What Kind Of Bug Is This?

Thank you @013 and @Justin Goody,
I know for sure that it's not a spider, as it has 6 legs, not 8. Plus, I have seen these guys in my cannabis garden every single year. I've heard from some (locally) that this is a predator of other insects; but it's only shared in a way that isn't sure or just based in opinion. I'm hoping someone here actually knows what kind of critter this is. These photos are fully zoomed and held as close as the focus of my iPhone XR is capable of. These guys get much bigger. This one is a baby and extremely tiny. I will get better pics when they grow bigger.

Hey @013 , I'm not sure if you're saying that you bumped me to the top or that I need to bump this up to the top myself. I don't know how to do that. Is this something that users like me are authorized to do? If so, how do I do that?

Always growing and always learning... :smokin:

Thank you @013 and @Justin Goody,
I know for sure that it's not a spider, as it has 6 legs, not 8. Plus, I have seen these guys in my cannabis garden every single year. I've heard from some (locally) that this is a predator of other insects; but it's only shared in a way that isn't sure or just based in opinion. I'm hoping someone here actually knows what kind of critter this is. These photos are fully zoomed and held as close as the focus of my iPhone XR is capable of. These guys get much bigger. This one is a baby and extremely tiny. I will get better pics when they grow bigger.

Hey @013 , I'm not sure if you're saying that you bumped me to the top or that I need to bump this up to the top myself. I don't know how to do that. Is this something that users like me are authorized to do? If so, how do I do that?

Always growing and always learning... :smokin:
It’s the same color as a ladybug larvae ;) just hard to see.

Yup. If I hadn't seen these guys at their full adult size, I would say the same thing. A for effort though. By the way, in the 1st pic you can see his beady little eyes staring right back at you. If that helps...

It's WAY past time for me to toke up... :smokin:

actually thought very early ladybug as well .. they are super ugly.

had a bunch of what we thought were insanely tiny jumping spiders all over my current grow in veg. we might have had spider mites but those little assassins cleared them out and moved on.

actually thought very early ladybug as well .. they are super ugly.

had a bunch of what we thought were insanely tiny jumping spiders all over my current grow in veg. we might have had spider mites but those little assassins cleared them out and moved on.
Well, I guess I'll have to keep watching. I may have got this all wrong. Thanx @bluter

Time will tell... :smokin:

Well, I guess I'll have to keep watching. I may have got this all wrong. Thanx @bluter

Time will tell...

at either end - you got more than two guesses on a beneficial guest.
i used to catch spiders and release them in my grow spaces .. times were crude then lol :cheesygrinsmiley:

Just found this: thespruce[dot]com/recognize-lady-beetle-ladybug-nymphs-1402696

So, I think this rules out lady bugs. It says the babies are 1/2 inch long. The critter in the pic is less than 1/16" perhaps less than 1/32". Like I said... tiny.

Nature is weird, like me... :smokin:

If its one of these I believe they are a type of mealy bug. Ive seen these on my outdoor plants before.
2662C7BC-D0FA-471F-8E52-D277BB003EE2.jpeg

this is what i had .. blurry pic under a loupe ..

full

that's how tiny they were. buggers were nuts aggressive too. microscopic as they were, they'd run and jump right at you if they figured out your were looking at them, and they'd spring like 4000 times their length too lol :p

here's another look..

1606317475314-png.2262446

my camera just couldn't cope ..

i don't think they spun webs, but they seemed to travel on the stuff the mites may have left. didn't find any live mites, but did see some signs, and a possible egg or two .. then nothing .. :cheesygrinsmiley:

If its one of these I believe they are a type of mealy bug. Ive seen these on my outdoor plants before.
2662C7BC-D0FA-471F-8E52-D277BB003EE2.jpeg
Thank you @MarshallB , @013 , @bluter ,
This is certainly the closest of all the pics shared. Although my guy was way way tinier. Good call... This just might be it. If this is a mealy bug, is it a "good bug"?

Thanx again... :smokin:

they suck sap out of the leaves and can promote mold

they encounter predators to keep them down normally outdoors. they can take over though if conditions are right.

The pic makes them look bigger than they are. The ones I seen where on average 1/16”-1/8”. I noticed they seem to drag around little chunks of white cotton candy looking stuff, or like thick white webbing. On the plants they were on I see more of this chunky web stuff at the crook of a node. I think its what they produce to put their larva in. Im not sure if the two are related but I did get PM on all those plants too.

they suck sap out of the leaves and can promote mold

they encounter predators to keep them down normally outdoors. they can take over though if conditions are right.

The pic makes them look bigger than they are. The ones I seen where on average 1/16”-1/8”. I noticed they seem to drag around little chunks of white cotton candy looking stuff, or like thick white webbing. On the plants they were on I see more of this chunky web stuff at the crook of a node. I think its what they produce to put their larva in. Im not sure if the two are related but I did get PM on all those plants too.
Thanx guys. Really appreciate the heads up. I'll have to keep a watchful eye out to see if there's more and get better pics.
We'll see... :smokin:

If it is a mealy bug then they are are not good, I had a small amount of them on just a stem or two of one of my plants last year. I didn't think that they were making much impact, I tried rubbing Neem on them but they seemed hard to remove, next time I think I'll prick them thru one by one with a pin and see if that fatally helps remove them. This year using the same pots and soil I an unaware of having any on the plants. Here's a closeup pic I took last year, see if this looks like yours, the ants nurture them for the honey dew they produce.

Back
Top Bottom