Ultrasonic's 8-Strain DWC Spectacular

Everything is looking amazing Ultra keep it up bro, I will be stopping in more often been a little sidetracked lately. Peace.

Ahhhhh Yeah :)

Looking forward to the week 7 update! How are you feeling about the growth rate of the buds? Can you see any changes on a daily basis? Well, I guess we'll all know soon enough ;)

I'm not so sure how I feel about growth: The buds directly under the light are clearly doing significantly better, but my 16 plants quickly dwindled to I think 8 now, still in the same amount of bins: so light distribution isn't exactly ideal... on top of that, a large amount of light is getting lost off the sides. The quality of the smoke however is amazing, and it gets me higher then anything i've smoked (had a little sample from a plant that had to be removed because it was under-preforming.... decided to leave it for a long while, but it wasn't going anywhere, and the roots were starting to turn color, so CHOP. Thanks to Roseman (props man) I know that cutting the roots a little bit wasn't going to be the end of the world.

I learned a few good yield enhancers for next round:
-lower ppm altogether: never higher than 1200ppm WITH additives.
-grow in an enclosed reflective space: conserves a LOT of light... tons and tons, actually.
-USE CO2! I'll be doing a tank with my next 4x4...x4 (lol.. 4 plants) I think it's really worth the investment.
-stick with the same strain for the sake of stability
-use clones over seedlings! clones are much hardier.
-if using clones, take 2-3x more than needed, then choose the absolute strongest: it's worth it in the end.
-don't underestimate veg time: bigger plants=bigger buds, but they bring their own issues when growing indoors.

:thumb:

Update in just a few hours :)

Must have photos! Those colas are huge and a ruler in the pics will prove it!!

I'm thinking all the plants in your photos are WW? If so, you've convinced me that's what I'm doing for my next grow. Easy to grow, high yield, what's not to like!

Looking forward to those pics, the yield numbers, and a smoke report. I'm sure you mentioned this before, but remind me again... what is your harvest date?

p.s. Best wishes for the upcoming move. Moving sucks, especially when you have such a nice garden going. Here's hoping all goes well and you're back here soon with an even more impressive grow.

Ugh, busy busy busy.
Took 6 photos, and they were ALL horrible. I'll have to try again soon: i've been so caught up with work and life, and even now the thought of going and doing it isn't all that inspiring :) Though I will say they're looking great.

I'm not feeling so good about my total yield for two reasons...
-I overfed at first, so I lost a few of the smaller plants that could have brought in an extra few ounces.
-the larger plants suffered too from the overfeed, and the buds don't show as dense of a growth as I would like.. though I suppose I have to keep in mind that i'm not using co2, and my light distribution was very poor.

They are clearly packing on more weight, making for some interesting looking buds.

I'm planning to have a 20lb co2 tank and a momma plant all ready for my new move. I will be doing the momma in soil, and taking 3x as many clones as I need from her. My goal is to select the absolute strongest and largest every time, discarding the rest. I will be doing the clones in a 12-16 site "raft dwc" style cloner. This is the absolute easiest way to clone, and I feel better about it when compared to an aerocloner: I like the idea of the stems being almost constantly saturated: this should allow a softening effect, and make rooting occur earlier. My plan is to just have a small rectangular container, and get a piece of Styrofoam to set on top of it, that will float on the water. I'll puncture small holes in it that will fit my 1 inch neoprene, in which I will insert the clones. Pop in some airstones for a heavy rolling bubble, and you've got the same effect as an aero cloner: a moist, high oxygen environment for the clones to root in. I'll be running a 4x4 tent w/ 1000w (shouldn't be an issue regarding cooling: I will start growing during a Canadian fall, so It will be quite cool at night)

I will only be doing 4 plants with the interest of keeping my plant count to a minimum. My target is 2lbs every 2 1/2 months, non-perpetual: meaning, i'll only keep a small mother/clone room, and I'll most likely do my vegging in the co2 enriched tent, in the interest of modeling my grow after "rumpleforeskins" grow over on grasscity. He yeilds 8-10oz off a single plant, scrog, in a 2x4 closet under 400w.

So theres probably another 750$ of investments, laugh.... I dunno, 400$ for a sentinnel controller, and 350$ for a full co2 tank, plus 150 for a regulator. And I -have- been drooling over a larger reflector, but that I think will border unnecessary since i'll be cramming it into a 4x4 space. I have a spare 3k 1000w sunpulse, so i'll certainly be using that again. When I veg, the 1000w will be wayyyy up high, and i'll supplement some blue lighting with a few CFLs. I found that I didn't "love" the results produced by the 3k in veg: I found it to be not as... Lush? I dunno, it was just different.

