Using molasses during flush

Docee

Just wondering what are the thought on molasses during flush.... I am using GH nutes and in cocco. So will I still benefit even though I'm not growing in a soil or not using organic nutes
20191115_205350.jpg

Just wondering what are the thought on molasses during flush.... I am using GH nutes and in cocco. So will I still benefit even though I'm not growing in a soil or not using organic nutes
20191115_205350.jpg
Unless you are growing organically in soil, molasses is not that big of a deal. It is an old bro science tale that the molasses adds sweetness to your buds... in actuality it only adds a little bit of magnesium and sulfur. Assuming that you have all that in your GH nutes, the molasses is not adding much although its sugars will help to dissolve some of the salts that you are trying to wash away with your flush. So, its not a bad idea to use molasses in a flush... but but unless you are trying to feed microbes in an organic soil where molasses is the perfect food for them, it really isn't all its cracked up to be and its sticky sweetness can actually attract unwanted critters if you are not careful.

If you've been watering to run off there should be minimal salt buildup. I don't flush my Coco plants fwiw.

@Emilya I thought molasses killed insects that ate it? Too much sugar for their anatomy. Or did critters mean bigger furrier type?

I don't use molasses in any of my stuff but the question pops up a lot.

they do say that molasses is harmful to and a good way to get rid of aphids and other sucking type bugs... it raises the sugar level of the plants so high that the bugs can't feed off of them any more and taking the raw sugar in from the molasses is easier... and it is actually the wrong stuff for them... or something like that. I had a friend who sprayed molasses outside to deal with aphids, but then had to deal with the wasp invasion that resulted. Molasses has a lot of valid uses... but isn't the whole idea of coco so that the medium could remain pure and easily controlled? I have never understood trying to add in super organics like molasses and EWC to make the grow more "organic."
But anyway, that is not what our OP is asking... during a flush I don't see any downside to using molasses and several advantages. I think if you look into flushing products like Sledgehammer, you will see that this idea is not a new one. The Saponin used in that product is the sugar part of the yucca plant.

Thanks. Yea a wasp invasion would be a crummy trade.

but isn't the whole idea of coco so that the medium could remain pure and easily controlled? I

That's my understanding as well. It's supposed to be there to hold the roots and that's about it.

Back
Top Bottom