I'm not sure about that but I hope so. My fear is she will be added to the list of buds that never were.

One humongous bud you say? If it would be worth the effort, I would consider doing that but I've nursed sick ladies in the past only to regret it afterwards due to the very small harvest. Those efforts were a waste of time especially when I had the chance to cut my losses short and replant while I still had some growing season left.
Gotcha. Well, humongous is relative. Lol. She's not a big plant, so yeah, you're not exactly talking superstar yield.

Gotcha. Well, humongous is relative. Lol. She's not a big plant, so yeah, you're not exactly talking superstar yield.

just keep it on 18/6. If it is a photo, it has no choice but to reveg.
I will do that and keep my fingers crossed. I don't think I have much choice at this point Thank you for your help Emilya.

Any time you transplant it is important to saturate the new container, the goal being to merge the two soil regions. This will of course put a lot of water into that new container, and as you say, it should take some time for the plant to use that much water. The goal of transplanting is to make a larger plant, and indeed it is normal to see a very strong growth spurt shortly upon moving her to a larger space as the roots expand out to find the new limits to the environment.
Knowing that the roots will soon catch up, you can cheat a little bit on the first waterings after a large transplant. I did this exact thing in my current LSD log... I transplanted into 5 and 7 gallon containers from 3 quart containers. Knowing that it would take a week or longer to use all the water after the transplant and merging, I had to make sure to keep my original rootball teaming with living microlife... I could not let it totally dry out. 4 days into the transplant (bottom still wet) I watered with 1/2 gallon of water, spread out on the surface of the original rootball. 1/2 gallon wasn't enough to soak all the way down to the bottom and raise the water table, but it was enough to wet the top and the original rootball area. This was perfect, because then 4 days after that, the bottom had dried out... it took 8 day total on the 5 gallon containers and 9 on the 7 gallon... with your 15 gallon container I would figure on up to 2 weeks to totally dry out the first time, and then shave a few days off of that each wet/dry cycle for a couple of rounds until the system stabilizes at some number for the rest of the grow. While you are waiting for the roots to establish and assume a stabilized wet/dry cycle number, I would continue to water every 4-6 days with a smaller amount on the top, while waiting for the bottom to dry out for the big watering. Once your roots establish, or the wet/dry cycle gets to a point that the top could survive the period, then go back to the watering the entire container to saturation and then waiting for it to dry completely.
I think this might apply to my current situation but wanted to see what you think? I went from solo to 1 gallon 10 days ago. I've lightly watered the first couple of inches a couple of times (50 ml) during this time. I am relying on the sun so the plants do not get 18 hours per day and depending on the cloud canopy they've been getting as much as 12 hours per day and as little as just filtered sunlight. I'm weighing the plants to determine how much water is left in the soil but I'm not quite sure what percent of the initial amount of water needs to be used before they ladies get their first full watering? They're so excited! Also, is the full watering process similar to how you described for 3 gallon pots and above using a lesser amount than a quart at a time?

I think this might apply to my current situation but wanted to see what you think? I went from solo to 1 gallon 10 days ago. I've lightly watered the first couple of inches a couple of times (50 ml) during this time. I am relying on the sun so the plants do not get 18 hours per day and depending on the cloud canopy they've been getting as much as 12 hours per day and as little as just filtered sunlight. I'm weighing the plants to determine how much water is left in the soil but I'm not quite sure what percent of the initial amount of water needs to be used before they ladies get their first full watering? They're so excited! Also, is the full watering process similar to how you described for 3 gallon pots and above using a lesser amount than a quart at a time?
When transplanting, it is important to fully water the new larger container, so that you merge the two soil regions. Then typically it is a 7 - 10 wait for the plant to use all of that water, so inbetween, every 3-4 days we give a little bit of water around the edges and on the top. In sunlight, this process should go faster than it would inside, so keep a close watch on it. The soil migration techniques work well when you use a small watering can so you carefully put the water where you want it and to use just enough so the water starts pooling at the top.

if you didnt give that full watering when you transplanted, yes, give them a good watering now and start the wet/dry cycle over again. This first couple of waterings as the roots are just starting to expand out into the new container can be hurried a bit, just to keep things going strong. It is later, after this initial settling in, when it becomes more important to tease out the water, to force the plant to keep expanding the roots looking for water.

When transplanting, it is important to fully water the new larger container, so that you merge the two soil regions. Then typically it is a 7 - 10 wait for the plant to use all of that water, so inbetween, every 3-4 days we give a little bit of water around the edges and on the top. In sunlight, this process should go faster than it would inside, so keep a close watch on it. The soil migration techniques work well when you use a small watering can so you carefully put the water where you want it and to use just enough so the water starts pooling at the top.

if you didnt give that full watering when you transplanted, yes, give them a good watering now and start the wet/dry cycle over again. This first couple of waterings as the roots are just starting to expand out into the new container can be hurried a bit, just to keep things going strong. It is later, after this initial settling in, when it becomes more important to tease out the water, to force the plant to keep expanding the roots looking for water.
Many thanks Emilya. Your explanation has further showed me how it's done.

Yes, I did fully water the new larger container and the plants responded well after the transplant. A couple of items to point out now that you mentioned that the process should go faster in the sun. The plants are hardly using any water overnight and not as much as I would think during the day. When I weigh them in the morning, they've only used 1-2 ml and that's it. Is that normal? They were using more than that in the solo cups. The other thing is that when they've received a full 12 hours or so of sun on a particular day, they end up using less water than on a day when they've received no sun. That I don't understand as I would think it would be the opposite.

So it has been eleven days after the transplanting and the plants have used between 75% and 80% of their initial full watering. Would you say it's time for their first post-transplant full watering now? In the future, what percentage of water depletion should I use as my target to re-water the ladies? I've been reading and re-reading your posts and I apologize if you've already addressed that but I wasn't able to find that percentage number in what I've read.

Many thanks Emilya. Your explanation has further showed me how it's done.

Yes, I did fully water the new larger container and the plants responded well after the transplant. A couple of items to point out now that you mentioned that the process should go faster in the sun. The plants are hardly using any water overnight and not as much as I would think during the day. When I weigh them in the morning, they've only used 1-2 ml and that's it. Is that normal? They were using more than that in the solo cups. The other thing is that when they've received a full 12 hours or so of sun on a particular day, they end up using less water than on a day when they've received no sun. That I don't understand as I would think it would be the opposite.

So it has been eleven days after the transplanting and the plants have used between 75% and 80% of their initial full watering. Would you say it's time for their first post-transplant full watering now? In the future, what percentage of water depletion should I use as my target to re-water the ladies? I've been reading and re-reading your posts and I apologize if you've already addressed that but I wasn't able to find that percentage number in what I've read.
Yes, it sounds like it is time for that first full watering. Give them water to runoff and then lets see if this next cycle goes faster than 11 days. Be sure to give a small in-between watering around the outer edges every 3-4 days. Things will speed up soon.

Yes, it sounds like it is time for that first full watering. Give them water to runoff and then lets see if this next cycle goes faster than 11 days. Be sure to give a small in-between watering around the outer edges every 3-4 days. Things will speed up soon.
Good morning Miss Emilya. Thank you for replying so quickly and I will go ahead and water the ladies as you advise. In the future, should I use 80% as my target to re-water? I hope you have a glorious day. You're the best!

Yes, by weight, 75-80% is a good target... they are pretty dry by then
The ladies really appreciated their first full watering yesterday. They had some overnight growth and actually used some water during the night too. I will adjust my watering parameter to 75-80% depletion and use that going forward in the quest for the massive root ball. This technique is new to me and I appreciate all of your help.

That depends on the shape of the plant that I am going for. I either top at 5-6 or I chop at 2-3, depending on how much work I wish to do in training, or if I just want to take it easy and let the plant grow mostly naturally.

This plant is definitely in flower and not reverting... I am assuming you have it in 18/6 lighting and it is still doing this. Could it be that you have an auto here?
Emilya, do you do any other topping after you top at the 5th node and if so, at what point? I topped at the 5th node and I think that means I'll get two main colas but I would like to get 4 if possible. The 1st nodes are just about fully developed now.

Emilya, do you do any other topping after you top at the 5th node and if so, at what point? I topped at the 5th node and I think that means I'll get two main colas but I would like to get 4 if possible. The 1st nodes are just about fully developed now.
When topping at 4 or 5, I wait till the two new growth tips send up the second set of buds, and then I top them again on both sides. This gives 4 colas at the top. While this is happening the lower branches start to rise up to the top of the canopy too, and when 2, 3 and 4 rise up to canopy level, I top them too. My goal in a 4 or 5 topping is to end up with 10-16 colas, even though those first 4 at the top will always be your primaries.

