Unsealed my cob today, after over 3.5 months

Hygrometer read 76% today so I will leave the buds in there for another day to see if they can soak it up. I have built some cob molds - three 1" x 3" and one 5/8 x 3" just to see if dia. makes any difference.
That's exciting. Cob making is a wonderful art for all the variances that create a unique result. :thumb:

I also found out that if your water salt mixture gets too warm it doesn't stay at 75% - my jar jumped up to 89% so I took the mixture out and am just letting the weed sit in the cool for a while. I'll check in a couple of hours to see what is going on. It kinda surprised me!

Well, back to centre ring in this circus.....I packed 26 g into two 1" dia. parchment paper wrapped cylinders. Hard to believe that jar fit into that.
DSC05805.JPG

DSC05806.JPG

and then got wrapped in saranwrap....
DSC05809.JPG

and now we both sweat for a day...
DSC05810.JPG

The weed was at 73% this morning and I'm hoping that was wet enough. It felt pretty spongy. I guess tomorrow I check on it, wrap it up again and let it sit somewhere warm.

@BuzzzD , looking good brother.

Do you have a vacuum bagging machine? Ideally we put the cob into a vacuum whilst it ferments to eliminate any chance of mould developing.
If you don't have a vacuum machine then keep a close eye it and if you see mould starting then dry it quickly.😀

Do you have a vacuum bagging machine?
No, I was trying to figure out an alternative and Saran Wrap was the closest I could think of. I think if the wrap is real tight it should keep out any air. I'm really winging it here and can use all the suggestions imagineable.
I have heard that the "Turd" - I really want another name for that - can develop a "bloom" and that is good but I'll need to figure out the good from the bad.
I'm just hoping that the weed was moist enough to get the good bacteria working and that the fermenting takes place..
Any and all suggestions are welcomed!!!

It will be interesting to see the surface of my "turd" (dammit I don't like that!!!) Anyway, when I compressed it as far as I could by hand I then used my drill press as an arbour and squeezed pretty hard. So it should be packed pretty solid.

@BuzzzD My first few cobs looked like turds!

CameraZOOM-20201118140406667.jpg
Hi Hombre, those first cobs you made appear quite dark in the pic, so I guess they were made from bud a little more moist than your other more golden ones. How did you find the effect of the those first cobs and I presume you now prefer starting them less moist?

@Stunger , you are correct my friend, they were made with weed that was too wet, though they still work perfectly, but don't have such a good taste or smell.
Using quite damp weed causes the reactions to happen very quickly (similar with using too much heat or for too long) and make it harder for us to control the ferment and get the better colours and flavours.
The effect of the dark cobs is more spacey whereas the lighter cobs are more speedy, though obviously the strain has a lot to do with it as well.

Predominantly I make the lighter cobs, but will always do a dark one as well for good measure.

OK, they may have sweat - there was no visible signs of condensation but the parchment paper may have soaked it up. They seem dry to the touch so I guess I wrap them back up and store for a week in a warm place.
DSC05816.JPG

I don't like how the parchment paper kind of scrunched down when I was packing - next time I will wrap afterwards and keep it smooth. They are pretty darn solid.
I'm going to do a faux vacuum bag and use my vac to draw down.
Any suggestions??

OK, they may have sweat - there was no visible signs of condensation but the parchment paper may have soaked it up. They seem dry to the touch so I guess I wrap them back up and store for a week in a warm place.
DSC05816.JPG

I don't like how the parchment paper kind of scrunched down when I was packing - next time I will wrap afterwards and keep it smooth. They are pretty darn solid.
I'm going to do a faux vacuum bag and use my vac to draw down.
Any suggestions??
I've only made cobs the once, so I am watching with interest. The fact that you have compressed them well helps a lot against mould, and I would imagine that using your vac to get more air out should work well. Hopefully they have enough moisture in them to ferment.

I checked today and they looked OK - I don't know if the rehydration even worked - I could just have a well compressed chunk of weed!!
I have only made 2 cobs each from 3 different strains. In hindsight 1 strain was too dehydrated and I don't think reached 'ferment' like the other 2 strains I used.

If all goes well on my current grow I will do it again, but I'll try to judge the buds used when they are a little more hydrated but not too much. I know, it's all easier said than done, that's why it's an art as well as science.

Back
Top Bottom