The Deep Water Culture Home

I just wanted to chime in on the tutorial thread you have going Roseman.

I have been reading through it, even though I have read it somewhere before about 10 times lol. Great stuff.

I agree with your water opinion. I use city water that comes out around 7.5 ph, my GH nova nutes take it down to 5.6-5.8 and I'm good to go. My plant loves the city water.

I talked to the guy at my local hydro shop awhile ago about it also, he really knows his stuff. He said, basically in hydroponics since its such an open environment of all water it does not hurt to have the stuff city water may have in it. In dirt on the other hand he said it is good to go with filtered or other "clean" water options.

That funny because just this last res change I had to switch to distillled water. My ppm was approaching 600 and caused all kinds of ph problems. I use the GH flora series but maybe the Nova gets better ph control. The distilled has been steady at 5.78-5.83 since this morning. I've been using tap for the last 6 grows but it usually ranges around 350. Don't know what caused it to jump but plan to call the water co in the am.

Here is the most recent one you posted Roseman(after you so graciously added me to the list). I had copied to my clipboard.

Join up with us if you accept the Pledge and proudly display the logo in your signature.
SpongeBob Squarepants grows hydroponically!
He grows in the sea.
He grows with tiny bubbles,
just like you and me!

We ARE Family,
We are The Deep Water Culture!
If you want to learn from the greats, Major Tom,
PurpDaddy, Mostly Crazy, Bongtok4u,, db297, JonnyBtreed, Southern HomeGrower, HomeGrown Hairy, ACGrower, MajPat, tSunami13, Paranoid420, LongHornFan, SmokeNchoke, hubebaba, xpac7007, Dystopia, sophanox, polishfalcon420,fatflathead, loolagigi, Olias, tilemaster, c5rftw, Stgeneziz, SmokenChoke, RPSmoker420, npsant, chnk915,Theanswerto1984is1776, and hundreds of other skilled Deep Water Culture growers, then learn from THE BUBLEHEADS.
If you can teach DWC and Deep Water Culture, display the logo, am willing to help the new members here, and want to be part of a family, then join us.

Show your logo, show your pride, and show your intelligence and ability to do what most people can not do and that is grow Hydroponically with Feeder Tubes and a Water Pump!
We're not Dirt Bags!
We are The Deep Water Culture!!!!!
THE BUBLEHEAD GANG!
We are NOT DirtBags!!! We can grow in water!
Right click the Deep Water Culture Logo, save it to your computer, then upload it to your signature.
By adding this Deep Water Culture Logo to your signature, and claiming membership to the Deep Water Culture, you pledge to be very helpful to Newbies with DWC and Deep Water Culture with patience and caring and make all other Deep Water Culture proud to be a member of the gang. You agree to teach others growing with Bubbles. If you do not know the answer, go get someone else from the Deep Water Culture Gang to help.
Send or post this invitation to anyone you like and be sure that they know DWC and Deep Water Culture and are willing to help newbies.
May the Bubble Force be with us all.
God Bless our Chief Deep Water Culture, Mostly Crazy!

The Deep Water Culture are dedicated to helping others learn to grow in water, simple, fast and easy.

Helpful links:

I have been off the site for a while, swamped with work!! Hope everyone is doing well. I am in the process of updating my thread. Hope everyone comes through to check it out!

Hello friends, I have completed Deep Water Culture grows in the past leaving the feeder tubes in about 4 weeks. I have plants 10 days old and all roots are in the water now. I was thinking if I remove the pump and tubes now that would promote root growth. The roots have hit the water so they know were the food source is. What do you guys think? Don't get me wrong I like the pump and tubes, I'm just wondering if my logic is sound.

Hello friends, I have completed Deep Water Culture grows in the past leaving the feeder tubes in about 4 weeks. I have plants 10 days old and all roots are in the water now. I was thinking if I remove the pump and tubes now that would promote root growth. The roots have hit the water so they know were the food source is. What do you guys think? Don't get me wrong I like the pump and tubes, I'm just wondering if my logic is sound.

That's about right. You can leave em in or take em out at this point. Once the roots hit the water it's the bubbles that take over. Some wait until the pump gets pretty tangled, or lines get clogged. You can leave the pump in to circ the water or take it out all together. The feeder lines give plants a great head start. I'd just make sure there is 5-10 roots from each plant in the water before pulling.

Your logic is sound. Many of us remove the pump when the roots are well into the water. By well into the water I mean 6" or so. The pump has done it's job at that point. Turns it into a multi-port dwc. What you growing this time? Fems or reg? How many you plan on growing in the one res?

