What kind of bug is this?

jokerlola

What kind of bug? Is it a Thrip? Found a smaller branch suddenly show a lot of dead, brown leaves and healthy-ish leaves with these bugs. Trichomes on some buds of this branch have been munched and also some have turned pre-maturely amber. I cut the branch off. Gave it a good spray with the hose and hung it to dry. So far the rest of the plant looks OK. I would say I'm about 2 weeks from harvest of this outdoor Silver Mountain plant.

S20211009_004.jpg

It doesn’t look quite right for thrip, but it could be a kind I’ve never seen before. What does the damage look like. Thrips don’t normally take chunks of leaves, their damage look more like the kind of damage a spider mite does, stippling of the leaves, small yellow spots.
The leaves just looked like they dried up and died from the tips on down, kind of like nitrogen burn. There wasn't the damage on them that spider mites do. They did a lot of damage to the trichomes on the buds. The leaves where I saw the bugs still looked healthy except for the dying of the tips.

I had what I thought was bud rot on one bud that showed similar leaf damage that nust have been caused by these bugs too.

It is an aphid, they can do a lot of damage left unchecked.
I think I caught it just in time. I cut the affected branch off and can't find evidence with my USB scope of any other infestation on this plant or my other plants. I examine my plants thoroughly every morning and the initial damage just looked like the normal yellowing and dying of leaves near harvest. I wasn't until I was checking the trichomes for ripeness that I saw the damaged trichomes and then found a couple of the bugs. I was only able to find 3 or 4 leaves with maybe 3 or 4 aphids on them each.

Looking at Trichomes today and now I noticed spider mites on some leaves along with eggs and larva. Very early stage infestation in that I see no obvious damage from them. I am about a week or 2 from harvest. Should I take plant down now or can it go the next week or 2?

That is a pregnant female aphid. She will give birth to another pregnant female aphid and keep doing it.

Lower temps in you grow room and they will grow wings and lay eggs for next season. Once they do that it's very tough to get rid of them totally.

I use Take Down that will do a pretty good job on em.

They like warm conditions say 80F - that hatches eggs and prompts females to give birth the pregnant females. Insidious little fvcks. I hate aphids.

In hind sight for me I should have left the temps up while foliar on the Take Down so they didn't lay eggs. So now I'm running warm conditions and doing a weekly IPM with Take Down. I got very low numbers finally but they are persistent.

That is a pregnant female aphid. She will give birth to another pregnant female aphid and keep doing it.

Lower temps in you grow room and they will grow wings and lay eggs for next season. Once they do that it's very tough to get rid of them totally.

I use Take Down that will do a pretty good job on em.

They like warm conditions say 80F - that hatches eggs and prompts females to give birth the pregnant females. Insidious little fvcks. I hate aphids.

In hind sight for me I should have left the temps up while foliar on the Take Down so they didn't lay eggs. So now I'm running warm conditions and doing a weekly IPM with Take Down. I got very low numbers finally but they are persistent.
I’m strictly an outdoor grower. I did take off that branch that had the aphids and stripped off all the leaves I could see aphids on (they were mostly concentrated on that branch). I did rinse down the plant after it had got caught in an unexpected rain and she’s been chopped and hung.

7EFFE734-E333-4510-8CEB-8A37F8938207.jpeg

Ahaha sorry, it's a reference to an old Guns & Roses song, called Pretty Tied Up, it's what I think every time I hang a new girl lol ... yea I'm a little weird :D

a piece of the chorus :
She's pretty tied up hangin' upside down
She's pretty tied up an' you can ride her
And I can't tell you she's the right one
Oh she's the right one ..

Ahaha sorry, it's a reference to an old Guns & Roses song, called Pretty Tied Up, it's what I think every time I hang a new girl lol ... yea I'm a little weird :D

a piece of the chorus :
She's pretty tied up an' you can ride her
And I can't tell you she's the right one
Oh she's the right one ..
Oh! Ok. Lol! That’s cool!

I forgot that I planted the branch in soil with the buds still intact because I was trying to get the trichomes to get cloudy. I finally cut the buds off in March and the trichomes were still clear! After I dried them and cured them, they were super potent! I doubt I could ever replicate it.

Back
Top Bottom