The Deep Water Culture Home

Hey Rose
I only take of a few lower leaves off at the end of veg to increase air flow

Thanks dude! :smokin:

Major Tom

They look simply wonderful. Please share with us your "what's good-what's bad" growing experience utilizing hydro vs dirt when you have finished the grow. You have a unique perspective having done both back to back.

Peace

Sam

The insanity has begun... 3 Durban poison X clones, they was beat up from the roots up! Time to go to work :slide: Picked up a 1/8 of pink kush AND the clones for $65!!! ;) Gave em 1/4 nutes and plenty of room on the light. Ya temps are high and RH is low...

Also I picked up a 400 watt sun hydro "I think" :scratchinghead: MH remote ballast and mongo socket today for $75 used very little...No pics yet, my best bro has it right now, bending up a hood and adding the switch and that piece so you can run HPS... Enough blabbing! Onto the abused girls... :cheer: And I have 3 jacks cleaner2 seeds that 2, have popped with a tap root. More to come... Ya Deep Water Culture!!! :cheer: The mule :allgood:

Babies_are_home_002.JPG

Babies_are_home_004.JPG

Babies_are_home_005.JPG

Babies_are_home_006.JPG

I'd like to reinterate Roseman's request to keep it in the DWC section. Seems like the peaceful thing to do and that really important for our group! We need that rep as a peace lovng, no drama, group of exceptional grower's who are willing to train for the asking. We can help a lot of people that way and that is the point here. Peace, Love and Joy!

Major Tom

They look simply wonderful. Please share with us your "what's good-what's bad" growing experience utilizing hydro vs dirt when you have finished the grow. You have a unique perspective having done both back to back.

Peace

Sam

Thank s OK

Pro's Hydro:
No mixing soil with a shovel
Got your grow medium right in the house
No up potting needed
Easy to flush
Cons:
Noisy pumps with the big ones
Can't move the plants around like soil pots as easy
Water use and filling and dumping
Same bug problems as soil

Pros Soil:
Quiet
Easy to feed once a week
Easy to spin pots around for different light penetration
Easy to move plants out or in
Less nutes with the right soilless mix

Con's
Mixing the soil up
Pots and more pots
Soil mess at times
Bug issue again is about the same

Thank s OK

Pro's Hydro:
No mixing soil with a shovel
Got your grow medium right in the house
No up potting needed
Easy to flush
Cons:
Noisy pumps with the big ones
Can't move the plants around like soil pots as easy
Water use and filling and dumping
Same bug problems as soil

Pros Soil:
Quiet
Easy to feed once a week
Easy to spin pots around for different light penetration
Easy to move plants out or in
Less nutes with the right soilless mix

Con's
Mixing the soil up
Pots and more pots
Soil mess at times
Bug issue again is about the same

What about rate of growth?
My first time indoors in hydro, the speed the plants grew had me floored!

Thats on of my biggest motivations I think.

What about rate of growth?
My first time indoors in hydro, the speed the plants grew had me floored!

Thats on of my biggest motivations I think.

yes, thats a documented fact, although I found that soil will equal it at finish if you give the magic extra 7-10 days it lags behind the speed of hydro for sure.

Some in hydro will let there germinated seeds get longer tails to introduce them to the water even faster, before placing them low in the basket.
4 weeks
soil7.jpg

4 weeks
hydro8.jpg

P1030897.jpg

Killing Fields Green Pheno HYDRO
mini-P10407431.JPG

SOIL Purple pheno
kf.jpg

O yeaaaa :grinjoint:

KF_Purp_test_drive.JPG

should have cloned her :thedoubletake:

mini-P1040909.jpg

yes, thats a documented fact, although I found that soil will equal it at finish if you give the magic extra 7-10 days it lags behind the speed of hydro for sure.

Just wanted to compare what I saw with what you are doing.

Since my soil is outdoors and a different mix figured it would be worth asking.

