Watering - it confused me

AudioBassiks

ok so i though that i knew nothing but watering but i was right i always read these grow journals and when watering feeding is mentined some say every day some say every other day ,, some say a little some say too the water runs out... i dont know what too do or when to water,,,, if i am doing it right i dont know help .... so when i first was watering just water, i was giving each plant about 8oz of water and like ever 3 days i would say .. i never had water come out the bottom... then i heard water to it runs off.. this too me is a shit tone of water makes to be like 24oz of water a plant.. i try to do by if the dirt is dry oor not i note that the top 1/2 inch or so is dry then the soil gets darker but still seems dry,, i figure the soil under this is still moist? cant go lower cuz with roots and all ...

so ppretty much i am high and ramble so the question is how much how often would a normal water cycle be? and how much will watering/feeding change from diffrent lights

Re: Watering,,, it confused me

Hi mate,
There is no normal as every persons girls are different in a different environment.

People who grow is soil usually dont get run off. Whereas people growing in coco water until runoff to flush out unused salt build up in the medium.

Watering everyday is only necercery when the plants are big and drinking that much. Usually in flower. At the start of mine it was one every 5 days in small pot then went to every 10 days in a bigger pot, but as they got bigger they required more water so it came down to needing to every 2 days or they drooped.

If you start small it gives the roots a chance to go find the water which builds big root mass. If you start wet the roots will always stay small.

One of the biggest noob fails in growing is over watering/care. They prefer a drier day to a wetter day. The trick is if your in soil then water when the pot is light to lift so you know all the water is gone as sticking your finger in doesnt test the whole medium.

Mine did better the less I watered then as they grew fast they needed a lot more giving mor opertunities to feed resulting in healthier plants. Also if the medium isnt mega wet all the time its easier to spot defficiencys as they aren't water related and just need food.

I have a good journal on watering and feeding organic soils linked below which has more info on watering, its the "Super Soil" one . I think it could give you a better idea with pictures to prove it works.

Just dont over water and the only problem will be , you need to water. Over water and you will have all sorts of problems.

What Beiber said was on spot. So I will just add a little.

The time to water is simply when the soil is dry. Not like bone dry in the desert dry, but the step right before that where a few more hours it would get there but its not there yet.

Some people only water once a week, others multiple times a day. It really depends on your humidity, the temps, what kind of medium, how much medium is there, the plants and probably a few other factors. This is why the only real answer is water when its dry. Keep in mind when a plant gets bigger it drinks more, so while a few weeks ago maybe you only had to water every 5 days, now the plant might need daily waterings.

A good watering at the right time is what makes big strong plants, or dead shitty plants. Keep an eye on them and you will get a feel for it soon enough.

I suggest now watering right now until a few of the leaves begin to droop. Don't wait until they all droop that wouldnt be optimal. But wait until you see one of two droop from being thirsty, take note of how long that was from that point and your last watering. Then water the fuck out of it.

Next time you can water a bit sooner then you did before so as to let them dry pretty nice but not let them get to the droop phase.

this is what i am trying to figure out,,, the droop thats what i am trying to figure out.. like right now the top is dry but if you mix it up a little bit you see its still mosit but i dont noticed and plant change

Yeah man look at my pics in the journal. Many of them youll notice the soil looks bone dry. TBH it can look like that sometimes and still not need water for a good 3-4 days still.

a PH meter liek you get at home depot for 10 bucks that you just stick in the soil will also have a moisture meter.

However like I said you can just keep a good eye on your plants and you will see some leaves start to droop (usually its bottom leaves first) Once you see it you know approx how long it takes before the soil is really dry.

Any hps lighting will require more water. Try an remember how light UR pot was when u first planted lift UR pot they should be prett light when it's time. An remember less is always best when not sure specially wit nutes an watering learn UR girls watch em they will tell u gotta know wat they saying.

Theirs lots of good advice already written.

As already mentioned every bodys grow is mildly different due to grow room temperature, moisture evapouration/use by plant depending on stage of growth to pot size used this ultimately leads to as & when watering is required !

But one must learn his or hers growing enviroment to judge suitable times to water for some of the above reasons :thumb:

The key is not to over water all the time as to keep the soil/compost saturated with water as this will lead to root rot... but to keep it moist & water before it becomes to dry that the girls will wilt.

Some pointers :high-five:

Learn to guage the weight of the potted plant when watered & when dry or drying out over a few days or more depending on stage of plant growth... a light weight pot suggests watering is needed.

Smaller pot sizes dry out quicker when compared to larger size pots as these hold more moisture/water... plant size effects watering also, smaller plants use less water than larger plants.

I don't always go for the finger inserted into the growing medium to gauge mosture content... but can be useful.

As if using a 3 gallon pot & you find the surface dry up to a depth of 5cm/2" doesn't mean its dryed out at the base or even half way down... this may mean you may have a couple of more days before watering is required tho !

Sometimes if the plant is in a suitable size potted & well rooted, i gentle lift the plant out complete with soil/compost attached to which you can quite clearly see the moisture level with in the growing medium to darker/lighter colouring of soil/compost.

In real life ol fuzzy looks after a couple of victorian style glass house's, polly tunnel & veg/herb garden... i have to deal with watering of several thousand plants of a few dozern species of plants in different stages of growth depending on season.

From seedling germination, young plants to maturing for whole sale or for planting out & exotics such as orchids, bromalides & such each & every species requires a different maintance level for watering... complete with understanding of seasonal needs :thumb:

Its a daily headache :love:

So ye learn ya growing enviroment, become intune with it & understand its needs through the changes of life cycle of plant you choose to grow for the greater experience...

Its like forming a personal relationship & learning each others needs... :Namaste:

Any hps lighting will require more water. Try an remember how light UR pot was when u first planted lift UR pot they should be prett light when it's time. An remember less is always best when not sure specially wit nutes an watering learn UR girls watch em they will tell u gotta know wat they saying.
ANyway "mr Blow" i am finding that the opposite is true for my situation. I am having to water less rather than more. Any ideas to point me in a direction will be welcomed. any ideas as to what this may mean? thanks

I mean when something is broke try an fix it if UR plants react Well in their environment u don't have a problem,but wat u r saying u r running hps an r using less water not sure need more detail but if u r not having trouble hell stick wit wat u got. But flowering plants will require more underr hps. Also wanna say I'm just trying to help not a no it all just giving my experience wit certain topics I don't know it all but for the love of this game I try to teach an learn. So give me somemore info an lets trouble shoot together all of us an we will get to the bottom of UR pots. An that's blowalot goathead

!0-4 mr "blow". When I have a problem I will definately hit u up. I like to fill my cranial cavity so I am able to ponder whilst I am in among the girlies. I think about info and when somethin happens which it inevitably does. I am less inclined to react (knee jerk) wrong. I agree that if it ain't broke do not F>>> it up! 10-4 and roger that! I am learnin my friend I was to blessed tired last year to think,ask ponder , or much else I bit off way more than i could chew and suffered the consequence of missing out on informotion retention. I had 6 months of hell on earth alone with on hell of huge 72 plant first time garden. 9 strains in total. lost my mind now I have to go back and learn what I missed from books,people,web sites,etc. most said I'd fail. fucked up the balance cause i did not! Then all wanted to be my bro's, later dude's is all I learned. I did work and had lil to no help minus my ol' lady midnight rompin in garden. lucky she was there to keep me sane! hehe

Say g-head thanks for reply was not sure how to take other message an it's start, but I'm reading positivity now so happy growing an will do all I can to help. So for everyone this is me their r no dumb questions just sometimes alot of dumb answers

Back
Top Bottom