Watering Techniques

just starting

I am going to change the subject from lighting to the types of watering techniques that people use. I started off with just watering each plant with gallon jugs but then moved on to flood watering. I made a set up that is like a water bed frame and just caulked all the sides and corners and used something like flex seal to roll on the plywood and get a good seal. I used only 2 inch legs to hold it because my ceiling is short. I have two of these that are 8x8 in my basement. I do place a plastic liner in just to keep it clean and easier to just throw out the plastic and put a new one in after each grow. I use pots that have holes in the bottoms of them or you can just drill them out. I place coffee filters on the inside to cover each hole that keeps the soil in your pot yet still allows the water to be absorbed through the holes. I dump around 10 gallons in each one and they are absorbed very slowly that actually last longer so you dont have to water them all the time. I would like to hear from people and their ways of watering. I thought this might help some people out.

would love to see some pics.

I just finished my grow I will send pictures of everything on my next grow with the pots in them and everything set up. but it really does make life easier. but you do need a lot of space for this set up. I have a empty basement. maybe a short video of me watering them or something. It is really easy to make. Just use a 4x8 sheet of ply wood and put four legs on it or just keep it flat on the floor and water proof it. This does not take up as much room.

Hi, I use 15 gallon pots with Sunshine #4 Peat. I have trays at the bottom that hold 1 gallon Imperial and 2-3 times a week I water from the bottom with full strength nutes a gallon at a time, which at flower has an EC of 2000 micro seimens, or 1000 ppm. Once a week I dilute my nutes by half or more, and then water from the top with 2 gallons. This gives me a few days before I have to water from the bottom again, and hopefully clears any trapped or isolated pockets of nutrients. My first grow I watered from the bottom only and then when I had to go on a trip I heavily watered from the top and burned all my plants! This doesn't happen anymore. Here's some pix of my happy girls, more in my journals if your interested.

I went out in the garage and took pictures of the smaller version of this set up and the pots I use. You can use these smaller types any where. I made about six of these smaller ones when I first started this type of watering. you can make them the size that fits your grow space.

Attachments

• 20191229_110739.jpg
    20191229_110739.jpg
    690.3 KB · Views: 56
i see. it's like a SWICK setup.

Here are some buds from my last grow.
nice n' chubby :thumb:
i just moved from coco dtw to hempy. i guess hempy is quite similar as it also used some wicking action. loving it so far.

I am probably the person that does the least for his plants but have great out comes. I use fox farm soil and start off with small pots then transplant them as needed. Just about two weeks before I switch them to flower I put them in big pots. So far this has worked great for me.

Attachments

• 20191214_213039(0).jpg
    20191214_213039(0).jpg
    501 KB · Views: 61
I've gotten lazy over the years. I go from a inch cube rock wool clone, to a gallon pot till the plant overhangs the edges, then straight to a 15 gallon. I found that constant pot changing really didn't gain me anything but a sore back! I cut a rootball in half once that had been transplanted 3 times, the bottom of the pot roots from the first two pots did not grow down into the new soil. Instead, the plant sent out roots from the top toward the sides which then went down to the bottom and spread out across the bottom leaving a rootless void below the former plant bottoms. I had a pix that showed this but can't find it!

Is it ok that the leaves are starting to turn up like that? I'm curious, not saying there is a problem.

Is it ok that the leaves are starting to turn up like that? I'm curious, not saying there is a problem.
yeah, they're happy.

yeah, they're happy.

Damn! When my girls start looking like that, I always thought I was feeding too much, so I would back off. Thanks for the response! I'll know better next time!

Back
Top Bottom