Unsealed my cob today, after over 3.5 months

Potpimp

According to my journal, I started this project on 1/6/22. I had just chopped the rest of my grow of land-race Colombian Gold and hung it up. Later that A few days earlier, I ran across a "cobbing" thread on another weed forum. It sounded crazy, but I'm always down for crazy, so I read the instructions about 8 times (sorry, I was high) and grabbed about 5 oz of freshly trimmed bud and the corn shucks, 1mm hemp thread, some vac-n-seal bags and the machine and started wrapping. The 5 oz rolled up into three "turds". :ganjamon: I put them in the dehydrator for a day, then did the fermentation process for a week. I tried it out and here is the Smoke Report:

Smoke Report: Some little bits fell off of one as I was removing the corn shucks so I put that in a little stash jar for testing. As has been said, the smoke is crazy smooth, almost like smoking air. The taste is pretty bland, with a slight burnt cardboard finish. The high comes on quickly, just like smoking flower. It lasts about 90 minutes or so. Contrary to previous reports, in my personal experience it wasn't completely free of brain fog or memory issues. The high was very much of a feeling of well-being, just a really nice "stoned" (insert Eagles "Peaceful Easy Feeling" song here) feel, and the sense that everything is right in the universe, which is a great diversion from the covid insanity. Another thing I noticed is how long the stuff burns; I pinched off a tiny bit and got 6 big tokes off it and I'm not sure it was done even then. It burned to a dove gray ash and didn't gum up the one-hitter like my regular bud, although I don't use the one-hitter for regular bud. On the exhale, the "smoke" disappears in less than an arm's length and I even did a hit in the bathroom and you couldn't even tell it. It also doesn't stink up your breath like regular bud. I told my wife that it's so smooth that even she could smoke it (she's never smoked weed or anything else because she has asthma). I sealed the "turds" back up and am starting the curing process. I'm looking at these things wondering if I can smoke one of them in three months. I'm very, very impressed with this process.

Today: It still smells about the same, sort of like pickles but not quite. Shaved off some little pieces (rather than a chunk) and took a couple of tokes. Definitely different than it was two months ago, for sure. Doesn't taste bad, but it's not like smoking flower. It seems to hit about like it did at first, and two months ago. The high seems to be about the same too, so I'm not sure what the long curing is supposed to do. It didn't taste remotely bad the first time I smoked it and, you might not like this but I think I got higher at first, after it had fermented but hadn't started the cure. I'm at least able to write and post this without a lot of mistakes and focus. I've noticed that the last bit of cob that I shredded and just finished up tasted a lot more harsh, gummed up my pipe, and was a lot thicker than the smoke at first. I'm not sold on the curing process.

This stuff would be great stealth stash. You could say that it's "some sort of herb" (insert your favorite). I don't think the cops would even suspect this is weed. Doesn't really smell like weed either when you smoke it.

4.24 b.JPG

this might help

you should keep this thread alive. i have a vacuum sealer still in the box on bought on sale a couple yrs ago need to try.

This sounds like fun.
Quick question....would there be any advantage to press your weed into a puck, much like you would do to prepare for squeezing rosin??
I say yes. I took an ounce of 75% rh
45BC72D2-5DA4-4D68-B088-881606AE7C1A.jpeg
weed and crammed it into a 6” x ¾ “ piece of pvc. It was in there so tight I had to use a utility razor to split the pvc pipe. The more compaction the better. Vacuum seal and heat at 120f 24hours and throw behind the cable box for a few months.

I say yes. I took an ounce of 75% rh
45BC72D2-5DA4-4D68-B088-881606AE7C1A.jpeg
weed and crammed it into a 6” x ¾ “ piece of pvc. It was in there so tight I had to use a utility razor to split the pvc pipe. The more compaction the better. Vacuum seal and heat at 120f 24hours and throw behind the cable box for a few months.
You can just throw colas or buds in a vac bag and do it, although i'm like @zigzagman1960 and compress mine.

S6000269.JPG
S6000292.JPG
A few different cobs from a year or so ago.

Most people smoke cob but the real magic comes when you eat it! It's very different from any other way of using the herb.

@BuzzzD , no, the process of fermenting the cobs also decarbs it.
Gram for gram, it's a similar strength to regular buds in a spliff or pipe, but when you eat it, it becomes something else. My wife takes 30-50mg and is high for 10 hrs!
I've gone from smoking up to 5g of good Sativa bud a day to eating somewhere between 0.4-1gm/day. So your stash lasts so long! Plus the cobs improve with age!