That's about right. You can leave em in or take em out at this point. Once the roots hit the water it's the bubbles that take over. Some wait until the pump gets pretty tangled, or lines get clogged. You can leave the pump in to circ the water or take it out all together. The feeder lines give plants a great head start. I'd just make sure there is 5-10 roots from each plant in the water before pulling.
Thank you for the response. They all have 1 or 2 roots in the water, some very deep already.

Your logic is sound. Many of us remove the pump when the roots are well into the water. By well into the water I mean 6" or so. The pump has done it's job at that point. Turns it into a multi-port dwc. What you growing this time? Fems or reg? How many you plan on growing in the one res?
Thank you, I think I will give it another week before removal. I want it out sooner this time.
I am growing 2 fem blue mystic from nirvana in the SH bucketeer, also 2 SH resevoirs reg seeds - 6 Anesthesia from sannie, and 5 star kush also from sannie. Only 5 because I had a dud and no back up seeds cracked.
I'm thinking I'll get 3 fems out of each res, looking to have 8 plants total.
I'm amazed at this kush strain, it much faster growing and eats alot more. Can't wait to see these plants flower.

I'm currently in week 7 for the Sannie Jack and I'm liking what I see. Healthy plant from top to botom with a big ass cola in the middle and plenty of what will be golfball sized side buds. Too bad it's a 10-13 week strain but I can wait. Love the kush's also. Let me know how the kush progresses. I've got the indica mix from Sannie for a grow in the future. Harijuana, Anesthesia and Jackberry. Wish Sannie had fem seeds but the reg he has seem to be top notch. Saw a grow with the Blue Mistic in dirt and it was something to behold. Can't imagine what it will do in hydro!!

I'm currently in week 7 for the Sannie Jack and I'm liking what I see. Healthy plant from top to botom with a big ass cola in the middle and plenty of what will be golfball sized side buds. Too bad it's a 10-13 week strain but I can wait. Love the kush's also. Let me know how the kush progresses. I've got the indica mix from Sannie for a grow in the future. Harijuana, Anesthesia and Jackberry. Wish Sannie had fem seeds but the reg he has seem to be top notch. Saw a grow with the Blue Mistic in dirt and it was something to behold. Can't imagine what it will do in hydro!!
Yeah I'll let you know how they all do. I'm considering starting a thread but I think I'll wait until it gets a little more interesting. I also have some harijuana seeds, I got them because I noted a warning on them - Not for the casual smoker - or something to that effect. It's like a 25% thc strain, very potent.

I just wanted some strong indica. I've been growing crosses for the most part and wanted to see what I could do with a full blooded indica. I plan to be a caregiver and hard hitting strains may be required. I like it sort of trippy and the Jack is supposed to be strong on both sides and I also have one of Subcool's Pandora's Box which is giggly stuff and for me that's a nice change of pace. Doing just about as well and quite impressive actually. Sort of like the Jack's little sister as their growing patterns are similar. Can't wait to taste it but I will.

I Had problems leaving them in to long the pump gets cloged with root matter
and before you know you got the funk in all your tubes are cloged and that just the start of the Problems it will raise the res temps also I take them out as soon as possiable but thats just my experience

Hell yeah ! Take em out ! You don't need them anymore !! Once those roots hit water your done with the hoses !! :peace:

Hey Roseman and fellow Bubblepeople.

I have a 4 plant grow going right now. I just went into week #5 of flower so everything is well along. My problem is this one plant, which isn't doing anything, good or bad. My largest (Power Kush) is at 43" but this little one is no more than 12". Most of the leaves are gone. There are no buds. I looked at the roots and they seem fine and the roots also smell good. My question is should I just leave the little sucka alone and let it ride out the grow, not expecting anything out of it, or should I pull it with 5-6 weeks or so to go.

When I started this grow, I used 4 different strains. The largest and biggest producer is the Power Kush. It is dominating the grow, and subsequesntly it has stunted the growth of the two backside plants. After 2 days from seed the Power Kush was already 3". It had grown so fast I thought it was a mutant or something. It grew so fast it just fell over on it's side. I used a piece of toilet paper tube and propped it up and since then it has gotten strong and has been fine.
Once again, my question is what to do with the back runty. I would prefer to just leave it and not upset anything, like roots. But keeping it may also potentailly cause some problems I may not be aware of.

Peace

Sam

A couple of weeks before my harvest, I found a 12 inch runt, that had NO pistlas or signs of any bud, so I raised the lid and cut her roots off and pulled her out. I felt so bad, like I was performing a Mercy Killing.