My soil grows noticeably slower, but outdoor yields make up for it. :cheer:

first off let me say i'm sorry. i'm sure these questions have been asked and answered, but for the life of me i couldn't find em. i'll ask the questions anyways and fill in what i have read though. all of these questions pretty much revolve around the water pump since the air pump ( i've read) 24/7.

how long ( duration) do you run the water pump?

i have read various times on this, 24/7, 1min on/5min off, 15min on/ 45min off etc etc. i guess whatever is working for a person is what they go with but i'd like to have a general guideline.

what time is the pump run at?

is it only run during lights on or is it run all the time on whatever time cycle you have chosen.

when the roots reach the waterline in the reservoir do you still use the pump?

i've seen others run without the water pump and just do straight bubbles. does the water pump increase the speed of growth after hitting the water or does it grow at the same rate regardless.

does leaving the pump on and keeping the rockwool damp during the grow increase your chances of stemrot?

though i have yet to read anything that says yes ( i'm sure its out there) i have read a thread that says you need to let the rockwool dry out a bit so this won't happen.

right now i'm in the process of transitioning from dirt to hydro so i don't have all of the componants yet, but before i start running i'd like to at least have an idea of what i'm doing even for a newb. alot of the ph/ppm and nute questions have been answered, but i just couldn't find the answers to these particular questions. so throw your opinions over and thanks for reading.

oh, and sorry if this is'nt the right place for this. if it's not, i could take it out and put it in the right spot, thanks.

first off let me say i'm sorry. i'm sure these questions have been asked and answered, but for the life of me i couldn't find em. i'll ask the questions anyways and fill in what i have read though. all of these questions pretty much revolve around the water pump since the air pump ( i've read) 24/7.

how long ( duration) do you run the water pump? - We run it 24/7 until the roots are well into the water

i have read various times on this, 24/7, 1min on/5min off, 15min on/ 45min off etc etc. i guess whatever is working for a person is what they go with but i'd like to have a general guideline.See above

what time is the pump run at?N/A

is it only run during lights on or is it run all the time on whatever time cycle you have chosen.All the time until the roots are well into the water

when the roots reach the waterline in the reservoir do you still use the pump? See above

i've seen others run without the water pump and just do straight bubbles. does the water pump increase the speed of growth after hitting the water or does it grow at the same rate regardless.What you are looking at is straight DWC. You have to adjust the level of the water to the level of water to meet the level you think the roots may be. The pump and feeder lines make it an automatic process. Great for a new grower

does leaving the pump on and keeping the rockwool damp during the grow increase your chances of stemrot?Nope, the pump is long gone before it causes any problems

though i have yet to read anything that says yes ( i'm sure its out there) i have read a thread that says you need to let the rockwool dry out a bit so this won't happen.The mature plants roots system will cover and hide the rockwool eventually. At that point it doesn't matter if it's wet or dry and it will be mostly gone!

right now i'm in the process of transitioning from dirt to hydro so i don't have all of the componants yet, but before i start running i'd like to at least have an idea of what i'm doing even for a newb. alot of the ph/ppm and nute questions have been answered, but i just couldn't find the answers to these particular questions. so throw your opinions over and thanks for reading.

oh, and sorry if this is'nt the right place for this. if it's not, i could take it out and put it in the right spot, thanks.

Don't worry, the new growers who ask the most questions when they start sometimes end up being the best growers

This is as good as any place since your asking questions about Deep Water Culture.

Did you know that if you are a Deep Water Culture, you can get a 10% discount from Stealth Hydroponics by using the discount code Deep Water Culture?

? How should I lower it?

If you can put it directly on a cold concrete floor, that works well and it's easy.

Some people use frozen bottles of water in the res.

You can also help things by making sure the light is not hitting the top of the tub. Foil or something on the top to reflect the heat if it is.

You can run a cooling loop though a cooler full of water... do a search for "ghetto chiller" and you'll find the DIY thread.

The best solution is a chiller... those start at around $200, and you'll need a circ. pump too.

I just open the closet door when the lights are on that seems to keep me in the high 70s. Whenever I add water I usually drop a few ice cubes into the mix. Good luck :peace:

Back
Top Bottom