Tranny troubles

Jackalope

A lot of pictures and things said here about females plants. A little here and there about male plants. Not sure how many pictures of hermies plants there are. I took the time to snap a few pictures before I tossed this once beautiful plant in the trash.

Indoor growing can do lots of things to plants. I always keep a eye out tell the very end for any snanagins. Lots of time one small factor or another will cause a little stress and a plant will throw a male flower or 2. These can be trimmed off with out further problems. These flowers usually form on lower branches only. They do not affect the buds. Often times you will find a high temp or some other environmental factor you can find that caused it.

That is not the case here. These flowers are all up in the buds and they are on every branch top to bottom. No choice at all this time. This is what a hermie that will ruin your crop looks like.

Going to have a few more real pretty hermie pictures tomorrow. That's 2 of 2. Better take Chocolate Mint Og off your to do list everyone.

I am saying I won't grow this strain again and no one should either. Tahoe Og and a few other great Og and Diesel strains are prone to hermie. It is in the genetics it can't be helped. They are also strong as hell so no one really cares. That means when you grow it you might get a hermie out of a few plants you might not.
2 plants out of 2 is not prone to hermie. It is Hermie genetics and useless. Genetics like this should never have been sold. With 1000's of loyal fans it is not like they don't have testers.

I do believe it came from the Emerald Og but that is a guess. Still they never should have released this strain. With its genetic make up and the name it is going to get a lot of interest. I plan to spread the word best I can so no one makes my mistake.

Now for more nasty ugly pictures. First is the plant itself. Great looking plant which makes it even harder to kill.
The next few pictures are a bit blurry but they get the point across.

It is amazing how well these can blend in if you are not looking right at them.

I cannot stress enough to keep a watchful eye on your plants all the way to finish. It can happen at any time. Some have at least a little respect and do it so late in flower it wouldn't matter LOL. 4 weeks in is way to early to control in any way.

I always wondered how people check their manifolded plants that are spread out far and wide. I have had hermies that only do it on a branch or 2. Something like that might go unnoticed.

Nice pictures of the hermies. Those male parts really are sneaky and hide very well. The few that I have had were due to my environment not being dialed in. Too low temps caused some to happen in my tent a few years ago. I never spotted the male parts.
Bad Genetics will definitely have these traits too. Thanks for posting some good pictures of these

Environment hermies happen. Hermie prone strain's will throw a sack or 2 if things are not to their liking. Usually those can be trimmed off and never come back if things are corrected. Things like this are no big deal. Those sacks tend to show up right at the branch junctions and not in the buds themselves. Once hey are in the buds you are Screwed! No amount of trimming will save them. They only way they would not be a total loss is if there were no other plants growing with it. Still it would be hard to harvest with out at least a few seeds. Those seeds would be hermie and useless.

There is the big difference between hermie prone and straight up hermie.

What I really hate is that I and a lot of other people know about the hermie factor in some strains. It is never mentioned by anyone. So in the end no matter how good we think these companies are they are not being honest. If they were you would find mention of it here and there.

If they were honest. it wouldn't change anything. Lots of people would still take that risk for a great plant. They should be given the info to start with.

My point exactly Stunned. Sent Humboldt a letter discussing that problem. Hard to recover 2 plants 4 weeks into flower. We will see what they do. I really don't see how they didn't get tons of negative responses to those C.M. Og seeds. So they know they are bad.
I don't care if they replace them. They should replace but will they? I really want to find out how the hell these seeds got out to the open market.
They have 1000's of loyal followers so we all know they have as many testers as they will ever need.
Back in the day. A lot of new strains were released as freebies first. It was basically their test batch. Now days they go straight to market so they don't lose one little penny.
What really sucks is they have no investment to cover anymore. They are not spending months and years making strains anymore. It is not like they need to recover money from research and development. Pollinate and sell seems to be the plan of the day.

This is a timely thread for me. I have been a long time outdoor grower who only started with indoor growing a few years ago. I just experienced my first hermie but I did not catch it in time and now have harvested some old school seeded sativa . . . I look at it as seeded sativa is better than no sativa and there was only one other plant in the tent with her. The other plant is an almost pure indica and upon close inspection does not appear to seeded. There were only a few branches of the sativa that got seeded but it reminded me of the old daze of cleaning the seeds out before consuming.

In over 40 years of outdoor growing, I rarely had hermaphrodites and when I did it was almost always caused by some kind of stress on the plant. I am curious though about your statement of certain strains are more prone to hermie than others and that it is known in the community. If it is not against the terms of this site would you name some of the strains to avoid for me?

Thanks for the interesting read,

Yeah I can help a little along those lines.
The first to watch out for can also be the best. Chem, Diesel, and the Og's all have hermie genetics in them. This is just a genetic thing and only happens to a plant or 2.

Cali Connection works a lot with Og genetics. I have seen it show up in their genetics but I still grow their Tahoe Og and I don't care. It is worth a lost plant here and there. Problem with them falls with the SFV Og they use to feminize most their strains. Pretty sure it is the problem but it also throws great hybrids so it is acceptable.
The Og and Diesel's are the worst for having hermie genetics and still used.

Soma seeds is another that I have avoided for years now. I lost a whole package of Lavender to hermies. Even the males threw hairs it was so bad. At least at that time Soma was using stress to get his females to hermaphrodite so they produce pollen. If stress makes it produce pollen once it can do it again. His breeding practices combined with high seed prices make it difficult to use Soma.

Those are the 2 main ones that come to mind Company wise.
Here are the strains and companies that I lost every seed in the package to hermies.

Chocolope Feminized, Sensible seeds
Lavender Soma Seeds
Chocolate Mint Og. Humboldt

I think the hermie in the Chocolate Mint is from the Emerald Og. I have not heard of it in Grandaddy Purple. If that is the case then it shows you really need to back check even the parents of a hybrid. I have seen Tahoe genetics throw a flower or 2 even after it has been bred to stable genetics. Never bad but it happens. It just goes to show how strong those genetics are ingrained in that family of genetics.

The best of all the Lavender females was bred to some strable males of 2 other strains. The breeder wanted to try and get a handle on the hermie part. As of yet it has not shown up in the hybrids. Still because of that fact it isn't grown enough to be sure. It does show hermie can be bred out in some circumstances.

With all the different female seeds hitting the market now. You just never know how they were made. Plus research on those seeds has probably stopped. I am sure they see if the seeds pop but I don't think they grow them out. If they pop they are packaged and sold as is.

Considering the information on the packagesT they are covered because your not supposed to grow them anyway.

Now that things have changed. It might be best to get seeds from only places that are meant to be grown. We know they are all supposed to be grown advertising or not. If a company knows their seeds are going to be grown then they are going to work harder to be sure they are right.

Here are a couple strains that are known to be solid genetics and throw solid hybrids.

Cinderella 99, Grimm Brothers
Blueberry, D.J. Short
White Widow
Skunk #1
Hash Plant

Yeah I can help a little along those lines.

Now that's the kind of information that I can use . . . Thank you so much!!! . . . I spent the first year and a half or so of my indoor experimenting/learning about autoflowers but have decided to go with photoperiods and just use autos as fill-ins and supplements from here on out.

Hey Jackalope, same thing just happened with my HSO chocolate mint og harvest. Found seeds in one of the two plants so far. Will inspect further. Had a few more plants in the same grow tent so now im worried about those. Everything is cut and drying. Other strains are EWE 2, and Garlic OG. Man this sucks!

Yeah that does suck. The way mine hermied it will make only hermie offspring. Or at least that is my thinking. When there are so many male flowers you can see them everywhere they are full on hermies. The flowers were covered in trichomes and were hard to spot. Once I did they were easy to identify. They would have been easy to miss.

I don't know how well you watched your plants. There is a chance it wasn't as bad as mine was. Plants that only throw a flower or 2 don't seem as bad hermie wise. The seeds from the Chocolate Mint I would just throw out. When a plant pollinates itself the chances are it's offspring will hermie. (Unless you made it hermie)

Thing is with the other plants. It may have just feminized them. If you get any seeds from the other plants I wouldn't throw them out until you have tried them. You may have accidentally made a hybrid. Lots of strains have started that way.

Hermie can be bred out. It is best to introduce stable genetics to it to do it right. It might work the other way also in some cases.

I like the point you made about free seeds being testers. I am starting to think that when a company offers free seeds they are either seeds they have had reports of issues with and cannot charge people for or they are an experimental batch and they want some feedback before charging people for them.
In my most recent seed purchase I received one free seed of White Widow. Now of course it could be completely unrelated but out of the 5 strains I'm running now the free seed is the plant that is the smallest. It's healthy and crazy bushy but not growing as fast. I will continue to take it to flower but I am worried about this becoming a hermi if I don't keep a close eye on it.

Yaa my plants looked great. Grew nicely couldnt tell. I inspect them everyday didnt notice any bananas or any sacs. Lets see hopefully the other plants are ok. I checked a few other plants couldnt find seeds within them. Im hoping it hermied late. It flowered for 60 days but looked done at 50 days. Maybe I let it sit too long causing it to herm. But after reading your thread it may be a genetic thing.

Just checked the plants more carefully this is my third full grow so new to this, im flowering in an 4 by 8 foot area. The bracts are definatley swollen on some of the plants, the garlic ogs defintley got pollinated. I split a bract and saw an immature seed. Luckily these are done and packed on wieght along with the other plants. I will cut them down because seeds are not developed yet. Quality of the weed on all the plants is good. I also noticed 5 weeks into flower the cm og that hermed was producuing way less trichomes than the other 7 plants. I should have inspected more thoroughly. Oh well I will just make some bubble hash with the seed full plant. Thanks for your thread! I also have two clones ready to flower of the CM but luckily these wernt fron the hermie plant . It was one of the really good producers. Not sure if I should flower it with the other 6 plants because of the traits of these cm ogs.

Keep a watch early on. If seeds are brown then they were pollinated early on. Seeds made late wouldn't finish and they would be white and immature.

Sounds like it might just be a certain pheno that hermies. I just happened to end up with 2 out of 2 of them. Could be weirder shit has happened. Good luck with the clones.

I like the point you made about free seeds being testers. I am starting to think that when a company offers free seeds they are either seeds they have had reports of issues with and cannot charge people for or they are an experimental batch and they want some feedback before charging people for them.
In my most recent seed purchase I received one free seed of White Widow. Now of course it could be completely unrelated but out of the 5 strains I'm running now the free seed is the plant that is the smallest. It's healthy and crazy bushy but not growing as fast. I will continue to take it to flower but I am worried about this becoming a hermi if I don't keep a close eye on it.

I have thoughts on the free seed thing. All those single seeds in a tiny bag could be from anywhere. You would think it would just be seeds they had to many of. What happens when they run out and the promotion is still running? If seeds are not in breeder packs you never know who put them in the bag.

I recently grew a Super Lemon Haze freebie that I got for ordering Greenhouse seeds. I didn't want to open a breeder pack so I just grew the free seed. Whatever it was it wasn't SLH. It was as good or better than what I expected the SLH to be. I'm not bitching. Big question what the hell was it?

Did Greenhouse make a mistake? Did the Seedbank replace the SLH with something else because they ran out? If they did do that did they at least use more Greenhouse genetics? Free seeds are just that. FREE. You can't complain about free stuff. Always worth looking at but you can't depend on them being anything.

Back
Top Bottom