Totally Indoor Grow 1st Time!

100w is probably close to what it actually draws for power from the socket while the 1000w is what it's supposedly equivalent to with a HPS or CMH light.

Sorry I over explained and then overlooked the marketing that confuses everyone at first. But your question made me realize another technical part I didn't explain well. You are not growing in an enclosed area. Without walls you are not bouncing light back in towards the plant controlling light scatter so your light will have to be a bit closer.

The per foot is based on the light fixture footprint, not the plant size. For example, if your light is 2 foot long by 1 foot wide and uses 100wats. At the surface of the light you are at 50wats per square foot. Light travels out in a cone shape. So if you were to hang that light 1 foot above a table, the light footprint (pattern) would be, let's say, 6 inches wider than the fixture. So now you have 3 feet long by 2 feet wide or 6 square feet of coverage. 100 wats divided by 6 square feet = roughly 16.5 wats per square foot. But that same 2 foot by 1 foot light mounted on top of a 1x2 box will still deliver almost all of the 50 wats/foot at one foot away because you trapped the beam. Trying not get too far down the technical rabbits hole but, make sense??

THE SIMPLE ANSWER;
I have played with similar lights but it has been a while. Hang the light at 16 inches and watch it grow. If the stem below the leaves grows longer lower the light. As long as the growth is from leaves up let it grow without moving the light. When the leaf tips closest to the light start to curl up measure your distance and subtract 2 inches. That is now your optimum light distance. This will change with time because the older the plant, the more light it can use.

So what distance have you been using? At 100 watts I'd have started out around 3 feet, maybe 4 for a short time. I like the Photone app I have to say. I sleep better knowing when I'm in the zone.
With a viper 100wats after true leaves I generally run 2-3 foot for a week then lower it as it grows. The picture in the post was an older amazon blurple. Maybe I am remembering wrong, but weren't those around 50% as efficient at delivering useful light in comparison to our full spectrums? I did around half dozen plants 5+ years ago as an experiment then gave the lights to a friend. He replaced them after his first harvest. If my memory is wrong please let the OP know.

What phone are you using with the APP? android or apple? Never found one that worked on android.

Okay guys. it's the 2 week point and I added another strain called "Super Silver Haze". The soil is wet form the recent watering. :rolleyes:
These babies grow faster than my last strains! Taken on Wednesday the 27th.

IMG_20230925_024210890.jpg

IMG_20230926_235737770.jpg

With a viper 100wats after true leaves I generally run 2-3 foot for a week then lower it as it grows. The picture in the post was an older amazon blurple. Maybe I am remembering wrong, but weren't those around 50% as efficient at delivering useful light in comparison to our full spectrums? I did around half dozen plants 5+ years ago as an experiment then gave the lights to a friend. He replaced them after his first harvest. If my memory is wrong please let the OP know.

What phone are you using with the APP? android or apple? Never found one that worked on android.
Iphone. I guess some folks feel it's not accurate. I don't know? I work with it.

My plants seem a little slow. When can I expert to use a fertilizer and which brand do you recommend? :yummy:
Over feeding is the most common cause of plant problems and only one small part of plant health. Poor nutrition will show itself in the form of a deficiency not slow growth. They are growing longer stems but no vary many new leaves. That indicates low or improper light spectrum. Your light should have sufficient spectrum so it needs to be lowered, closer to the plants. The slow growth often indicates low temperatures.

I don't remember what media you are using to answer what and when to feed. First there is an order that you increase the variables to optimize the plants growth. Once you have optimized light, temps, air circulation and humidity the plant can then use more nutrients. You can't make a bigger, better cake by just adding more flour. All of the ingredients have to be in the correct ratio.

Back
Top Bottom