thinking of flowering earlier Than expected opinions

I hear you on the humidity issue. I finally just today found and ordered a dehumidifier which I am very very much looking forward to because my buds are probably going to be in critical danger soon.

Yes definitely I would trim the undergrowth. Sometimes I 'lollipop' them - which means basically means taking all the growth off that is below the top four or five nodes. This can be done in veg to save a bit of stress and a lot of work- but now is a great time to do it if you are going to as well, and is usually the time I go in and clean it up. After the stretch but just before they start putting on a lot of bud weight. The extreme way is just to start from the fourth or fifth node (or wherever you think is a good starting point based on what is receiving good lighting and isn't shaded) and run your hand down the stem stripping everything off as you go. I actually haven't really done it that way- I usually use scissors or just pinch everything off.

There's a ton of undergrowth. Maybe having the cfls under there has been counterproductive in that way, I'm not sure. But I would certainly do a bunch of clearing out. It's quite a bit of work and it may slow the plants slightly- but I don't think it's a good idea to leave them that congested- and you won't get any worthwhile bud down there anyway.
If you want some more expert opinions on it start a thread and you'll get wiser people than me giving you some answers- or there are probably plenty of threads out there for the searching.

Get a 40x (or higher) pocket microscope to look at the trichomes with. Yes a lot of my plants do take 10-12 weeks. The ones that are 'supposed to' take 8 weeks take about 10. To me yours look like they are about a third of the way through flowering, counting the entire time to harvest, because the last couple weeks of flushing, for me anyway, seems to go quite slowly, without a lot of bud size development other than a ripening process and increased stickiness. It's not something I like to rush, and the times I've harvested early I have always regretted it, as I trimmed buds that were obviously not ready yet, in spite of my attempts at denial.
However- your plants do look at least a week further along than any of my plants would look at 23 days, so maybe you're right and hydro is faster.

Also- in hydro you don't have to flush as long I think (?). Is Florakleen similar to Clearex I believe? That will speed up the process
This is another area I don't feel super expert in and am always fiddling around with trying to figure out what time to begin flushing. But generally speaking, I start flushing when the trichomes are 100% cloudy ( I stop feeding only at that point) , and I use Clearex- which claims it can do the job in 3 days. I wait at least a week but sometimes 2, and just do it by the appearance of the plant- when the leaves turn nice and yellow and the buds get very white and extremely sticky and ripe looking. If there is much sign of green in the leaves and lack of 'ripeness' in the buds I continue to use plain water and sometimes flush more, till they get to the look I want.
I hope this helps. I might add a little bit more in a while I'm running out of time with something here. Plants look awesome though.:thumb:

Ok cool cool I went straight up and trimmed a lot of the very low and weak bud sites. Also killing the under lighting. Now that the buds have stretched I can side light again. Thanks as always for the timeless advice bro. Hey how do I give you rep? Lemme know I'll hook it up. I'll add more pics in the next couple days. Hoping they don't hermie on me I cut a lot off. But all should go well. Til next time thanks again and keep or green and fresh

Hey one quick question, do these lower node and small bud sites I removed have any value as say cooking at this point or not enough thc? Very premature buds. Also can I clone budding plants and actually get roots?

To give someone reps you hit the star near the bottom left hand corner of the post area. Here- I just gave you some reps :) Just to the right of the star is an exclamation mark in a triangle which is used to flag posts if you see a problem to report or just want to attract a moderator for some other reason.

Yes there is some thc in those little buds. Probably the most effective way would be to blend it all up in a smoothie and drink. You could try to make hash but you won't get much.
You can clone flowering plants but there is a lower rate of rooting and and it takes longer. Definitely can be done though. Do a search on cloning a flowering plant. Revegging is also easy if all else fails.

It would seem like mold layer in the grow is your greatest danger at this point. I'm hoping my dehundifier will save the day because my grow has been borderline for years. It's generally been ok but this time around I have a lot of densely packed buds in scrog form and I don't think they'll be on the right side of borderline.
Have you thought about putting this thread in journal form? You can flag a post and ask the more to move it over to a journal for you.

Well, after a day of trimming, the buds are clearly still growing. I took a lot off but I don't feel like I hurt them. Pics to follow. Also on the pics you'll notice I kept some side and under lighting on the side where I have better growth. The plants seem to enjoy having that space and with those lower buds still gaining mass, I figured I'd experiment with lighting down there still and removing the other side where things were really crowded. Let me know how the humidifier works out. I need one. This has helped my RH by trimming but still 60 percent average I'd say. I wish I had done this as a journal, would've made more sense

20150521_205352.jpg
20150521_205345.jpg
20150521_205335.jpg
20150521_205330.jpg
20150521_205318.jpg
20150521_205310.jpg
20150521_205300.jpg

That looks good.:thumb: Looks like you removed all those little internal buds at the nodes which is what I like to do.
I think I meant to say mold danger or something and it got autocorrected to 'mold layer' lol. Hopefully there will never be a mold layer.
Yes movement fans and plenty of air circulation can be enough if 60% RH is as bad as it gets. Its the biggest buds that get hit- and at the time when they get the fattest. I'm in the 80s regularly and still get by. I'll let you know how the dehum is working out. I managed to find one that is about 300 watts and has auto restart in case of a power outage, meaning I can put it on a timer for the dark cycle.

Ok so I feel a lot better about the 60 percent RH lol. A lot of my equipment auto restart after an outage, it actually hurts me because of the start up draw tripping breakers but that's just my fault with the overloaded circuits. I didn't go into removing the little random nodes as much as I removed a lot of entire limbs. I imagine it was shocking for the plant, but with the fight for light a losing one down there I think it'll figure out where to focus it's energy better now. Shouldn't done that day 1 of flowering. But you live you learn. My next question is what to do with the nodes that I did remove. I had removed them all from their branches and have them laid out in a vented space on a tray. I think I'm gonna grind them up and maybe make butter? I probably have a quarter pound of these trimmings wet, even with the weakened state of the thc, like you said there's some. I thought about the smoothie, I may still just do that. My girl wants one. Well I'm off for tonight, I'll have some updated pics posted on Sunday when I dump, hopefully they're even bigger by then. Have A Good Night Bro

Back
Top Bottom