Watering in solo cup

fatbuds420

Is it ok to water by weight in a solo cup, if so how much?

If I have a 70g solo cup, should I water to 90g and water when it's down to 75?

you should water to 450g, and wait to water again until it is down to 75 or so. The wet/dry cycle... it is a good thing.
Thats would kill a Seedling.... I've killed seedlings with far far less water, it doesn't have a root system, soaking it would destroy it

Thats would kill a Seedling.... I've killed seedlings with far far less water, it doesn't have a root system, soaking it would destroy it
not even remotely true. I do it all the time. Saturate that soil once the seedling has established itself, or doesn't swim around when you water. Then, wait for the plant to use all of that water before you water again. I didn't say keep that soil wet... it will take 5-7 days the first time for that plant to use that water, and every time you cycle through a wet/dry cycle, the roots get bigger and stronger and better able to use that water, and the time between waterings will steadily drop, until it gets to the point the plant can drain all of that water in ONE day... and then it is time to uppot to a container 3x as big as a solo cup, to start this wet/dry cycle all over again.

not even remotely true. I do it all the time. Saturate that soil once the seedling has established itself, or doesn't swim around when you water. Then, wait for the plant to use all of that water before you water again. I didn't say keep that soil wet... it will take 5-7 days the first time for that plant to use that water, and every time you cycle through a wet/dry cycle, the roots get bigger and stronger and better able to use that water, and the time between waterings will steadily drop, until it gets to the point the plant can drain all of that water in ONE day... and then it is time to uppot to a container 3x as big as a solo cup, to start this wet/dry cycle all over again.
Wouldn't that stun an auto?

I agree once the Seedling is established like u said, however I have issues when it's getting established...

Have you read my watering article on how to properly water? It has helped many many growers of weeds figure out how best to water, why pH is important, and why we uppot successively. Check it out in my links on my first posting to your thread.
Yep I read it many times

Wouldn't that stun an auto?

I agree once the Seedling is established like u said, however I have issues when it's getting established...
why would water, the most common element on the earth, stun an auto? Use a mister for the first 3 days after a plant has hit the surface. Mist the soil lightly a couple of times a day. By this time the tap root will have hit the bottom of that cup and started to circle at the bottom, and you will find that with this anchor in place, the plant no longer tends to swim when you water. At this point, it is appropriate to water slowly so that you saturate the soil to runoff. Water does not harm plants if used correctly. Water the soil to runoff and then sit on your hands for 5 days, and let the plant use all of that water. This is what kills so many young plants with new growers of weeds... they are unable to wait 5 days without puttering with their plant, and watering it again. Watering too often is what stunts and kills plants... not watering correctly.

Yep I read it many times
Reading it and following its advice are two different things. Water properly to runoff, trying to make the outer edges the wettest places in the cup. Establish a wet/dry cycle. Rapid growth will ensue.

why would water, the most common element on the earth, stun an auto? Use a mister for the first 3 days after a plant has hit the surface. Mist the soil lightly a couple of times a day. By this time the tap root will have hit the bottom of that cup and started to circle at the bottom, and you will find that with this anchor in place, the plant no longer tends to swim when you water. At this point, it is appropriate to water slowly so that you saturate the soil to runoff. Water does not harm plants if used correctly. Water the soil to runoff and then sit on your hands for 5 days, and let the plant use all of that water. This is what kills so many young plants with new growers of weeds... they are unable to wait 5 days without puttering with their plant, and watering it again. Watering too often is what stunts and kills plants... not watering correctly.

Reading it and following its advice are two different things. Water properly to runoff, trying to make the outer edges the wettest places in the cup. Establish a wet/dry cycle. Rapid growth will ensue.
still tho my question remains, because i fucked up even watering little. so i wanna do it by weighting, so. say i have 70g of dirt. i water up to what? 85? 90? and then when do i water again? (we talking about when i've just transplanted from the paper towel to solo cup)

look at my article on how much water a solo cup of soil will hold. 438grams, fully saturated. This is after establishment.

For now, while you are still waiting on your seedling to establish, please follow my advice to spray or mist some water onto the surface a couple of times a day. I have never weighed it at this point, so I can't tell you how much weight is added. Do it a couple of times a day... 3 if you like... there are no rules. Know that the roots will chase the water... so make sure some of it goes right down below the plant, right down to the bottom. It would be very difficult to use too much water, if not impossible.

We are talking 3 days of "winging" it, with a sprayer... and then you have a great system lined up in front of you to water by weight, to saturation, and then not water again until all but 70g of that water has been used up. I can't be any more detailed that this. The system works well, and I invite you to look at the explosive growth of my current plants when they were in the seedling stage, following this exact procedure. My last 2 journals document my watering practices all the way through the grow, and especially at the start.

Back
Top Bottom