The Quadsquad Thread: A Community For Quadlining

You train the four remaining limbs to the side of your pot while using the internodes to fill in any spaces. I like to remove the pairs of nodes on each branch that grow both up and down since the top ones will want to take dominance and the lowers grow funky twisting around the stem to grow up. The idea of the quad is to get balanced growth all around.

Once they reach the pot edge you let them grow up until they get to the max height to your lights that you can afford keeping the stretch after flip in mind.

It's a nice, easy traing approach that gives you a really nicely shaped plant in the end with lots of nodes with limited effort.
Thanks Azi

I’m gonna give it a red hot go lol

I'm hearing more and more reports of stems splitting with sometimes aggressive LST holding down the branches with ties or wires. It seems the splits often happen right where one of the four main branches connects to the main stem and often later on after some substantial growth you'd rather not lose.

So I thought I'd share what I do with my quads to avoid the issue.

When making the initial bends to start the training, instead of pulling out and down on the branch and then restraining it with ties, carhooks, weights, etc., what I do is supercrop the four main stems an inch or so out from the trunk and then gently weight the branch so it keeps the bend.

A knuckle will form there strengthening that part of the branch and most of the resistant stress from forcing a redirection of the branch will be centered here rather than back at the main trunk.

The rest of the restraints can go just like you normally do them, but by shifting the main stress point on each of the four main branches out a small amount from the trunk, there tends to be less stress and therefore chances to split since you're no longer pulling the limb away from the trunk to set the direction and plane.

The main stress on the limbs is now mostly vertical rather than pulling out and down which happens when pulling down on the limb directly from the stem.

I'm hearing more and more reports of stems splitting with sometimes aggressive LST holding down the branches with ties or wires. It seems the splits often happen right where one of the four main branches connects to the main stem and often later on after some substantial growth you'd rather not lose.

When making the initial bends to start the training, instead of pulling out and down on the branch and then restraining it with ties, carhooks, weights, etc., what I do is supercrop the four main stems an inch or so out from the trunk and then gently weight the branch so it keeps the bend.

A knuckle will form there strengthening that part of the branch and most of the resistant stress from forcing a redirection of the branch will be centered here rather than back at the main trunk.

The rest of the restraints can go just like you normally do them, but by shifting the main stress point on each of the four main branches out a small amount from the trunk, there tends to be less stress and therefore chances to split since you're no longer pulling the limb away from the trunk to set the direction and plane.

The main stress on the limbs is now mostly vertical rather than pulling out and down which happens when pulling down on the limb directly from the stem.
That’s brilliant. Adds some time to the grow I guess? How much time does it take to establish those knuckles? I have not had this issue but have many times thought I was going to or was on the raw edge of that happening. And I don’t really “quad” per se, certainly not by strict definition. But if you’re going to pull branches horizontally it’s a potential issue especially if you’re aggressive as I tend to be. I could easily adapt this idea to what I do. Very nice @Azimuth - and when might we ever actually get to see all this stuff you know? Lol!! Heh.

That’s brilliant. Adds some time to the grow I guess? How much time does it take to establish those knuckles? I have not had this issue but have many times thought I was going to or was on the raw edge of that happening. And I don’t really “quad” per se, certainly not by strict definition. But if you’re going to pull branches horizontally it’s a potential issue especially if you’re aggressive as I tend to be. I could easily adapt this idea to what I do. Very nice @Azimuth - and when might we ever actually get to see all this stuff you know? Lol!! Heh.
The supercropping will slow those branches some while they repair, but it's done so early in the grow it doesn't matter all that much, and it's much less disruptive than a split off branch and trying to reconnect it with bailing wire and bubble gum, then waiting/ hoping for the repair to take.

And there are pictures all over the net to satisfy your curiosity. Why, Shed has a great thread Here if you want some visuals. ;)

Science bless you and your garden.

Also, since those branches are small and thin, and the risk of breaking them is much higher than with older, tougher stems, to supercrop them I use a round object like a pen or pen cap to press the stem against and partially around.

I've broken too many stems using the "work it between your fingers" technique.

Yes. Make the plant focus its energy on 4 shoots and 4 shoots only.

In my opinion. No. After shaving the legs, it will be in auto pilot. However, I have only grown photos. Do with that what you will.

Back
Top Bottom