Ventilation outlet query

jimbobdaz

Hi all, i recently changed from using a tent indoors to my recently refurbished garage... everything seems great but i would like to muffle the sound of the air from the outlet. The air is pushed out of the grow room into a cavity between the old garage door and a stud wall i built... my idea is to attach an old carbon filter to the outlet, would this work? If not, any suggestions from you grow geniuses here would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance :)

Silencers are available. My usual source has them in 4" and 6" sizes. It wouldn't be too hard to convert two old filters into a silencer. All you'd need is one of those egg crate style mattress pads. Strip out the abused carbon and inner screen, then insert the mattress pad.

Thanks for the reply Old Salt, so the carbon would need to be removed? why is that? ...air flow would be restricted as it's an pre used filter I guess

I don't know if the carbon needs to be removed. The egg crate mattress pad takes the place of the carbon in the commercially made silencer I have. The silencer has two flanges instead of the one on a filter. Here a couple of images:

full

6" Silencer

full

Inside the 6" Silencer

Ah I see what you mean, but aren't these silencers more for keeping down the sound of the fan rather than the sound of the air venting out of the grow room?

Thanks again Old Salt... as the noise level is pretty low anyway, 60% less would be perfect. I will look into getting a silencer or making modifications to my old filter :goodjob:

Back
Top Bottom