When topping at 4 or 5, I wait till the two new growth tips send up the second set of buds, and then I top them again on both sides. This gives 4 colas at the top. While this is happening the lower branches start to rise up to the top of the canopy too, and when 2, 3 and 4 rise up to canopy level, I top them too. My goal in a 4 or 5 topping is to end up with 10-16 colas, even though those first 4 at the top will always be your primaries.
Thank you Emilya. I am looking at the growth that has developed after I topped it and it looks a little strange to me. This is the first plant I topped so I'm not sure what is what in respect to leaves and branches. If I post a pic, would you be able to circle or point out to me where to make this next cut so I don't end up adding to my list of things not to do? Also, about how long would you say it takes for the lower branches to rise up to the canopy level?

Thank you Emilya. I am looking at the growth that has developed after I topped it and it looks a little strange to me. This is the first plant I topped so I'm not sure what is what in respect to leaves and branches. If I post a pic, would you be able to circle or point out to me where to make this next cut so I don't end up adding to my list of things not to do? Also, about how long would you say it takes for the lower branches to rise up to the canopy level?
You should be seeing additional activity all over the plant and dramatic nightly growth of the lower nodes, already... even the next day after the cut. It won't take very long before the first ones reach up to where you can see they are going to achieve canopy height, but it depends on lots of things which ones will be first. I have seen #1 and #2 branches rise up before #3's nodes do... just be patient and watch it happen. You also dont want the original cut's now two colas to get too tall before they are topped again, or you will end up with a tall stretchy plant.
Do you have a grow journal yet? If not, lets have you start one so we can carry on this extended conversation there and I can follow it all through this process. I would be happy to review the pictures you post over there.

I just remembered an easy way to explain what is going on here. Dominance. When you had one cola, it was dominant. When you topped it, because they were at the top of the plant, you then have two dominant nodes, but they are stunned and in repair. This allows the dominance to shift, and every node below the former "top" immediately seeks to achieve dominance. When the next two reach the point of dominance, a quick snip, and they go into repair so that the next lower can keep climbing toward the top. Always keep a keen eye out for who has dominance at that moment, and could the shape of the plant use a little trim in that area, or do you wish to let it ride. You just got to do this once to see what I mean. I have several journals where I refer to this multi chop method of training... look up my key words whack-a-mole training method. When really going to town with this, I end up with 30 to 50 colas on the plant, with 3 or 4 of them dominant.

You should be seeing additional activity all over the plant and dramatic nightly growth of the lower nodes, already... even the next day after the cut. It won't take very long before the first ones reach up to where you can see they are going to achieve canopy height, but it depends on lots of things which ones will be first. I have seen #1 and #2 branches rise up before #3's nodes do... just be patient and watch it happen. You also dont want the original cut's now two colas to get too tall before they are topped again, or you will end up with a tall stretchy plant.
Do you have a grow journal yet? If not, lets have you start one so we can carry on this extended conversation there and I can follow it all through this process. I would be happy to review the pictures you post over there.
I need to digest this information Emilya and will reply back a little later today. Thank you very much for posting it.

In regard to the grow journal, I am not able to construct one as I'm not at "privileged" status yet. (Do you by chance know when I'll move up to that esteemed level?) I'm greeted with the message: "You have insufficient privileges to post threads here."

I need to digest this information Emilya and will reply back a little later today. Thank you very much for posting it.

In regard to the grow journal, I am not able to construct one as I'm not at "privileged" status yet. (Do you by chance know when I'll move up to that esteemed level?) I'm greeted with the message: "You have insufficient privileges to post threads here."
you must not be in the right section. You should try to start a journal in Journals in Progress.
1639752086291.png

you must not be in the right section. You should try to start a journal in Journals in Progress.
1639752086291.png
Greetings Emilya. Hope you're having a good day.

Yes, I was in the wrong section and thank you for showing me that.

