The Flavored Cannabis Project

I have a blueberry clone for a mother plant, thinking strawberry or maybe vanilla for that. Not sure I'm ready for that type of experiment but, wth, I'll have a decent amount of clones soon!

Hey oldmanjj,

Why yes please - jump right in and do your thing!!! I’m excited to hear this. Do you have any ideas on what flavor you are planning to add? Im not trying to be a pain by suggesting clones - but I do know that if there is not a control plant and same phenotype then everyone will immediately say oh yeah chalk that up to placebo effect.

I do think one very cool aspect will be head to head taste test after harvest and curing. Have a friend sample the 2 batches and see what results or comments are made.….

man I’ve got to get my garden revved up to full speed pronto…… I’m itching to try this.

I'm thinking blueberry vanilla. Maybe take vanilla beans and chop them up. Add that to my soil mix after final transplant and see what happens. Possibly add some pure vanilla extract every other watering once they flip to flower. It will be easy to do a control plant with clones.

Hey MAK1

I‘m a firm believer we gotta start with clones. Otherwise there is no control plant and further how will we know the difference between phenotypes? Even if you take 5 White Widows from the same bud they will not produce identical plants - the growth, taste and terps will each carry a different expression. Right?

Clones are the way to go then you can make head to head comparisons since both plants were identical twins cut from the same mother. Clone A was grown straight up and smells like diesel but her twin sister Clone B was given citrus essential oil and is fruity AF. Plus we are less likely to piss anyone off if/when a clone bites the dust. The clone concept means you don’t have to risk expensive beans and a pair of clones should carry identical taste and terps so we can easily distinguish the differences.

but with that said I’m down for any experimentation regarding flavor. You could go soft and subtle with lavender, or more boldly with menthol but I do think for now any takers should only apply one scent over the duration of the subject plants life cycle. Sandalwood, citrus, watermelon, lemongrass, anise, clove, banana, the world is your oyster. In the end I think we will be amazed that some really strong flavors don’t translate very well and perhaps a few muted flavors may exceed expectations.

Aw cool Skybound - 420 member Maritimer is working on Jasmonate in his journal
I started clones and let them go. Too ambitious for me and my 4x3. Anyhow, I'm not about control, I'm crazy for variety. I'll plow forward and tell someone about it. So many tastes to try.

I don't need to reinvent the wheel, I just want to see the cars go other way.
Like Nascar turning right. Slower yet, much more exciting.

Hey MAK1 jump in and try whatever flavor you like and tell us about right here. I understand and I’m not trying to squash anyone’s plans. The part about control plant is cornerstone of confirming a theory - if there is nothing to compare with then how do we know the flavor has been modified? The part about clones just puts us on level playing ground a true apples to apples comparison

But whatever you decide to do is cool by me and hey that citrus zest sounds really exciting

Hey MAK1 jump in and try whatever flavor you like and tell us about right here. I understand and I’m not trying to squash anyone’s plans. The part about control plant is cornerstone of confirming a theory - if there is nothing to compare with then how do we know the flavor has been modified? The part about clones just puts us on level playing ground a true apples to apples comparison

But whatever you decide to do is cool by me and hey that citrus zest sounds really exciting
I agree about the clones, it just doesn't work for my situation. Anyhow, I've smoked so much pot over the last 40 years I expect to notice something on the flavor. I got in with a group of foodies before there was the term for it. Just happen to have 4 different types of molasses in my cupboard, 6-8 cinnamon, 5-8 olive oils, black peppers, even 4 different salts. My point is I like compare flavors and then try to understand why? It floats my boat so to say.

Sure I understand on the clones, no worries at all. Oh wow then you have an advanced palate! You would be perfect for a taste tester - not to mention all the free samples coming your way. Funny how in Canada you can get your weed delivered in the mail and there no problems passing samples or clones

According to the U.S. National Library Of Medicine (2008) et.al.

"Nitrogen is quantitatively the most important nutrient that plants acquire from the soil. It is well established that plant roots take up nitrogen compounds of low molecular mass, including ammonium, nitrate, and amino acids. However, in the soil of natural ecosystems, nitrogen occurs predominantly as proteins. This complex organic form of nitrogen is considered to be not directly available to plants. We examined the long-held view that plants depend on specialized symbioses with fungi (mycorrhizas) to access soil protein and studied the woody heathland plant Hakea actites and the herbaceous model plant Arabidopsis thaliana, which do not form mycorrhizas. We show that both species can use protein as a nitrogen source for growth without assistance from other organisms. We identified two mechanisms by which roots access protein. Roots exude proteolytic enzymes that digest protein at the root surface and possibly in the apoplast of the root cortex. Intact protein also was taken up into root cells most likely via endocytosis. These findings change our view of the spectrum of nitrogen sources that plants can access and challenge the current paradigm that plants rely on microbes and soil fauna for the breakdown of organic matter."

