To cut or not to cut? The old dilemma

Sir3

420 Member
Hello,

I guess you get asked this question alot. But l need some advice. A week ago l had mostly clear tricomes. Today, l checked again and the buds in the middle of the plant have alot of Amber. The bigger buds have like 5-10% max. According to my schedule l should.d have another week or two. I didn't flush. Notes were fed yesterday. What is your opinion? Should l cut it now or wait, flush tomorrow, wait another 3 4 days and after that, 24 hours of darkness before cutting?
I am looking for a more energetic high.
The flash kinda masks some of the white pistils
DSC00782.JPG
DSC00784.JPG
DSC00781.JPG

DSC00783.JPG

Do you have trichomes and pistols confused? Hard to see, but it looks like you have a mix of white and gold colored pistols. Not ready yet! These girls have weeks to go! When I chop, I always have like 98% gold dried pistols. I also check status of trichomes with a small 60x microscope.

So about 2 weeks have passed. The hairs(pistils) seem to be mostly brown. Should these retreat more? The buds seem to have swollen up. The tricomes didn't turn Amber. Just the ones from 2 weeks ago. I flushed 3 days ago. Should l wait for some more amber trics? Should l feed it a bit and wait a bit more?
Thank you

DSC00786.JPG

DSC00787.JPG

So about 2 weeks have passed. The hairs(pistils) seem to be mostly brown. Should these retreat more? The buds seem to have swollen up. The tricomes didn't turn Amber. Just the ones from 2 weeks ago. I flushed 3 days ago. Should l wait for some more amber trics? Should l feed it a bit and wait a bit more?
Thank you

DSC00786.JPG

DSC00787.JPG
Hey @Sir3 hope you are well my friend.
Beautiful garden.
Nice work.
You have a couple weeks left.
Keep feeding till you chop.
Wait until all the white hairs are red and crinkled in.
Then you check tric's
Clear / cloudy more energetic feeling.
Cloudy / amber relaxed feeling.
Order a scope or something you will need it. :Namaste:

Stay safe
Bill

Thank you! I have a 50x jewelers loupe. I will continue to check then. I am aiming for the energetic high but l am not sure how the pistils and calyxes should look
Good morning Sir3.
Just keep an eye on the pistols.
Whan all the white ones are gone she is finished flowering and building for you.
Then it's time to check trics.
You will want more clear cloudy ones.
So immediately after pistols are red would be good.
Just keep posting pics of her every couple days and we will help you decide.

Stay safe
Bill

Hello again!
As an update, she started to smell. Fewer and fewer new pistils. The tricomes started to turn from clear to milky. Not to many amber except the ones from 2-3 weeks ago. I have no idea what made then turn to amber then. I should water her tomorrow if she is not ready.
What do you think? She needs more time?

DSC00798.JPG

DSC00796.JPG

DSC00799.JPG

DSC00795.JPG

Hello again!
As an update, she started to smell. Fewer and fewer new pistils. The tricomes started to turn from clear to milky. Not to many amber except the ones from 2-3 weeks ago. I have no idea what made then turn to amber then. I should water her tomorrow if she is not ready.
What do you think? She needs more time?

DSC00798.JPG

DSC00796.JPG

DSC00799.JPG

DSC00795.JPG
She is almost done... wait for those colored pistils to pull back into the bud. Its only when the amber trichomes take a majority at the very top, like 30% amber and the rest cloudy, that its starts getting so powerful that it becomes couch lock. It is said that 2% amber on the very tip top of the tallest bud, is the perfect time to go to darkness for 36 hours and then chop. The amber keeps developing all of that time and even into the drying phase, and by the time you smoke it you should have around 10% mature (amber) trichomes. Pulling pot too early produces a quick head type high, but it also tends to give me a headache.

You should take a couple of samples of where it is now, and dry them properly and cure them for a week or two. See how that hits you. In another week and at final harvest, keep those separate too into cure and then you be able to sample just how ripe you personally like it best. Each strain is different, so you may have to try that test again if you intend on running several seasons of the same variety.

Could you help me with a picture please @Emilya ? I would like to know your view on how the pistils should look. Thank you very much
As others are saying, this is a very personal judgement... it depends entirely on what YOU like best. Being patient at the end is one of the hardest things we do in growing this weed, but it is also one of the most critical decisions we have to make... when to pull. When my product is considered (by me) to be ripe and ready to pull, the pistils have all turned color (with 99% of the varieties) and have pulled back close to the bud...ie, nothing is sticking out and the pistils almost look to be glued to the bud itself. My eyes are very sensitive to color change, and I can usually tell just walking into the room if the trichomes are turning amber, the plant will physically and noticeably darken. I confirm it with a loupe or a microscope, and then I start the harvesting process.

1644517435788.png

Could you help me with a picture please @Emilya ? I would like to know your view on how the pistils should look. Thank you very much

Here's another, almost all brown pistils (the few white ones have brown tips), mix of milky/amber trichomes:

IMG_2070.JPG

Yes, at the top of the main buds l started to see some amber yesterday morning(only at the top/tip of the buds a few. Like you said, 2%). I gave her one more day with the lights on. I hope it will turn ok. I will check your grows so l can learn.

Thank you for your help. Now the drying/curing part... l will leave the buds at around 20C and 45% humidity for 7 to 10 days and then place them into jars. I hope it is ok

If you have a drying/curing link l could follow, that would be great. There are so many out there, IDK what to choose

Back
Top Bottom