Weed Humidor?

Back in the cigar craze era i had a humidor, i had anywhere from 50-100 cigars. I remember how great they still smelled after being in there a couple years, and how they actually smelled better over time.

Other than the mason jars ( which i actually like ) does anyone own a Pot Humidor
Well, I don't know a lot about humidors, but I know one thing a lot of growers/smokers do now days is to use Boveda humidity-control packs. They're basically just paper bags with some kind of gelatin and water mixture in them that absorbs and releases moisture in order to keep a small space within a certain relative humidity. The most popular offering is their 62% one, but they also have a few other ranges from like 55 up to 70 something if I remember correctly. A lot of people throw them into their instrument cases or things like that too. Could probably make a low-tech humidor with some of those I'm guessing; I do believe they have a market for cigars as well.

Now as far as drying weed goes, there's a lot of people who say that you don't want to let your weed dry too quickly, or let it fall below a certain humidity range. So I put together a large tupperware tote with bamboo skewers going through it to hang buds on, and I attached ducting to that along with a fan controlled by a humidistat--which is basically like a thermostat, but for humidity. So the fan will be either shut off or turned on in order to keep the relative humidity in the drying box at 55% - 62%. Still I don't think that's a humidor, but I'm sure the idea could be adapted with a small PC fan and the same device.

Side note: You might have wondered why the arbitrary 62%? Boveda supposedly consulted a lot of people in the weed growing world, scientists, blah blah and said that was the best number to store it at to maintain its integrity, but also avoid mold growth or the like. A couple of years ago they came out with an updated offering of a 58% pack at the urging of some pot enthusiasts, but it hasn't really gained popularity over the 62% line. I still use the 62% because they've got a pretty good reputation and have the best deals. I just watch my jars pretty closely, and don't put too much into a jar for one pack. The other thing is that they don't actually REDUCE moisture very well. So if you throw half-wet weed into a jar with one, it's really not going to dry it out that much. I think that's where people were getting the mold issues.

This may be heresy, but I like mine dry. I use the 62% for storage but I let my buds set out for an hour at least. At that point, I can turn it into a smokable form (for me) with my finger and thumb. At 62% it just doesn't burn as I prefer (I hate bud that one has to keep a flame on constantly because it's not dry enough), but as you point out the 62's "have the best deals" and I doubt 58% would be dry enough for me either.

This may be heresy, but I like mine dry. I use the 62% for storage but I let my buds set out for an hour at least. At that point, I can turn it into a smokable form (for me) with my finger and thumb. At 62% it just doesn't burn as I prefer (I hate bud that one has to keep a flame on constantly because it's not dry enough), but as you point out the 62's "have the best deals" and I doubt 58% would be dry enough for me either.

Sure, makes all the sense in the world, store it properly, and prepare it for smoking, two completely different operations :0)

I had troubles this year with too dry. I never knew I had created my own drying chamber the way I normally dry. Found out when that place was full and I had to use another. Plants dried in 3 days and don't burn worth a F**k. Normal place runs around 45%. That is about the best I can get without mechanical measures.. Highs get around 50% but normally it ran from 40 to 45%. Everything is now drying lots better. Or dried that was a couple weeks ago LOL.

I have a question. Will those boveda packs help the weed that dried too fast?

I had troubles this year with too dry. I never knew I had created my own drying chamber the way I normally dry. Found out when that place was full and I had to use another. Plants dried in 3 days and don't burn worth a F**k. Normal place runs around 45%. That is about the best I can get without mechanical measures.. Highs get around 50% but normally it ran from 40 to 45%. Everything is now drying lots better. Or dried that was a couple weeks ago LOL.

I have a question. Will those boveda packs help the weed that dried too fast?
In my past experience with them, they won't really help restore any flavor or aroma that was lost, but they'll re-moisten the weed pretty well. So I guess if them being too dry makes it too harsh, or it's too crumbly they will help that. But one the flavor/aroma is gone, it's gone.

Sure, makes all the sense in the world, store it properly, and prepare it for smoking, two completely different operations :0)
That's my approach; since I doubt 58% would be dry enough AND it appears that the market has determined that 62% is optimum versus the 58% I really don't want to experiment (and possibly "ruin" some jars) so I'm sticking with the 62%.

I was just hoping for a better burn. It dried to fast but isn't really harsh. Still has decent flavor so I guess I won't mess with it. I am pretty critical of everything I grow. I have so little to bitch about this harvest. Maybe I am searching for things that just aren't there.

Back
Top Bottom