Too Tall

Wildbilly

420 Member
My plants are starting to grow taller than my fence and I want to avoid neighbors see them. Should I "top" them or is there another way to accomplish the task?

The plants on the left and right are Purple Africans; the one in the middle is Cheetah Piss.

Appreciate all comments!

Thanks!

IMG_6395.jpeg

I usually bend my limbs against and partially around a thin round object since using my fingers has lead to more split branches than I like to remember. My plants are small so I use a pen or pen cap, but for bigger stalks a narrow piece of pipe would work well.

Gently pinch the mainstem were you want it to bend at that point and leave at about 90 degree angle don't snap it off pinch then bend only. Do not cut those main stems that's your weight leave those tops and bend only.
Like this.
Gently pinch the mainstem were you want it to bend at that point and leave at about 90 degree angle don't snap it off pinch then bend only. Do not cut those main stems that's your weight leave those tops and bend only.
Like this.
Thank you Bean Town Fan! Great info!!!

I usually bend my limbs against and partially around a thin round object since using my fingers has lead to more split branches than I like to remember. My plants are small so I use a pen or pen cap, but for bigger stalks a narrow piece of pipe would work well.
Thank you Azimuth! This is only my 2nd grow and didn't know what Super Cropping was. I'll be giving it a go early in the morning tomorrow. Too hot here in Nor Cal right now

My plants are starting to grow taller than my fence and I want to avoid neighbors see them. Should I "top" them or is there another way to accomplish the task?

The plants on the left and right are Purple Africans; the one in the middle is Cheetah Piss.

Appreciate all comments!

Thanks!

IMG_6395.jpeg
Last year I got above the fence a bit.
IMG_6953.jpeg

This year I’ve been bending. If the stalk is damaged you can seal it with duct tape.
IMG_7193.jpeg
IMG_7192.jpeg
IMG_7190.jpeg
IMG_7189.jpeg

Thank you Azimuth! This is only my 2nd grow and didn't know what Super Cropping was. I'll be giving it a go early in the morning tomorrow. Too hot here in Nor Cal right now
I do this as I grow in a tent that's less than six feet tall. I reduce the height of the plant by a third.

@Wildbilly you are correct. No flowers yet. I’m in Sonoma County and my trainwreck has been in flower since end of June and gelato is flowering like crazy. First pic is trainwreck 2nd is gelato. Gelato is set to finish Oct. 4–not sure when trainwreck will finish as this is the first time growing it.
IMG_7198.jpeg
IMG_7199.jpeg

Bay Area...I don't see any flowers but since this is only my 2nd grow I may not know if they are showing or not. I've attached some pics...maybe you can tell
I see them starting, it is early in the game.

The first thing I look at are the way each growing tip starts to thicken up, get denser, or clump together. It is a bit hard to describe but in the very tops of the growing tips the distance between those new nodes will look like it is about to disappear. And, "the stretch" will be starting soon and everything lines up for full blown flowering. There is more going on in the first 3 weeks of flowering than we realize.

Anyway, I can see the changes taking place in the growing tips and there are a few stigma/pistils hidden in there. Few more days and a lot more of those stigma showing.

I grabbed a couple of your photos, did a quick crop to help zoom on the pistils/stigma I noticed and circled in red. Good job.

The first photo I attached is from your last photo. The second one is from your first photo.

IMG_6406 2-3a.jpeg

IMG_6402-1a.jpeg

The first thing I look at are the way each growing tip starts to thicken up, get denser, or clump together. It is a bit hard to describe but in the very tops of the growing tips the distance between those new nodes will look like it is about to disappear. And, "the stretch" will be starting soon and everything lines up for full blown flowering. There is more going on in the first 3 weeks of flowering than we realize.

Anyway, I can see the changes taking place in the growing tips and there are a few stigma/pistils hidden in there. Few more days and a lot more of those stigma showing.

I grabbed a couple of your photos, did a quick crop to help zoom on the pistils/stigma I noticed and circled in red. Good job.

The first photo I attached is from your last photo. The second one is from your first photo.

IMG_6406 2-3a.jpeg

IMG_6402-1a.jpeg

IMG_6406 2-3a.jpeg

IMG_6402-1a.jpeg
Thank you Smoking Wings! I'll know what to look for going forward. I guess its ok to continue "super cropping" at this stage??

Since you haven't started flower, you haven't started the stretch. Whether you tie down or crop, make sure you go low enough for continued growth. You can wrap coat hanger wire with medical tape then secure that to the branch with more tape where you plan to bend. It will help support the branch. Topping will turn our laterals into main colas. Both methods take a week or two to recover.

Back
Top Bottom