Please let me explain my situation regarding my grow. I remember reading your post about doubling the yield with the first topping cut and that intrigued me since I would like to harvest more quantity but I'm not interested in massive quantity. I would like to increase my yield somewhat but not a whole lot because I don't consume much. I would like to be able to harvest enough to last me a year or so and that is why I posted that I would like to be able to have 4 main colas as I believe that would result in a yield more aligned with my needs. Ideally, I would be very satisfied with a dry yield of 2 to 3 ounces. With that in mind, I don't think an aggressive training method that requires more effort on my part is for me because the goal of a higher yield is not what I need so the incentive to do the work would not be there. I'm a pretty busy person and the amount of time I can devote to my plants is limited.

So with that being said, I topped the plant and now I am trying to decide if I should do another cut or keep it the way it is. I wish there was a chart of some type that shows the increase in yield from the first cut and all subsequent cuts if that is actually relevant.

Is it your understanding that each cut results in a doubling of yield? For some reason that is my understanding but I'm not sure if I am correct. I guess what I'm saying is I only want to cut as much as I need to cut to achieve my dry yield goal of 2 to 3 ounces. My computer time is limited so I can only read and absorb so much from this site although I could certainly learn more if I had more time. After looking at the recommended information to post a journal and the time necessary to keep it maintained, I'm not sure I can commit to that. I will start one and post a picture if that is what it will take to have you see what the plant looks like and where my potential next cut should be. I'm a little reluctant to start something that I don't think I can finish but I will if I have to. Otherwise, I can just post a pic here and you can give it a quick look to see what you think.

Your thoughts please when you have some time.

Greetings Emilya. Hope you're having a good day.

Yes, I was in the wrong section and thank you for showing me that.

Please let me explain my situation regarding my grow. I remember reading your post about doubling the yield with the first topping cut and that intrigued me since I would like to harvest more quantity but I'm not interested in massive quantity. I would like to increase my yield somewhat but not a whole lot because I don't consume much. I would like to be able to harvest enough to last me a year or so and that is why I posted that I would like to be able to have 4 main colas as I believe that would result in a yield more aligned with my needs. Ideally, I would be very satisfied with a dry yield of 2 to 3 ounces. With that in mind, I don't think an aggressive training method that requires more effort on my part is for me because the goal of a higher yield is not what I need so the incentive to do the work would not be there. I'm a pretty busy person and the amount of time I can devote to my plants is limited.

So with that being said, I topped the plant and now I am trying to decide if I should do another cut or keep it the way it is. I wish there was a chart of some type that shows the increase in yield from the first cut and all subsequent cuts if that is actually relevant.

Is it your understanding that each cut results in a doubling of yield? For some reason that is my understanding but I'm not sure if I am correct. I guess what I'm saying is I only want to cut as much as I need to cut to achieve my dry yield goal of 2 to 3 ounces. My computer time is limited so I can only read and absorb so much from this site although I could certainly learn more if I had more time. After looking at the recommended information to post a journal and the time necessary to keep it maintained, I'm not sure I can commit to that. I will start one and post a picture if that is what it will take to have you see what the plant looks like and where my potential next cut should be. I'm a little reluctant to start something that I don't think I can finish but I will if I have to. Otherwise, I can just post a pic here and you can give it a quick look to see what you think.

Your thoughts please when you have some time.
no, each cut does not double overall yield, just yield on that branch. The only time you double your yield is with that first cut. After topping, you will get two very aggressive main colas. It is perfectly fine to go to bloom with just that cut, and it is my experience that this will result in a very tall plant. Even two more cuts, topping each of those top nodes when they push up the second set of nodes really helps with that, and tames the plant somewhat. At any point you can stop training and allow the plant to go to bloom.

There are no charts showing yield after cuts, because every garden is different. The yield that I can get with my experience will be different than what you will get, and there really is no standard.

The actual adage is that for every week of extended veg, after the the 5th week of veg, you double your yield. Yield also has a lot to do with the size of your final container, and for your goal of 2-3 oz, I would recommend at least a 5gal final container.

But does that first cut really double your yield in terms of weight, or is it more about now two colas, each at roughly half the size of the single main one?

A given pot size is going to max out at a certain yield, whether it is concentrated in a single large bud with a bunch of smaller ones lower down, or with topping and training, help with height and spreading a given amount of hormones around to several other buds rather than being concentrated in a single bud.

More veg time and up-potting to larger pots gives you a larger plant and therefore certainly more weight in terms of yield, but I've always thought training a plant in your final pot size was more about space management and ending up with a bunch of similar sized colas rather than one dominant cola and a bunch of larf.

Back
Top Bottom