Leaving it serves no purpose, and removing it does no harm, so I tossed it.

I just wanted to chime in on the tutorial thread you have going Roseman.

I have been reading through it, even though I have read it somewhere before about 10 times lol. Great stuff.

I agree with your water opinion. I use city water that comes out around 7.5 ph, my GH nova nutes take it down to 5.6-5.8 and I'm good to go. My plant loves the city water.

I talked to the guy at my local hydro shop awhile ago about it also, he really knows his stuff. He said, basically in hydroponics since its such an open environment of all water it does not hurt to have the stuff city water may have in it. In dirt on the other hand he said it is good to go with filtered or other "clean" water options.

I have read that PURE water is more needed in SOIL grows because the bad stuff can accumulate in the soil. But Ed Rosenthal says if the water is safe to drink, it is safe for Hydroponic growing.

Bottom line it is a matter of opinion, and there seems to be a 50 - 50% divide in opinions. I won't argue or debate it, but I will copy and paste what Ed Rosenthal said and I'll give my opinion from my experience. If someone differs, then I can only assume they got a different experience, so they have a different opinion. And there is nothing wrong with that, no more than one might perfer a soil grow to a hydro grow, or a wheat straw paper to a french light paper. It's just opionion and preference..

Thanks for the feed back tho, I appreciate it.

That funny because just this last res change I had to switch to distillled water. My ppm was approaching 600 and caused all kinds of ph problems. I use the GH flora series but maybe the Nova gets better ph control. The distilled has been steady at 5.78-5.83 since this morning. I've been using tap for the last 6 grows but it usually ranges around 350. Don't know what caused it to jump but plan to call the water co in the am.

I used to test water, test the amount of clorine, from door to door, and neighbors could have different levels, in the sane neighborhood, from the same city source. I don't know why or have any explanation.

Here is the most recent one you posted Roseman(after you so graciously added me to the list). I had copied to my clipboard.

Join up with us if you accept the Pledge and proudly display the logo in your signature.
SpongeBob Squarepants grows hydroponically!
He grows in the sea.
He grows with tiny bubbles,
just like you and me!

We ARE Family,
We are The Deep Water Culture!
If you want to learn from the greats, Major Tom,
PurpDaddy, Mostly Crazy, Bongtok4u,, db297, JonnyBtreed, Southern HomeGrower, HomeGrown Hairy, ACGrower, MajPat, tSunami13, Paranoid420, LongHornFan, SmokeNchoke, hubebaba, xpac7007, Dystopia, sophanox, polishfalcon420,fatflathead, loolagigi, Olias, tilemaster, c5rftw, Stgeneziz, SmokenChoke, RPSmoker420, npsant, chnk915,Theanswerto1984is1776, and hundreds of other skilled Deep Water Culture growers, then learn from THE BUBLEHEADS.
If you can teach DWC and Deep Water Culture, display the logo, am willing to help the new members here, and want to be part of a family, then join us.

Show your logo, show your pride, and show your intelligence and ability to do what most people can not do and that is grow Hydroponically with Feeder Tubes and a Water Pump!
We're not Dirt Bags!
We are The Deep Water Culture!!!!!
THE BUBLEHEAD GANG!
We are NOT DirtBags!!! We can grow in water!
Right click the Deep Water Culture Logo, save it to your computer, then upload it to your signature.
By adding this Deep Water Culture Logo to your signature, and claiming membership to the Deep Water Culture, you pledge to be very helpful to Newbies with DWC and Deep Water Culture with patience and caring and make all other Deep Water Culture proud to be a member of the gang. You agree to teach others growing with Bubbles. If you do not know the answer, go get someone else from the Deep Water Culture Gang to help.
Send or post this invitation to anyone you like and be sure that they know DWC and Deep Water Culture and are willing to help newbies.
May the Bubble Force be with us all.
God Bless our Chief Deep Water Culture, Mostly Crazy!

The Deep Water Culture are dedicated to helping others learn to grow in water, simple, fast and easy.

Helpful links:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, THAT ONE IS THE MOST RECENT!

I sure miss alot of those guys too. I think Dystopia left right after he saw the Florida Bust there. And I wonder about many others listed there too. Remember old Peterman? LOL

Time, like 4 years on 4 grow sites, has taught me, newbs come, they ask 100 questions, become your firend, they learn, they finish and harvest a grow, then they know more than you do, so they leave and are then gone.

ca sara, ca sara.

I remove mine at 3 to 4 weeks.

+ REP for you! Good advice!

(+ REP is a little harder to get here I think. I don't seem to get as much as I used to)

Back
Top Bottom