To top or not to top

What do you consider a decent haul?
Pound for a 5x3 space of AUTOs (10-20 plants). 1/2 pound a plant for PHOTO. I don't always get that but thats my high bar. Can fit 4 plants in a 5x5 space. That gets me past the gm/watt thing.

I dont always get it. That is my goal for yield.

THE goal for me is top quality and sustainability.

Then there's outdoor. Whole different thing. And much longer grow time.
5-6 months better be getting a haul, right? Thats like 95% labor.

Trimming becomes THE challenge.

@Carcass wood you say you're the exception or the rule??

Looks good bro just a different style of farming.

I like the hands off approach. Keepin it simple.

I'm in organic soil. My VEG times are 30ish days and can get flowering down into the mid 40s days with the right genetics. So 75ish days seed to chops and repeat. Thats as good as any auto but the plants are 3-4 times the size and the fire is high!

Didn't mean to get your goat there on the runt thing, Sorry, my bad! :green_heart:

It was 12 days old, I topped above node#3
as soon as there was enough node #4 to cut off,I cut it off....
Yes, topped only once, then quadlined.
Thanks for the info and the link , great thread

@Carcass wood you say you're the exception or the rule??
Probably the exception, Bob- most folks have more headspace than I do- If I can't keep them "runty", I'm in trouble!
Didn't mean to get your goat there on the runt thing, Sorry, my bad!
No worries! One mans runt is another mans "just right" ;)

Topped and turned out OK.
DD42E201-4909-4524-BB9E-6ACE64FA2F1E.jpeg
Green Crack Auto
OMG that is just gorgeous, I am going to try my first Auto grow very soon and just hope I turn something out like U just did. I just harvested my first Photo, she was topped early and I tried my first LST, and here she is with 60 plus buds sites, I will always top my photos from here on! Pretty work grow friend! BTW what size pot is that?
Topped and turned out OK.
DD42E201-4909-4524-BB9E-6ACE64FA2F1E.jpeg
Green Crack Auto

Dawn 2-26-21.JPG

OMG that is just gorgeous, I am going to try my first Auto grow very soon and just hope I turn something out like U just did. I just harvested my first Photo, she was topped early and I tried my first LST, and here she is with 60 plus buds sites, I will always top my photos from here on! Pretty work grow friend! BTW what size pot is that?

Dawn 2-26-21.JPG
Very nice!

I’m in 3g pots but may go to 5g soon.

Since my grow box is 2'X4", I was leaning towards getting some 2 gallon soft pots so I can get 6 or 8 "Autos" in there, do u think that size is too small?
It'll be more work with smaller pots, I have used smaller pots to get more plants into a space. What I found was plants outgrew pots and space they were in. Its doable just requires more work. I prefer to use 5 gal or bigger in flower, bigger rootball and bigger buds.

It'll be more work with smaller pots, I have used smaller pots to get more plants into a space. What I found was plants outgrew pots and space they were in. Its doable just requires more work. I prefer to use 5 gal or bigger in flower, bigger rootball and bigger buds.
Thanks as always "Bill284"... I may just settled on 3 gallons with less plants and keep my fingers crossed!

Thanks as always "Bill284"... I may just settled on 3 gallons with less plants and keep my fingers crossed!
I don't run autos so I can't comment on the optimum size to grow them in.
There is alot of info here from people who get over 6 zips from AN AUTO. There is debate on whether flowering starts when roots fill the pot ,so size of pot is more important with autos. Have you had a chance to read any journals on autos? Lots of great info from the great members here.

67BD7EBB-143C-41F2-9FB4-93BEF4723E7E.jpeg

This is my purple haze auto it’s just grown to 6 nodes I believe and can’t decide if I should top or not ? Been reading up and lots say autos shouldn’t be topped as it stunts growth so not sure what to do?

3071FDFD-39B5-44A8-93ED-FF7D3A45FC30.jpeg

This is a recent pic of purple haze auto that I topped 2 days ago

0E14B00B-E4EA-4362-A346-26BC3473D043.jpeg

This is also purple haze auto same age not topped , I think this one looks healthier than topped one but not as much growth ?

3071FDFD-39B5-44A8-93ED-FF7D3A45FC30.jpeg

This is a recent pic of purple haze auto that I topped 2 days ago
I’m not happy with the fan leaves o. This appear to be a little close together? Also colour too dark?

Topped Feb 23 first pic
Plant today second pic left side

IMG_20210223_161922745.jpg

IMG_20210301_062034009_HDR.jpg
They look awesome to me, I am hoping to try two strains, Blueberry and Tangerine Dream "autos' in a couple weeks. I may try topping one of each just for the experience. What is your grow medium?Have u grown autos before, if so how wide and tall do they get, and what size pots are those? My grow box is 2'X4', and I'm hoping to get 6 in there if I can use 2 gallons soft pots! Thanks for your time here friend!

They look awesome to me, I am hoping to try two strains, Blueberry and Tangerine Dream "autos' in a couple weeks. I may try topping one of each just for the experience. What is your grow medium?Have u grown autos before, if so how wide and tall do they get, and what size pots are those? My grow box is 2'X4', and I'm hoping to get 6 in there if I can use 2 gallons soft pots! Thanks for your time here friend!
Ffhf and ffof mixed. I've grown about 5 autos total and have 6 going atm. Have killed over 10 by newbness. The 2 bigger are in 5g pots 4 others in 3. Size matters apparently with autos. Size varies greatly. I've grown a 1' auto and a 4.5' auto (my avatar).

Back
Top Bottom