Wembley

I was quoted $18k by a company to add 4ft of depth and 12ft of width to my deck.

I looked at ol boy and asked him flat out, “y’all don’t really want to do it, huh?”

He was shocked. I said, “Look, bub, we’re talking a retail price of $3k for materials to replace the entire thing, let alone just adding on. You want to tell me that $over 15k of that is labor? I think you better leave now.”

Man he was insulted and pissed.

Turned around and got a way better company to come do it. Well, to put me on their schedule at least, which will be coming up in the next 6 weeks or so. They were back out a couple weeks ago to finalize measurements so they could draw up plans for the HOA (fuckers) and the city permit. Full tear out and replace for $8k.

I’ve had to wait, but worth it. This guy does amazing wood work, and can build the shit out of stuff. Just 2 guys, so maybe that’s the deal on the labor, I don’t know. Honestly I don’t care. Work is good, price is fair.

I was quoted $18k by a company to add 4ft of depth and 12ft of width to my deck.

I looked at ol boy and asked him flat out, “y’all don’t really want to do it, huh?”

He was shocked. I said, “Look, bub, we’re talking a retail price of $3k for materials to replace the entire thing, let alone just adding on. You want to tell me that $over 15k of that is labor? I think you better leave now.”

Man he was insulted and pissed.

Turned around and got a way better company to come do it. Well, to put me on their schedule at least, which will be coming up in the next 6 weeks or so. They were back out a couple weeks ago to finalize measurements so they could draw up plans for the HOA (fuckers) and the city permit. Full tear out and replace for $8k.

I’ve had to wait, but worth it. This guy does amazing wood work, and can build the shit out of stuff. Just 2 guys, so maybe that’s the deal on the labor, I don’t know. Honestly I don’t care. Work is good, price is fair.
About 10 years ago we did a bunch of stuff to the house, including a new AC. Lowes came back with $18000. We had it done for 7k. Its just unbelievable that they would anally rape their customers like that. So, the guy that did it ended up putting in all the mechanicals in the attic giving us a nice big closet. I wonder how many people just hand over the money without shopping for quotes. My wife is a procurement manager, she makes sure I get at least 3 quotes or I hear about it. Not many people with a budget are willing to give up 10 grand, but i fear most will never know any better. Home depot is the same way. They quoted the windows and doors. These companies obviously don't do the work, they just pad the bill. Sad

Typically, yeah. Except it was the company doing the work that was padding. I always go direct. Feck that noise going through HD/Lowes/Etc.

Shoot a message to that ol boy running the happy cola grow thread under growroom setups. He’s also an HVAC guy, and may be able to help.

Shoot a message to that ol boy running the happy cola grow thread under growroom setups. He’s also an HVAC guy, and may be able to help.
Good to know thanks!

I placed an order with Lowes last night for 10 pony clamps, and the necessary pipe, a random orbit sander, a Bosch table saw, and a few other things. Most of it I needed to pick up at a local store. I got a call this morning regarding the order. They only had 1 pipe, 1 type of sand paper (the other grits would be shipped). But no table saw. The computer said they had a few but reality said otherwise. She then said they had some in another store. I called them and the girl told me she couldn't find it in the computer, AND they did't sell them. I told her about the online order and the store in Fontana but it didnt matter. So I canceled the order.

New plan is wait 10 days for everything to show up. The wood is strapped to my banister in the livingroom for now. I like the idea of buying everything in one place. It just didn't work out this time. You really can't blame the virus for a poor physical inventory, or training.

Ok, I'm done. Gonna roll one and chill

If you want an interesting read into trying to go big or go home... that's one for ya.
I could say screw it and negate the AC all together by adding a CO2 generator! Run it at 97, boom done!

You really can't blame the virus for a poor physical inventory, or training.

Holy hell you hit one of my pet peeves. Shit isn't hard. Order shit, you know how many you got, take one out of inventory when it's scanned for purchase and the purchase is complete.

Best Buy, Lowe's, Menards, Home Depot... the list goes on and on of places that can't get basic shit right.

Holy hell you hit one of my pet peeves. Shit isn't hard. Order shit, you know how many you got, take one out of inventory when it's scanned for purchase and the purchase is complete.

Best Buy, Lowe's, Menards, Home Depot... the list goes on and on of places that can't get basic shit right.
I can't believe the theft rate is so high that they can't get it a little closer. No one does a physical inventory anymore, might do some good.

That’s probably what they blame it on, however when it says 10 in stock and it’s an item under lock/key? Sheeeeeeet. Get outta here with that “we’re out” shit.

That’s probably what they blame it on, however when it says 10 in stock and it’s an item under lock/key? Sheeeeeeet. Get outta here with that “we’re out” shit.
I just want my tablesaw

A tradesman has the right to make a fare wage for there work. Its when they want to get rich off you that pisses me off. Here the construction industry pretty much runs on subcontracting. That's what Lowe's home Depot all those big box stores do. Also a lot of construction companies roofing companies are bad for that. They get the job they take their cut and they subcontracted out. So whoever is doing the job it's to their advantage to get in and out of there as fast as possible and on to the next. One of the reasons I've got out of construction industry I don't like to do shaby work.

A tradesman has the right to make a fare wage for there work. Its when they want to get rich off you that pisses me off. Here the construction industry pretty much runs on subcontracting. That's what Lowe's home Depot all those big box stores do. Also a lot of construction companies roofing companies are bad for that. They get the job they take their cut and they subcontracted out. So whoever is doing the job it's to their advantage to get in and out of there as fast as possible and on to the next. One of the reasons I've got out of construction industry I don't like to do shaby work.
I wish you lived 2000 miles closer. Haha

Then there's that little thing I mentioned before where they won't let me in the USA:(
Wear a mustache.

Dude have you seen the monkeys that guard our boarders? The TSA? I few into Newark a couple years back. HO-LEE SHIT.

just be sure to bring your own tablesaw. Its a BYOTS operation.

Back
Top Bottom