Using old roots from previous grow

Finnicki

I still have old roots from the previous autoflower in a 5 gallon airpot. Read things here and there about reusing those in a new grow. The new is a photoperiod. Anything beneficial if re using this? I use FFOF, FF Happy Frog, and perlite mixed in together. Thanks

@Finnicki , good morning and happy Sunday.

Wish I could be more help about your question, but I have always tossed my old roots and stem, though I can not imagine any harm being done to the soil or your new plant by having those old roots mixed in with the new grow medium.

Maybe you can consider making a grow journal so we all can follow along with your grow.

Take care me friend.
garybo

Soil in that airpot was surprisingly moist. Wasn’t a lot of roots in there but some. Will save this new grow’s roots for subsequent grows I’m sure.

Haven’t yet miss. It’s been sitting in my tent forgotten about ( I’m old ) for the past few months. Still in the dry soil. Is it still usable??
Yes, it's still usable :thumb: ...I usually put all my used soil, with the roots and all into several plastic garbage cans, and add Cannazym...and then I re-use the soil in about 30 to 40 days...forgot to add that I mix it up once a week

Taken from Google :passitleft:

What is CANNAZYM used for?

CANNAZYM is a high-quality enzyme product that speeds up the process of breaking down dead root material and activates beneficial micro-organisms. CANNAZYM also helps plants take up nutrients and increases the resistance against diseases. Enzymes are substances that speed up the reactions in living organisms.

I still have old roots from the previous autoflower in a 5 gallon airpot. Read things here and there about reusing those in a new grow. The new is a photoperiod. Anything beneficial if re using this?
It is all beneficial. As you and others have mentioned the roots will decompose and return to the soil that which the soil let us borrow for awhile during the previous growing cycle. Photoperiod or autoflower, it will not matter, plant roots are organic material.

Still in the dry soil. Is it still usable??
When the soil dries out some of the microbes and other organisms will die and some will go dormant and wait. Once the soil becomes moist again the survivors will bounce back and return to work helping break down all the organic material including the microbes that died earlier. The circle of life and all that ;).

There was a similar question regarding roots from the previous grow left in the soil just under two weeks ago. And, that gardener is using the same two soils as you. Short thread and the link is:
https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/re-use-soil.525801/post-5680428

Found a 2nd one in basement as well. Older, drier. Just waiting on the seedling to show me more roots in the cup. Then will go into the airpot. I’m still waiting on a seed in the Rapid Rooter to show life. Thanks for all the tips. Happy Holidazed. ( if I have any brownies left. Hohoho)

I still have old roots from the previous autoflower in a 5 gallon airpot. Read things here and there about reusing those in a new grow. The new is a photoperiod. Anything beneficial if re using this? I use FFOF, FF Happy Frog, and perlite mixed in together. Thanks
I myself do a no till application in a 4×8 bed I leave my old roots but in your case I'd probably remove them because you don't have enough room for new soil and compaction problems might occur or if say you had root rot or root knot nematodes or something on your last grow that you weren't aware of could cause problems down the road but I don't think it would be of much benefit to you to leave those in they'll just take up room for your reammended soil hope this helps good luck 🤞👍😎

Back
Top Bottom