Thanks for the update Ultra. Sorry the photos didn't work out but I'm sure things are looking great. Getting ready to move you whole operation has gotta be adding some stress!

I agree that having the right temperature light in veg helps a lot. I think the reason my plants are so short is due to using the Hortilux HPS instead of an MH. Of course, if I were growing a really leggy strain using a light that keeps plants short would be a great choice.

So many strains, so many options, so little time...

Just a couple things:

I noticed, I suppose because of my excellent ventilation, that the room just didn't seem to ever smell: until recently. I shut off my fans for a few moments, then came back in later and WOW, it sure smells like weed. Time to make extra sure the cop next door doesn't smell anything :)

Also- usul: I'd personally recommend WW. Check out Rumpleforeskin on grasscity: all his grows except 1 so far have been with nirvanas WW, the same strain as mine. Good stuff. I've got a harvest party all planned for next sunday: an afternoon of unsuspecting friends, beer, and music.... and no work! lol.

can't WAIT for my 2.5 month cycle with my 2.5 pound goal MMMMM its gonna be great!!! I'll easily be able to maintain 78F w/ co2 in a 4x4 tent: it's all in the air cooled hood :p I'll be running a 6 inch votex, so 449cfm + cold winter air will make things nice and cool and managable. I found these dinky little dehumidifers too: they're about a foot and ahalf tall: perfect for a tent.

EDIT: Sunday is the beginning of the 7 day countdown :) All the babies are flushing now in AN's Final. I MAY possibly wipe down the insides of the bins, then replace them with fresh flushing solution: I've got lots and lots left, and i've heard that all the salt buildup and reside will reduce the effectiveness of the solution, and it should be cleared BEFORE using the product.

AHHH, why not, eh? I'm sure it'll taste beautiful :)

Wow - just one week to go! Must feel great to be in the home stretch and planning the harvest party :grinjoint: Next Sunday I'll face north and hoist a brew in your honor.

Thanks for the WW recommendation. After watching your grow, and a number of others, that's going to be my next strain for sure. If it works out as hoped I'll likely focus on that one strain for as many grows as it takes to figure out exactly what works best in the way of lighting, training and nutes.

And I hear ya about the ventilation! It's easy to take our carbon filters for granted but they do amazing work. The setup you describe with the 4x4 tent and ventilated hood sounds exactly like what I cooking up for my dream grow. In fact I'm hoping to have two 4x4 tents so I can stagger the grows and be harvesting every 2 months. Then I can pack the 2x2 tent with T5s and use it as a mother ship. Now all I need is a new house - ha ha!

Anyway, great work bro - I'm looking forward to those harvest pics.

and the countdown begins :cheer:

im with usul, i feel like my upcoming grow i probably should have done ww, especially after seeing the results you and stink are having, but i opted to go with a pure afghan kush.. im reevaluating that decision lol.. but my next grow will be ww and maybe some other good stuff.. like ya said everyone pretty much grows ww at least once, n i see exactly why

Harvest Day Tomorrow!!

IMG_05903.JPG

IMG_05863.JPG

IMG_05852.JPG

some bud I cut for a harvest day smoke about 4 days ago.
IMG_05783.JPG

from 8 strains 16 plants down to 1 strain and 4 plants, lol. Overfeeding taught me a lesson :(
IMG_05776.JPG

IMG_05763.JPG

IMG_05757.JPG

IMG_05744.JPG

argh damn cat hair!
IMG_05704.JPG

now I'm late for work :) laters all :)

Fabulous! Really nice foxtailing going on there. Beauty.

I'm assuming all the plants you have left are White Widow? Did they get the same nutes/ppms as all the other plants? Still being a beginner I'm always on the lookout for strains that are forgiving and can handle overfeeding without much complaint. If these girls thrived on the same nutes that toasted the others they'll get high marks in my book.

So, tomorrow you chop and chop and trim and trim. Looks like it's going to be a big sticky mess. :yahoo:

Fabulous! Really nice foxtailing going on there. Beauty.

I'm assuming all the plants you have left are White Widow? Did they get the same nutes/ppms as all the other plants? Still being a beginner I'm always on the lookout for strains that are forgiving and can handle overfeeding without much complaint. If these girls thrived on the same nutes that toasted the others they'll get high marks in my book.

So, tomorrow you chop and chop and trim and trim. Looks like it's going to be a big sticky mess. :yahoo:

aye aye, they're all WW. They were the hardiest clones, and yes, they all received the same nutes.

SLH seedling was first to go
strawberry cough seedling was next
followed by the weaker ww clones

interestingly enough, the WW seedling stood up to the nutes pretty well.

the result is 4 plants, laugh.

Nice job on the bud same for me I use alot of ventilation and 2 purifier I bought in trift store and does the job. Funny you mention the police I sent a Police to get my weed from someone who stole it for me didn't had no result but they will think twice before to do it again. Wich to see there face when the cop knock at the door. It is a big progress for the weed world when police goes pick up your weed.
what piss me off was the plant I put outside was hybrid with basil and taragon and I flush it 5 day before. Was ready to dry and pick up the seed and test if it work and the result was gone a be in august to see if I had basil kush and taragon kush. Fucking coakroach of society.

I love America and America been good to me thank you.

Trichs look pretty, and the foxtailing is so picture perfect.
Awesome job Ultra :adore::bravo:

Well this grow finished with moderate success - however i'm comfortable flaunting the results: I feel I made mistakes.
I learned several things that will keep me secure on the path to achieving my 2lb/3month goal.

1. Increased light coverage by using a 4x4 tent + SCROG, thus eliminating a large amount of light loss (I will also not be using the light mover, which will make a huge difference regarding penetration)
2. cooler light allowing for cooler surface temperature of buds: my fan will not be vented into a confined space, therefore airflow will be 400+CFM for the single 1000w
3. REDUCED FEEDING SCHEDULE: 1200ppm will be the absolute max, complimented by;
4. co2: big yields with fewer plants require co2. I'll be hooked up with a controller + tank.
5. I had to pull out my "uber" air diffusers becuase using them in such deep water over so many bins wasn't working. This time, I'll be able to give them the true test: 38L per minute of air in 20GAL of nutrient solution :)

It's going to cost approx 800-900$ to upgrade fully, and I'll need to have these things in 2 months: Hopefully I can go ahead and order them early, and have them arrive to this address. I found controllers/regulators to be MUCH cheaper online.

My local hydro store does a refill for 50$, and a deposit is 300$: ouch. At least it'll be a one time fee: after that, 50 bucks every 3 months doesn't sound bad at all.

I'd ask any followers who would really like to see what this bulb can do to visit my new thread HERE and help me decide on which strain to start out with.

I have to say: the WW I produced with this light was the tastiest, most aromatic, potent, clean burning, resin free pot that I have ever smoked: everyone I smoked it with has commented on the unique flavor: I can't wait to see what more light, co2, more oxygen, and better temps can do!

Right now, i've got a stealth mini hydro setup going in my nightstand! It's going to be running in under 2 weeks, as soon as my seeds arrive: it will be my mother plant. pics to come!

I'm seriously ready to produce 2+ lbs. :grinjoint:

Thanks for the update Ultra - you're new setup sounds fabulous. And it totally cracks me up that you've got a stealth hydro setup in your closet! What sort of lights are you running in there? Ventilation? I understand - this growing thing can get into your blood...

I hear you about the upgrade costs, but it sounds reasonable for the increased yield you'll get. I'm budgeting for two new 300W LED arrays, a pair of 3x3 tents and new ventilation gear. It'll probably set me back $3k, but I'll be able to produce enough meds that I'll never run out. And I'll have enough backup to experiment with exotic curing, concentrate-making and baked-goods techniques. Totally worth it.

I'd love to see some pics of your mini closet grow if you have a chance.

;)

Usual and ultra, both have setup like what I am planning on. I have a 3.11" by 3.11" Tent from htg supply. So damn near a 4X4 with a 600W MH and HPS light. I want a perpetual grow as well but going to do my first grow to see how it goes. I want a 300w LED as well prob will use it for vegging/cloning once I get enought money to buy that and a tent with a few more additions, dont plan on using C02 well not as of yet at least. I plan on using CFL's for side lighting. Not 100% completely sure about my setup as I need to find a new pad soon but seems like we should all be going in a similar direction within due time. Nice grow Ultra, what was your final weight if you dont mind me asking?

very nice thread,
im doing 7 bubblers under a 600 myself atm.

Found your post very informative and would like to see more from you.

Nice lst'ing also!

Hope you have / had a good party.

What was the final weight btw?

Back
Top Bottom