J... As soon as I decided to do hydro via DWC and Deep Water Culture, I started lurking in a lot of the Deep Water Culture threads.

When my kit gets here, I am going to use the lid as a template for my DIY kit. I am wondering if I should do 4 or 6 holes???

thanks! I must admit to being a lurker in your J... As soon as I decided to do hydro via DWC and Deep Water Culture, I started lurking in a lot of the Deep Water Culture threads.

When my kit gets here, I am going to use the lid as a template for my DIY kit. I am wondering if I should do 4 or 6 holes???

If I was to make a DYI res. I would only use 4 holes, if I know that I have only female plants, it can get very crowded and light penetration suffers on the center of the plants. Also with the roots farther apart it is easier to rotate your net cups in the holes to get a better mix of light coverage.

:welcome:

Just a quick update, and a question.
I've been pretty sick so I haven't been on much and I'm pretty far behind on the posts.
Tonight was 3 weeks since I put my seeds in the tank.
I am still battling heat & PH issues, and I even added an inline fan to exhaust the hot air out of the top of the tent.
Since all 6 of my babies have reached the water, when I did my D&R tonight I removed the pump and feeder lines.

Now the question.
When I did the D&R I noticed that I had some yellowish slime on the lines and the bag over the filter.
My roots are white, and the water smelled fine but was a little cloudy.
How big a problem is this, and how do I keep this from happening?
I remember reading something about adding hydrogen peroxide, but my mind is in a fog from all the meds I'm taking right now.
:thanks:

I've been pretty sick so I haven't been on much and I'm pretty far behind on the posts.
I am still battling heat & PH issues, and I even added an inline fan to exhaust the hot air out of the top of the tent.
Since all 6 of my babies have reached the water, when I did my D&R tonight I removed the pump and feeder lines.

Now the question.
When I did the D&R I noticed that I had some yellowish slime on the lines and the bag over the filter.
I remember reading something about adding hydrogen peroxide, but my mind is in a fog from all the meds I'm taking right now.

Make sure that you clean your lines and pump (disassemble it if you can) before you use them again. It may just be nutrients coating and sticking to the lines, I believe that the ratio of peroxide to water is 1 Tblspn to 1 gal of water. Preventative for algi and root rot.

Quick question. Is a 10 gallon sterlite tank too big for a DWC or Deep Water Culture DIY res? I picked up one today along with bubble wands, tubing, and those stick on thermometers today. I'm thinking of a DIY DWC to go along with the SH setup I ordered...

I use the 10 gallon totes, they are the same as the SH kit. I agree with Guido, if you are growing from seed, no more than 4 females per tub(even that is crowded). If using clones, you could get away with all six, because they normally don't get as big. I start my plants in bubble totes, then transfer to individual 5 gallon bucket DWC's. The plants get huge, when they have all that room!

Now the question.

The hydrogen peroxide will definitely help. I think it is 2 tbsp per gallon, as an algae prevent-er. As long as the water smells fresh, it shouldn't be a big problem. I'm assuming there are no light leaks?

OK, I just woke up from a bong induced stupor. Organic grows would not allow for the use of hydrogen peroxide. It relies on a symbiotic relationship of various enzymes and bacteria and hp kills those processes. Organics is hydro is very difficult as things happen way too fast for those processes to occur naturally.

Ever bong a nice sativa, get too high and try to adjust the high with a nice strong indica but miss that target high by a lot? Ya, me to! LOL!

My Killing Field and Killing Kush, have started to bloom, after 20 days in 12/12! Seemed like an eternity, compared to my Indica grows.

Canon_1831.jpg

It's the sativa cross that delays flowering. My Jack is supposed to keep growing for at least 3-4 weeks after 12/12 and then set down to flower production with avengence and be done in 7-10 weeks.

Been so long since I had a good bong I went nuts on it this weekend. At my friends suggestion I installed a one hit bowl on it and then proceeded to do power shots for hours on end. Started up with some Malawi for power, switch to some straight sativa he brought over, went out for about 8 hours of J-ing it up and then finished with some Jack Herer but don't exactly remember what happened after that. Next weekend . .. hash topping! Wheeeee! Bongs are a shortcut to where you want to go! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom