Well here we go

MactheHoople

420 Member
My brothers and sisters,
My name is Kelly, a 60-year old retired/disabled U.S. Navy Sonarman, sometime photo-journalist, and a 6th grade school teacher on a long sabbatical until I can get my body fixed...again.

I'm growing for the first time. Candy Cane, Northern Lights, and Early Miss.

I choice these for their ease of growing and, hopefully, their resistance to mold as I live on the central Oregon Coast in the Siuslaw Forest and it's a rainy, damp place most of the time - except right now...it's 73 degrees and beautiful.

It's my intent to grow them outside but I'm wary as we have lots of pine trees - duh - and I do not want the soil pH to get out-of-wack.
I just found out the community well water has a pH of about 8.0 and full of natural salts which, I find in my research, will kill most plants so I'll be using creek water instead.

I'd appreciate any helpful insights if any of y'all have thoughts on growing in such a wet environment.

Cheers to all,
Kel

Welcome MactheHoople,
You’ve come to the right place. People here are very enthusiastic about what we do and are willing to help. For growing outdoors start here:
Outdoor Growing
You’re definitely on the right track about not using your well water and being weary of your acidic soil. You’ll probably have to dig some holes or get some large pots. Pots would be good as they can be moved to get them out of the rain or protect them from the colder nights in the fall.
Read as much as you can. You’ll pick up a lot through fellow members discussions. In the end it’ll be up to you to compile everything and figure else what works best for you in your situation.
I’m sure someone else will chime in with some more info but if you need any help don’t be afraid to ask.

I don't think enough people have jumped on and welcomed you to our little virtual village :welcome:

I'm sure now that I have, a load of people will. (I'm followed by a lot of people, mostly because I'm the village idiot <---- self-titled).

Stick around and participate. You belong here, and soon you will part of the group like anyone else. Ordering seeds just because.

We like new people.......don't be shy.

Hello Macthe Hopple.

Are you second cousin twice removed to Mott the Hopple? LOL just kidding.

There are a few ways to better control the environment for soil outdoors. Huge fiber pots will allow you to put better soil from a local garden show to use. To cut down on a fiber pot expense fabric shops have extra thick felt that can be staked up in your grow area and filled. Serves the same purpose, to prune the roots.

If you have access to electricity in your outdoor grow area a large light-proof reservoir would help with storing water and testing your pH prior to watering.

Just some thoughts. ES

Back
Top Bottom