I was thinking of your great cinnamon fiasco of '06.

Late into flower (7 weeks) I added cinnamon(s) to a "Bubba" that had no smell.
Ten days later I took a sample from an adjacent Tangerine.
Three days in paper bag then into a jar.
On day 5 in the jar the grassy smell is gone and there is this cookie smell that doesn't quite smell like pot.
It is too familiar, a cookie for sure. I don't bake much any more but that smell is like a sugar...no, a molasses no...
SNICKERDOODLES!
Cinnamon, Molasses, I grew snickerdoodles.
It is just barely smokeable still but every time I open that jar it smells like grandmas' cookie jar.
I am excited to see what will become of the Bubba that actually got dosed. 10 weeks and counting

Boom there it is - MAK1 with the throw down of intel….

Yippee yeah, I freaking love it. Honestly I didn’t know if science had detailed a mechanism or pathway for flavor to be uptaken by the plant but roger that - we have a big affirmative. Thanks for the citation!

soil air or water….. on a growing plant.

funny you mention but was cleaning a shed today and the first thing I saw was 3 half buried cinnamon sticks protruding from the soil of an old air pot

snickerdoodles sounds bad to the bone

According to the U.S. National Library Of Medicine (2008) et.al.

"Nitrogen is quantitatively the most important nutrient that plants acquire from the soil. It is well established that plant roots take up nitrogen compounds of low molecular mass, including ammonium, nitrate, and amino acids. However, in the soil of natural ecosystems, nitrogen occurs predominantly as proteins. This complex organic form of nitrogen is considered to be not directly available to plants. We examined the long-held view that plants depend on specialized symbioses with fungi (mycorrhizas) to access soil protein and studied the woody heathland plant Hakea actites and the herbaceous model plant Arabidopsis thaliana, which do not form mycorrhizas. We show that both species can use protein as a nitrogen source for growth without assistance from other organisms. We identified two mechanisms by which roots access protein. Roots exude proteolytic enzymes that digest protein at the root surface and possibly in the apoplast of the root cortex. Intact protein also was taken up into root cells most likely via endocytosis. These findings change our view of the spectrum of nitrogen sources that plants can access and challenge the current paradigm that plants rely on microbes and soil fauna for the breakdown of organic matter."
Did you know that lightning creates usable nitrogen for plants and the rain brings it down.

I'm stuck on where to turn next. The paradigm of CEC is great. I love feeding my plants minerals. Looking at the period table I/we need to consider focused attention on some much more than others to get a desired effect from our plants.

Feeding the soil microbes so they can do their job well is also important. I am a soil grower so, I am only familiar with dirt, OK. There is a whole bunch of stuff going on here with diol biology

Do plants take up flavors directly? Not exactly. My answer is complicated and any short answer is almost surly to be wrong.
Why didn't the pot smell like fish? Answer: The plant has no need to smell like fish but it will make use of the components. If the plant smelled of fish it would draw pests. Perhaps the microbes are better suited to a diet of fish.

I submit for your consideration the following:
Why didn't the plant smell like cinnamon? It does or may smell like components of cinnamon. Why? Cinnamon has it's own terpene profile and perhaps the flowers have an ability to make use of specific terpenes (or all of them) without (or with) modification or transmutation. That is to say something like "Terpenes Direct"

Can we add terpenes directly and change the outcome? Taste, color, smell, effect, even stability/shelflife.
Even a small timely permutation could generate a notable difference.
Billions and Billions of stars.
We don't need more stars. We need a starship to get us there.

yes soil grower here too….

No science in the answer only anecdotal info but on Forensic Files the other they described a case and how humans can only see like 16 shades of gray but a computer can determine between 256 shades. They used that tech to bust the bad guys

We are smokers and perhaps our olfactory senses are dulled , yes we can smell the piney, diesel, fruit based bouquet of cannabis but more subtle notes may be lost on us.

Not every scent modification will be discernible to us, it may require terpene testing of untreated clones versus flavor enhanced clones.

Some scent additives may not be in the proper range for plants to benefit from replicating the odor. You could be spot on that a plants defensive mechanisms could possibly give a hard pass on carrying fish odors in exchange for self preservation from insects or predation by mammals

True about stars and starships, go puff on a large hand rolled starship.

absolutely I would fully expect that terpenes shape the effects

1630159722623.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom