Trying to ID sex

PopPop65

420 Member
I am new first year growing so I know only a little. I am putting a lot of effort and time on this plant. It's 7 weeks old I can not tell if it's a Male or Female. Hoping yall can tell. This plant was a true freebie it came up all on it's own right next to my back door. Likely a seed tossed while rolling. Never had a volunteer like this before. It has been a long time since I had any pour quality smoke. So if it is a female is will be worth growing. I figure it must not be a Auto. Can yall tell from my pics if it's a female. I first dug it up when it had 6 sets of leaves. I put it in a 2 gallon pot and it filled it with roots so bumped it to a five gallon pot now it was filling it with roots too. So I put it in its final 15 gallon grow bag. How soon should a photo plant start showing it's sex?

20210729_013019.jpg

20210729_012936.jpg

It's still a little early to tell, I think I might see a pistil in the second pic, right side, sticking out from behind a leaf, and possibly the first pic on the right side, but I don't like the looks of the left side of the 1st pic at the node. The daylight period has to drop down to about 13-14 hours for pre flower, otherwise they will stay in veg. Keep an eye on the nodes, that's where you'll see the first indications of sex. My outdoor plants are still getting about 15 hours of sunlight/day, so I have no preflower yet, another couple weeks. Not concerned as they are feminized.

First... loosen that tie a bit, I can see it indenting the stem.

This is what you want to see for a Female...

FemalePlantEarly Detection.png

This is what you will see if it's a Male...

MalePlantEarly Detection.png

Hi Morda Grown
Thank you for the advice the pics will help me alot. Extra thanks for pointing out the ties being too tight. I had not realized the stems had grown that thick. I cut them asap. Lots of room to grow now.

There are zero places in Virginia to. Buy seeds so I have to buy online and have no way of telling who I can trust online so I am hoping this is a female. If it is I will start clones off it.
We're do you guys get your seeds they are costly online?

For now I'm just using my own stash and what I get from bag seed. I haven't bought any seeds from a vender, but others have. Prepare for a list. ;)

There are zero places in Virginia to. Buy seeds so I have to buy online and have no way of telling who I can trust online so I am hoping this is a female. If it is I will start clones off it.

There are many companies that are reliable. Check the sponsor list.

Hi Morda Grown
Thank you for the advice the pics will help me alot. Extra thanks for pointing out the ties being too tight. I had not realized the stems had grown that thick. I cut them asap. Lots of room to grow now.

Awesome job on the freebie! I agree still a little too early to tell on the sexing. I’ve always bought from Attitude Seedbank in the UK - zero problems in like 13 years of doing business. I order, write the order number in a birthday card, send cash, seed shows up in a really ingenious manner every time. More expensive than others I’m sure, but no problems. Definitely check out the sponsors though!!! Virginia is coming along now, but most likely won‘t have seeds readily available until after 2024 because of the way they rolled out lopsided. Cost? For high quality feminized seeds (5 super lemon haze, 5 jack herer, 5 birthday cake all feminized for like a little over $100 bucks if I remember correctly? Plus a bunch of freebie seeds which are usually junk, but free is free lol. Good luck and happy growing - hoping she’s a she!!!

If youve had 7 weeks veg already you could just turn the lights into 12/12. You should be able to sex the plant pretty fast after the switch, if it has been even close to OK vegetation gworth.

And see the pictures above, theres a good example of early stage/preflowering plants male and female.

Good luck with the flowering if its a female!

I have no control over the lighting. The plant is in a 15 gallon grow bag outdoors. The darn wild one that just popped up on its own is doing a lot better than the Auto Lowryder I have in the tent. I just bought a light meter to measure how much light is hitting each plant. Right now I am at 600 to 690 lux at the tops of my plants. Does anyone know how many lux I need for each and should I keep it the same during veg and flowering? Nice to be able to measure but would be better if I knew what they need. I did notice a huge difference in growth when I lowered or raised the lights. I caused them to stop growing out and start growing straight up when I had the lights too high. I had leaved start to curl up when I had it too low. The hardest time I had was the first 3 weeks I just couldn't get the lights at a sweat spot. Had to keep going like a yo-yo until they finally settled down. Was surprised the light meter did not come with recommendations for lux numbers.

Males will show little balls sacks. Females will show calyxes with a pre-flower hair on them. Once the plants get larger it's alot easier to tell the difference. Just be sure to pull the males before any sacks pop. You could always move a male outside, put a zip lock bag over some sack, collect the pollen, then pollinate a lower bud to get your own seeds. If you do that be sure to securely tighten the bag so the pollen doesn't escape.

So how about these?? Male or Female….
(All pics from the same plant)

B8EFB0E6-A809-467B-BB27-CEFB2FBE249E.png

1B1D15F8-E447-44B2-A8D9-892709005AD5.png

27E5E587-790B-4C58-89DF-A23FA6C3ECF0.jpeg

Sorry cuz,
Those are male.
As for poppop65, light should be measured in ppfd ( photosynthetic photon flux density) that way you can work out your DLI.
Check out Bruce bugbee at apogee (YouTube) or the fluence website for more data.
Also if you want to sex your outdoor plant, put it in the garage (or the like) for 72 hours of complete darkness,
After that it will have girl or boy glands
Dj

Are you

referring to the three pics I just posted?
Yes sir, the last 3 photos show a male plant. You could harvest for pollen and make your own seeds but you need to keep the plants apart and keep the pollen in a zip lock bag. Pollinate a lower brach after while pistils are still showing and tie the bag off. Turn off the ventilation and fans while doing this if in a tent. If outside do it on a non windy day. Leave the bag on and shake it around for about 30 seconds. Leave it for a few days. If the bag is secure you can turn the fans and ventilation on. When removing the bag turn the ventilation and fans off. Mist the branch off so pollen doesn't fly around. Turn on vents/fans. Wash clothes/shoes before going back in and out of tent after pollination and after removing bag.

This is the cheapest and easiest way to get your own seeds. You can also experiment and cross pollinate two bomb strains or create your own hybrids from plants that express traits you desire.

This will probably get lost in this thread but there are reputable places to buy seeds in the US. The list of sponsors for this message board contains several seed sellers. The nice thing is that if one of these sellers does not hold up to its side of the deal and fails to ship, or ships bad seeds and does not make it right for the grower, they end up being dropped from the list. That is one place to start looking.

Virginia has legalized Marijuana and maybe seed sellers can legally do business in your state in another year or so. Might take a bit of research on your part but then you will be prepared.

In the mean time, why not ask some of the people you relax and pass the joint or pipe around with. One of them might have a couple of seeds from name brand strain, something from a reputable seller in another state, or just a handful of bag seeds. With luck they will give it to you as a gift. Even some bag seeds can get you up and going. That is all I did 4 years ago--just asked for free seeds with no guarantee that I would successfully grow a good plant. If the plant grew then I shared but the clones would be mine since I was paying for the electricity, the nutrients, the water, the fans & lights and other equipment.

Just asking people you trust can open up all kinds of possibilities.

Yes sir, the last 3 photos show a male plant. You could harvest for pollen and make your own seeds but you need to keep the plants apart and keep the pollen in a zip lock bag. Pollinate a lower brach after while pistils are still showing and tie the bag off. Turn off the ventilation and fans while doing this if in a tent. If outside do it on a non windy day. Leave the bag on and shake it around for about 30 seconds. Leave it for a few days. If the bag is secure you can turn the fans and ventilation on. When removing the bag turn the ventilation and fans off. Mist the branch off so pollen doesn't fly around. Turn on vents/fans. Wash clothes/shoes before going back in and out of tent after pollination and after removing bag.
This is the cheapest and easiest way to get your own seeds. You can also experiment and cross pollinate two bomb strains or create your own hybrids from plants that express traits you desire.

Thanx ah bunch for your insight as well as, taking the tyme to respond. With this being my very first grow, I’ve been hands on in my garden daily. Taking pictures and close up observation. I accepted your evaluation not only on face value but more so for what’s it worth…which is Priceless information! Breeding is definitely on the list of my near future cultivator goals, and much more. I have four other potential ladies in the grow op and we’re only 5 days into 12/12. So let’s hope we end the season with a 4-1 record!
#HappyHarvest
01090934-573F-4A52-8DD8-EF623A648D87.jpeg

Thanx ah bunch for your insight as well as, taking the tyme to respond. With this being my very first grow, I’ve been hands on in my garden daily. Taking pictures and close up observation. I accepted your evaluation not only on face value but more so for what’s it worth…which is Priceless information! Breeding is definitely on the list of my near future cultivator goals, and much more. I have four other potential ladies in the grow op and we’re only 5 days into 12/12. So let’s hope we end the season with a 4-1 record!
#HappyHarvest
01090934-573F-4A52-8DD8-EF623A648D87.jpeg
I once crossed a Kurple Fantasy #1 from now defunct Imperial Genetics with a male white widow. The KF#1 strain at one point took 2nd place in a high times cannabis cup so the Genetics on it were that good. I ended up with 100+ seeds. Some were given to some members on here, which I'm not sure are still around. The rest were stored with a guy I was growing with. We had a falling out and he kept it all. It was a tragic loss.

Back
Top Bottom