Volksball's First Grow: White Widow Feminized Grow Journal 2018

Hey guys,

I'm trying to stay the course as @Pennywise said, and letting these colas grow out a bit before flipping. The only problem I foresee happening is given the stretch that they'll experience at the flip, I might run out of vertical room. I have about 7 inches left of room above my light before I have no more slack to go up any further.

I imagine that this is a common problem? I had to raise up the lights to 22" from the tallest branch as I noticed a bit of cupping happening from my least healthy plant, who might have a bit of heat sensitivity. The other two seem happy. The plan was also to give the one plant time to grow stronger after her new nute dosage.

Should I continue to grow out the colas before the flip? Or in the interest of vertical space conservation, flip ASAP. Or is there another solution?

Thx.
Day 76.

If it were me I would switch to flowering. They will suck up that 7 inch's of space in no time . That bring said I have never grown a scrog.
That's what I was thinking is the only solution as well, for the same reasons. The scrog allowed me to veg longer, but anything above the scrog may as well not be scrogged. They're regular plants, growing upward. Was just trying to see if my intuition was correct.

Your white widow will double in size mabe a little more. From your previous picture you have a pretty solid looking scrog already.
Right. That's what I figured. Regardless, even if I flip today, I don't have the vertical space for them to double in size. If the plant is about a foot tall from medium to tip and they grow another foot, wont they be too close and be burnt by the HPS?

And they're flipped!

Did another round of defoling the under carriage and even took off a couple branches that would never make it up top. Hopefully that directs food to more useful places and I didn't unknowingly hurt them. From what I'm told, I have until day 21 of flower to keep trimming. Won't likely do another branch trim until the three week mark.

Buying a pedestal oscillating fan tomorrow to cool the canopy.

Good luck, ladies!

Day 76/1F.
Thx for the help today, everyone.

Attachments

• 20190209_214732.jpg
    20190209_214732.jpg
    574.3 KB · Views: 35
And they're flipped!

Did another round of defoling the under carriage and even took off a couple branches that would never make it up top. Hopefully that directs food to more useful places and I didn't unknowingly hurt them. From what I'm told, I have until day 21 of flower to keep trimming. Won't likely do another branch trim until the three week mark.

Buying a pedestal oscillating fan tomorrow to cool the canopy.

Good luck, ladies!

Day 76/1F.
Thx for the help today, everyone.

I wanna add in my .02cents here about defoliation.

During the first 2-3 weeks in flower you should NOT be doing defoliation. This is the time when the plant needs all of its energy and growth to expand. If your removing lower branches and trimming leaves all through stretch you will stress and minimize how much stretch you will actually get from your girls.

My process is to do a defoliation 1 week before flip. At this time I remove a bunch of big lower fans and thin the canopy out. After a week time the plants will have recovered and will be ready for flip. Once flipped I leave the plants ALONE until after they are done the stretch around day 21. At this time I then proceed to do another heavy defoliation and strip the bottom 1/3 of the plant of weak lower branches and insignificant Budsites that will never amount to anything. I then leave the plant go for another few weeks and do another defoliation around day 45. From this point on I only remove CANABALIZED leaves as the plant matures and closes in on harvest.

This again is only my opinion and how I do things! Here’s a few photos of my defoliation I just did yesterday on my flowering plants at day 21 of Flip.

These are BEFORE

These are AFTER

I hope this makes sense and if you have any questions don’t hesitate to give a shout out!!

I wanna add in my .02cents here about defoliation.

During the first 2-3 weeks in flower you should NOT be doing defoliation. This is the time when the plant needs all of its energy and growth to expand. If your removing lower branches and trimming leaves all through stretch you will stress and minimize how much stretch you will actually get from your girls.

My process is to do a defoliation 1 week before flip. At this time I remove a bunch of big lower fans and thin the canopy out. After a week time the plants will have recovered and will be ready for flip. Once flipped I leave the plants ALONE until after they are done the stretch around day 21. At this time I then proceed to do another heavy defoliation and strip the bottom 1/3 of the plant of weak lower branches and insignificant Budsites that will never amount to anything. I then leave the plant go for another few weeks and do another defoliation around day 45. From this point on I only remove CANABALIZED leaves as the plant matures and closes in on harvest.

This again is only my opinion and how I do things! Here’s a few photos of my defoliation I just did yesterday on my flowering plants at day 21 of Flip.

These are BEFORE

These are AFTER

I hope this makes sense and if you have any questions don’t hesitate to give a shout out!!
That makes perfect sense and thanks for posting that!

Do you think I've hurt the flowering process? Each plant lost a branch each that was out of contention to rise up and a number of leaves under that weren't seeing any sun. And here, I thought I was going to help the process. If there's one thing I can say, is that they have recovered quite quickly in past after defoliation and have already shown recovery since this time. That's not say that I have a clue of what I might have done to the early flowering process.

I'll keep the clippers away until day 21. Promise.

Your plant looks great! Even and full. I'll be picking your brain come the 3 week mark to see.

Thanks again, I'll take any advice I can get.

Day 77/2F.

It probably hasn’t hurt them to much if you haven’t stripped a lot off but any defoliation is stress to a plant be it minimal or a lot!

I don’t think they will be bothered much by it right now since it’s only day 2 but I would let them go until stretch is done now so they can strut their stuff and get their stretch on!

Glad that made sense to you! Your girls are looking happy and healthy so keep doing what your doing and let them grow a bit before another defoliation round!

Keep it up!

It probably hasn’t hurt them to much if you haven’t stripped a lot off but any defoliation is stress to a plant be it minimal or a lot!

I don’t think they will be bothered much by it right now since it’s only day 2 but I would let them go until stretch is done now so they can strut their stuff and get their stretch on!

Glad that made sense to you! Your girls are looking happy and healthy so keep doing what your doing and let them grow a bit before another defoliation round!

Keep it up!
Thank you, sir! If they are at all happy and healthy, Its a credit to alot of the good people on here, so thanks.

I'll keep posting so you all can have a look and keep steering me straight...

Thx again.

Hey everyone,

Checking on the girls today, I've noticed that they are growing at a torrid rate. The leaves have begun to pray up to the lights, so I've pulled the light up a few inches to about 23". I'm quickly running out of headroom. About 4" left.

I've added another tall oscillating fan to cool just above the canopy. The girls dance lightly as I have the upper three fans on low and the two below ocillating at the same speed. I there is some serious air moving around in there, but not too hard. Who'd have thought that I'd eventually have 7 fans going in this thing!?

If anyone has good techniques on how to stop my plants from touching the sun, I'll take em. Ha.

The tent is holding at 26c/62%.

Thx.

Day 78/3F

Attachments

• 20190211_202427.jpg
    20190211_202427.jpg
    923.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20190211_202600.jpg
    20190211_202600.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20190211_202717.jpg
    20190211_202717.jpg