The 5 oz rolled up into three "turds". :ganjamon: I put them in the dehydrator for a day, then did the fermentation process for a week.
Hi Potpimp, your cobs sound great and it's always great to read others experiences with cobs. I just wondered why you put yours in the dehydrator for a day when they'd already been hanging for several days. I assume they must have been still quite wet. Why I ask, is because when I made several cobs a couple of years ago, one strain's buds were a little drier than the others, and I think in hindsight too dry and the ferment process was possibly impacted, but I see yours turned out great.
I converted to cobbing all my outdoor Sativas harvest 3 years ago after almost 50 yrs of regular smoking and 30 something of growing.😀
Beautiful looking cobs Hombre! Like you, I've been at it for a few decades and the thought of cobs as edibles to reduce the lung deliveries is attractive.
Quick question....would there be any advantage to press your weed into a puck, much like you would do to prepare for squeezing rosin??
I am no expert, but I thought generally that compressing the buds for cobs is a desired thing. Firstly I think to minimise mould, and secondly I feel the cobs 'ferment' better.
The more compaction the better.
That's what I understand too. Lovely cob pic ZZ!
the process of fermenting the cobs also decarbs it.
Gram for gram, it's a similar strength to regular buds in a spliff or pipe, but when you eat it, it becomes something else. My wife takes 30-50mg and is high for 10 hrs!
I've gone from smoking up to 5g of good Sativa bud a day to eating somewhere between 0.4-1gm/day. So your stash lasts so long! Plus the cobs improve with age!
Usually every evening an hour or two before bed I chew a chunk of decarbed bud and I find it great for a good sleep. But I would like to investigate cobs more to replace my vaping as lungs don't stay young forever. When I have smoked or vaped cobs and shared with others, people usually comment on how surprisingly smooth it is.

I made a post in a previous grow journal of mine a couple of years ago, where I documented making some cobs, so for anyone interested in the process I used it's --> here.

Bluter's post at #5, gives the link to Tangwena's Cob thread which has lots of good Cobbing info.

Ooooohhhh!!! I'm really cheap!!! This sounds right up my ally!!! :bravo:

Wow, that’s amazing. Wonder why more people aren’t doing that? But I have to admit I do love the taste and smell of some good smoke 💨. CL🍀:passitleft::Namaste:

Just wanted to thank you for your Cobs tutorial. Took a while to read and it ended abruptly.
How did you like the end result?? Maybe I missed that part.
You're welcome Buzz! I wrote a few posts around cobs within that thread. I didn't want to post a mass of links here, but since you asked here is the introduction post I made to explain my understanding of cobs based on Tangwena's method. Bear in mind that many folks recommend letting the cobs cure for a year, so at the time of making them I wasn't thinking too much of ripping straight into them. And since then, I usually forget that I have them and simply vape my jarred bud and consume some decarbed bud before sleeping. Here is a 'review' post I made on the cobs. Cheers.

Wow, that’s amazing. Wonder why more people aren’t doing that? But I have to admit I do love the taste and smell of some good smoke 💨. CL🍀:passitleft::Namaste:
The taste and smell of well made and matured cob is something else! Phenomenally sweet with an extra something whilst still retaining all the original terpines; all though it does take a little practice to dial it in.
Even badly made cobs will still fuck you up big time but just not taste as pleasant as a well made cob.

During the fermentation we can use different starting humidities, different temperatures and different ferment times to alter the effects, flavours, colours and taste.

Traditionally the method uses sativas and the "sativaness" is improved. Ie, more clarity, euphoria and energy.
Unlike normal edibles you don't mong out after a few hours, you remain clear and focused; it feels a bit like coming up on Acid or Mandy.
The effects are so clear that one is able to do their normal tasks without it being noticeable to anyone else that your completely off your face!.

The effect when smoked is also improved in a positive way and is far smoother in a spliff or whatever.

The cobs improve with age but can be smoked after just 6 weeks but really need 3months before being eaten.

There is a good thread on here about it, but over on IC there is a huge one that is very active (Malawi style fermented cob) and Tangwena (cob master extraordinaire) hangs out on there, as do many other master cob makers.

Most people once they've tried cob are hooked.

Those guys over in Africa really knew what they were doing.

Apologies for rambling a bit but i'm coming up really hard on 0.45g of Golden Tiger cob. 😀

Edit: it's now 18hrs since I wrote this.
I forgot to press post! I was so high.

The taste and smell of well made and matured cob is something else! Phenomenally sweet with an extra something whilst still retaining all the original terpines; all though it does take a little practice to dial it in.
Even badly made cobs will still fuck you up big time but just not taste as pleasant as a well made cob.

During the fermentation we can use different starting humidities, different temperatures and different ferment times to alter the effects, flavours, colours and taste.

Traditionally the method uses sativas and the "sativaness" is improved. Ie, more clarity, euphoria and energy.
Unlike normal edibles you don't mong out after a few hours, you remain clear and focused; it feels a bit like coming up on Acid or Mandy.
The effects are so clear that one is able to do their normal tasks without it being noticeable to anyone else that your completely off your face!.

The effect when smoked is also improved in a positive way and is far smoother in a spliff or whatever.

The cobs improve with age but can be smoked after just 6 weeks but really need 3months before being eaten.

There is a good thread on here about it, but over on IC there is a huge one that is very active (Malawi style fermented cob) and Tangwena (cob master extraordinaire) hangs out on there, as do many other master cob makers.

Most people once they've tried cob are hooked.

Those guys over in Africa really knew what they were doing.

Apologies for rambling a bit but i'm coming up really hard look 0.45g of Golden Tiger cob. 😀

Edit: it's now 18hrs since I wrote this.
I forgot to press post! I was so high.
Bro you are welcome here anytime! You bring so much information on Sativas and Cobs that anyone following my thread would like to know. And I’m definitely going to try Cobs when I have the weed to make one. CL🍀 :welcome: :thanks::Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom