What leads to fewer thicker branches?

lilnug420

so after a bit of testing, i realized that my strategy for getting fewer thicker branches isn't really working, i kept on cutting the heads off the tallest branches thinking it would cause them to grow larger as opposed to long and thin, instead now i have even more small branches...

i'm trying to get thick stems, and a less bushy plant, i already do LST and supercropping, but my plants are still extremely bushy and i don't like so. i'd like my buds to be bigger as opposed to many small buds

what other technique can i use to achieve this? i was thinking maybe cutting all the new growth would trick the plant into putting all it's energy in the already existing branches, can this be possible?

so after a bit of testing, i realized that my strategy for getting fewer thicker branches isn't really working, i kept on cutting the heads off the tallest branches thinking it would cause them to grow larger as opposed to long and thin, instead now i have even more small branches...

i'm trying to get thick stems, and a less bushy plant, i already do LST and supercropping, but my plants are still extremely bushy and i don't like so. i'd like my buds to be bigger as opposed to many small buds

what other technique can i use to achieve this? i was thinking maybe cutting all the new growth would trick the plant into putting all it's energy in the already existing branches, can this be possible?
Having thick branching is from Light too..need a good light #1..
#2 top when they're young at the 5th node..don't touch the plant again until you're ready to flower and lollipop the bottom half..don't touch her again after 3 weeks of flower and do it again.. that's it..I wouldn't recommend picking at her everyday..
Cheers

Having thick branching is from Light too..need a good light #1..
#2 top when they're young at the 5th node..don't touch the plant again until you're ready to flower and lollipop the bottom half..don't touch her again after 3 weeks of flower and do it again.. that's it..I wouldn't recommend picking at her everyday..
Cheers
i'm outdoors so light isn't an issue. the way you told me my plant would grow way to tall. i have a height limit of around 1.3 meters

Hmm yeah usually outside you get big branching because they can go grow as wide as tall as they want.. if you need to keep them small
Do mainlining? you top down t'ill you've got nothing but big stem and start folding out from there 2 to 4 to 8 etc.. the old nugbuckets tutorial. That way you only get the branches you want.
i've never looked into mainlining, will definitely check it out

I am pretty sure that I know just what you are trying to do. And, very possibly the "why" as in why you are trying to do it. I am working on the same sort of project but the plants are growing inside and I can test how well I am doing by putting one or two clones outside to see how well it is going in sunlight.

When the tips of the growing branches are cut off the plant will send the hormones that cause that branch to grow to the next available growing tips. Since those tips are already getting their fair share they will now be getting even more. That helps promote the growing of more new dominant stems which is what you are trying to avoid. The plant will not increase how thick the remaining branch or stem is fast. The stem will thicken up a bit as part of the natural process of growing but not as fast as you need.

Thick stems and "a less bushy plant" are not necessarily the same thing nor related. Maybe they are, but it probably is best to look at those as two separate goals at first. Once you accomplish both goals then join them together into the one goal.

The Low Stress Training and the Super-Cropping are methods of changing and/or increasing dominant growing tips on branches with the intent of increasing the number of potential bud sites which is not what you are looking for. I figure you are looking for a limited number of bud sites but want the buds at those sites will be huge and heavy. Or, are you looking for something else??

Changing the fertilizer blends will help. Find blends with a good amount of calcium and silica. Or, add the calcium and silica to the fertilizers you are already using. That will help produce the types of stems and branches you are looking for. Then feeding with flowering fertilizers and giving a bit of a boost with the appropriate "finishing" nutrients about half way though the flower stage will help produce those big and heavy buds you want.

Growing the main branches out as long as possible and then cutting off all but the first 2 feet coming from the main stem will leave some very thick, strong & woody branches. The big problems I can see are the timing since you are growing outside and cannot control the light schedule.

If you find a plant that is growing the way you want during the vegetating stage then best to take several cuttings, rooting them, and starting a small clone farm for the next year. There is no guarantee that any other seeds from the same strain will end up giving you a duplicate plant. Even seeds from the same parent plant that produced the first seed you used might not give you another plant that grows the way you want.

You can try donkey dicks ,cut EVERYTHING off cept for the main stem and top branches and everything we used to do that in a 4×4 flood and drain to squeeze in as many plants as we could could do almost 50 in 1 tray that way ✌️ I use silica AGISIL 16 for strong branches I get BIG BIDS I've ALL the branches but I also train them

You can try donkey dicks ,cut EVERYTHING off cept for the main stem and top branches and everything we used to do that in a 4×4 flood and drain to squeeze in as many plants as we could could do almost 50 in 1 tray that way ✌️ I use silica AGISIL 16 for strong branches I get BIG BIDS I've ALL the branches but I also train them
BIG BUDS All over the plant I meant to say DAMN AUTO CORRECT ✌️

0-0-32

Agsil 16 H is a soluble form of Potassium Silicate that will provide your plants with a 100% available source of silicon and potassium essential for optimum plant growth and health. Potassium Silicate will strengthen your plants internal processes during periods of excessive stress and external defenses against foliar and soil diseases. Benefits include stronger cell walls, increased stem strength, increased heat, drought and cold tolerances and longer lasting leaves and bloom

Agsil 16H is a simple and inexpensive alternative to water-based Silica products – now you can make your own for pennies on the gallon. 560 grams of Agsil in 1 gallon will give you 7.6% silicon . Give it a try it works for me ✌️

Topping a branch sends all the energy to the sides of that branch so forces bushing. Cutting the side branches forces all the energy to the end growth. Neither effect the thickness of the branches directly. Light is the biggest factor as mentioned. You are out doors but is it in full sun? Second is nutrients. Is the PH in the range where the plant can take up the correct nutrients? Could be low levels of potassium, calcium, magnesium or silicate. These are the nutrients for healthy stem growth. You can megadose all of these with no ill effect except potassium. Too much potassium will prevent the uptake of the other three micronutrients.

We're generally finding much thicker stems on a typical plant grown in a SIP. That along with the quadlining strategy makes for a very good combination, though you have to keep up with the thinning as it grows some  very robust plants.

With the quad, you top only once above the 4th node, remove nodes one and two, and then LST the other two nodes out. Minimal toppings and thinning of the stuff closer to the trunk combined with a SIP might be just the ticket you're looking for.

#SIP Club link in my signature if you want to check it out.

Back
Top Bottom