Volksball's First Grow: White Widow Feminized Grow Journal 2018

So... forgive my brand newness, yellow photos and the 100-103rd photo I'm posting today, but, can anyone confirm that the ladies have sprouted pistils?

The lux meter came and I'm fiddling with it. Looks.like I should keep it on the 100x setting, which gives me a near 55k lux in the center, but it drops off to 24k on the edges. Those translate to 671 and 292 PPFD. A far cry from trying to get up to 1000. Must figure something out. I may crank back up to 1000w just to see what the values are there.

Thx.

Attachments

• 20190215_210008.jpg
    20190215_210008.jpg
    545.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20190215_205917.jpg
    20190215_205917.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20190215_205858.jpg
    20190215_205858.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 24
It is hard to tell thin new growth from pistils when it's all yellow, but on the plus side there are no signs of balls!
Ain't that the truth!

With the naked eye they're whitish little hairs that I've never seen before.

I'll see if I can get a morning shot again. Saturdays are tough for 7am and it's a long weekend here. Fam day. Is there any harm in the lights going out and opening the tent a moment or two later? Or should you be right there, on time?

Ain't that the truth!

With the naked eye they're whitish little hairs that I've never seen before.

I'll see if I can get a morning shot again. Saturdays are tough for 7am and it's a long weekend here. Fam day. Is there any harm in the lights going out and opening the tent a moment or two later? Or should you be right there, on time?
they can tolerate a little of this... just don't make it a regular thing.

they can tolerate a little of this... just don't make it a regular thing.

Gotcha. Thx. Since somewhere halfway through veg, I became fairly militant about it, so I think I naturally lean cautious.

On time is best, but if you're seeing white hairs coming out of the tops then you have pistils!
I see that you hash tagged that you don't flush. Ever? In the end? I'm starting to think of how I'll approach that.

At the end is what I mean, not corrective flushes mid-grow. And there is no scientific reason to flush a plant before harvest. That whole tastes-better-no-nute-flavor is bro-science. Buds don't uptake nutes. The plant uses the nutes to create the sugars that grow the buds. The dry and cure is what determines how smooth the smoke is and how it tastes.

https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/a-critical-look-at-preharvest-flushing.71685/
Fantastic article/post. It really explains things plainly. Thanks!

It's just science!

At the end is what I mean, not corrective flushes mid-grow. And there is no scientific reason to flush a plant before harvest. That whole tastes-better-no-nute-flavor is bro-science. Buds don't uptake nutes. The plant uses the nutes to create the sugars that grow the buds. The dry and cure is what determines how smooth the smoke is and how it tastes.

https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/a-critical-look-at-preharvest-flushing.71685/
OK... I am going to give you the one scientific reason to flush immediately prior to the last 2 week bud swell. The bud swell happens because the plant is able to uptake a massive amount of water at the end and turn it into good stuff. The plant already has all the nutes it needed to get to this point. The problem is accumulated salt in the medium. Weeks 5-6 are typically times of heavy nutes and prior to the final two weeks, lots of salt will have built up around the roots. Salts restricts water uptake. It is no more complicated than this. That final flush clears the salts and the roots for maximum water uptake at the end. Logic informs us that without this flush, a percentage of this uptake would not happen and the plants will be exactly that much less than they could have been. :peace::love:

OK... I am going to give you the one scientific reason to flush immediately prior to the last 2 week bud swell. The bud swell happens because the plant is able to uptake a massive amount of water at the end and turn it into good stuff. The plant already has all the nutes it needed to get to this point. The problem is accumulated salt in the medium. Weeks 5-6 are typically times of heavy nutes and prior to the final two weeks, lots of salt will have built up around the roots. Salts restricts water uptake. It is no more complicated than this. That final flush clears the salts and the roots for maximum water uptake at the end. Logic informs us that without this flush, a percentage of this uptake would not happen and the plants will be exactly that much less than they could have been. :peace::love:
Thanks for that, Emilya! It's great to hear the directly opposing argument to properly make an evaluation.

Hi again,

@Emilya, you mentioned that so long that there isnt a light leak brighter than the moon, the girls should be fine while in bloom. I've covered my basement windows with cardboard and taped the edges. As much tape as I apply, there are faint light leaks coming in from the edges of the cardboard. Picture light leaking around fairly snug cardboard, filtering through red Tuck Tape. If I go down to the basement, I can see the light at some of the window edges, but largely cant see my way around. Fairly dark. The windows are about 25-20' from the tent. My only concern is, I have two lower vents open on the tent to reduce some humidity and one of them faces the windows. They are at the bottom of the tent near the floor and are mesh openings that measure 18" x 3".

I dont think there is too much concern, but does that sound concerning?

Thx

but does that sound concerning?
no, just because of physics. In order to get to the plants leaves, any light that might happen to come in those lower vents would have to make several 90° turns to get there. There is no way that enough light could get to where it could do any harm from those flaps. Besides all that, it sounds pretty dark in there anway. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

no, just because of physics. In order to get to the plants leaves, any light that might happen to come in those lower vents would have to make several 90° turns to get there. There is no way that enough light could get to where it could do any harm from those flaps. Besides all that, it sounds pretty dark in there anway. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Great. Thanks for that.

Again, its just science!

Hi again,

@Emilya, you mentioned that so long that there isnt a light leak brighter than the moon, the girls should be fine while in bloom. I've covered my basement windows with cardboard and taped the edges. As much tape as I apply, there are faint light leaks coming in from the edges of the cardboard. Picture light leaking around fairly snug cardboard, filtering through red Tuck Tape. If I go down to the basement, I can see the light at some of the window edges, but largely cant see my way around. Fairly dark. The windows are about 25-20' from the tent. My only concern is, I have two lower vents open on the tent to reduce some humidity and one of them faces the windows. They are at the bottom of the tent near the floor and are mesh openings that measure 18" x 3".

I dont think there is too much concern, but does that sound concerning?

Thx
I made some filters for my openings. I found some blue filter material at the local hardware store and doubled it up. Helps keep the light out while letting the plants get more ventilation. Fairly cheap and works great.

Back
Top Bottom