Topping versus Fimming

Ripples

I have 10 plants going (chronic) and I'm trying to figure out what works best, top'n or fim'n... I split the plants and topped 5, fimmed the others and I'm getting mixed results. Any opinions or advice as to which is better or easier to maintain... How often or how many times should you do this? Still learning and value the suggestion and help I get from all of my fellow growers! The girls are looking great, I think?
2015-01-10_10_28_30.jpg

Re: Top'n vs. Fim'n

I only top,:cheesygrinsmiley:

I find it easier to predict where is going/what it will do,I top every 4th node
fimming gets to many to close together for my taste,
what will you do with this??? scrogg?caveman natural style??
get some string and pipe cleaners start spreading her out

she is green and healthy

this is what topping will do for you, this is one plant,under scrog

DSC076042.JPG

I prefer "tipping" tbh no scissors,walk in and grab the tops push over with thumb and done,no surgery required

Fim gets too many branches close together, which is a real problem when plant gets big. I did it to 4th node and then fim'd the ends. Now the ends are clustered and can't get light evenly.

Seems unanimous topping is the way to go. I tend to agree with everyone's remarks on fim'n, the growth is unpredictable and very close. I'm sure it has it's place but for an inexperienced grower like myself I think topping is the way to go. As far as LST I'm having a problem. There is not enough distance between nodes to really separate properly. When trying it just pulls the whole plant to one side! Should I allow more growth then force apart? If you need more photos to give advice let me know and I will try to capture more closely. Thanks for the help, EVERYONE!!! You guys are the best source of help you can ask for...

Made another attempt to LST. Managed to accomplish most of what I wanted to do. Not sure this design will work or is it to damaging to the plants? Will purchase soft tee wraps asap. Will this work till then? Do you leave the wraps there or remove periodically as you go? Wanted to scrog but I think I have too many plants to do so. Not enough room in tent. May let a friend take a few off my hands but still not enough room to scrog correctly. Definitely want to give it a shot next grow. Need to get through this one first. Any suggestion for watering while on a 11 day vacation? Can have my friend help out but would rather not. He has his own grow going and lives cross town. He offered to help just incase. We have been friends for 40 years so I'm good with him!

I like FIM but think I agree with the rest who say it's unpredictable and grows the branches to close. I did a late FIM before I flipped my SCROG and most of those ones will be chopped. I would have been better off to top those ones.... live and learn. It worked good early on though.

Back
Top Bottom