Solo cup seedling knocked out of cup, how to save?

jokerlola

Came home to a disaster. Found Solo cup knocked on floor with it and potting soil and seedling out of cup. I scooped it back up and repotted into Solo cup ASAP. Soil was moist since I had just watered it to full saturation this morning since the 2nd set of true leaves came out. I don't really like how I repotted it but I don't want to keep fooling around with it. How have others here handled something like this?

As long as you got the roots all the way back into the cup and covered with soil, the plant will take care of the rest.
Pretty much all that there is to it for 100% success.

Most plants of any type will survive similar situations with nothing more than being put back into the soil. They might slow down for a day or two but they recover and keep on going.

Pretty much all that there is to it for 100% success.

Most plants of any type will survive similar situations with nothing more than being put back into the soil. They might slow down for a day or two but they recover and keep on going.

So far the seedling looks OK today. This mishap did allow me to repot it further up the stem to fix the legginess. This situation is going to finally get me to ditch the Solo cups and invest in some proper seedling pots. Solo cups (especially the Walmart brand) have too narrow of a bottom which makes them easy to tip over even with the slightest breeze or bump, especially when the soil is saturated with water.

This situation is going to finally get me to ditch the Solo cups and invest in some proper seedling pots.

,Just go to your local nursery/Home Depot/Lowes, etc. and get the 3 or 4" cups they use for vegetable seedlings, they'll probably give them to you. They're made for seedlings, already have drainage holes, they're opaque, and they basically last forever.

,Just go to your local nursery/Home Depot/Lowes, etc. and get the 3 or 4" cups they use for vegetable seedlings, they'll probably give them to you. They're made for seedlings, already have drainage holes, they're opaque, and they basically last forever.
Yeah, I think that will be the best way to go. I'm also interested in trying the "Rootmaker" pots: (The RootMaker System | ROOTMAKER) (RootMaker)

That's an interesting concept except they need a holder or tray to sit in.

Dr.Carl Whitcomb who developed them has some interesting videos on youtube about root building for trees but I think it can be applied to cannabis or most any plant as well.

Dr.Carl Whitcomb who developed them has some interesting videos on youtube about root building for trees but I think it can be applied to cannabis or most any plant as well.
It could well be applicable, and I haven't seen the video, but with trees you have years to build roots, with pot, you have weeks/months.

It could well be applicable, and I haven't seen the video, but with trees you have years to build roots, with pot, you have weeks/months.
The concept is about building dense roots in tree seedlings in the first weeks of tree growth from seed and he says this applies to all plants so I think it could be applicable to cannabis. Here is one of his videos:

So since my plant falling, it's still alive but I think it's stunted. It's 10 days old now. I'm trying to decide whether to water it or not. It's been 4 days since last full water and since it fell. the dry cup is 95 gram and it's at 136 gram. Also based on number of true leaves, I should be feeding it now, correct?

So since my plant falling, it's still alive but I think it's stunted. It's 10 days old now. I'm trying to decide whether to water it or not. It's been 4 days since last full water and since it fell. the dry cup is 95 gram and it's at 136 gram. Also based on number of true leaves, I should be feeding it now, correct?
Kinda hard to say. We don't know how much water was used nor how how full the Solo Cup is with soil. Soil mixes vary and some can hold onto more water than others. Some evaporate faster.

If the seedling is not wilting it should be getting enough water so far.

OK I am posting this twice... anyway, I use 2" pots for the new seedlings, and then transplant to 1 gal after about 5 days, when they are 2-3" tall.

... here's something I wrote recently about the young seedling phase... click here. I would add also that I bury the stem when I up pot to 1 gal, leaving 1" of stem above the soil. I hope this helps, and happy growing!

Back
Top Bottom