What might this be?

Cheesus

Hello there fellow 420's

To go straight on point.

I have checked the stickys on the forum but havent found anything that looks like this.. so now i turn to you guys. This is only on a few tops on the one under the LED light, all the other plants are not showing any sympthons of any kind. all are on the same watering schedule and same nutes same soil, same everything.
what might this be?
IMG_039216.JPG

Some further info.

Strain, Uk Cheese

They are about 15days in to flowering. have been in the same pots for just over 1.5 month

Nutes used atm: Gold label Soil A+B about 75ml, Gold label Pk+ about 35ml, Big bud about 200ml.

My thougts about this are..

That it might be a early Magnesium deffeciency.. Or

That they grew pretty close to my 360w LED panel, about 4inches away from it, and that the light intensity have caused this, its not a heat stress problem since it was barley warm when holding my hand over them.

Sorry for the bad pic.

For those who want to see other pics and have a look back on my plants, swing by my journal and say hi =)

/cheesus.

Re: What might this be ?

Looks like some tips are turning white ? if so could well be a sign of LED light bleaching.

Mg def normal effects the fan/shade leafs first but not the bud leafs.

The bleaching will make them crispy and necrotic if u allow.it to continue. It does look like mg or boron definetly but the white as mentioned above screams bleaching. Back em up to 6" and see if it continues.

I seriously am considering led more and more. Been seeing bleaching and hash tips left and right lately telling me there finally to a point of being able to hold their own.

My last run had a bud directly under a HPS in a cool tube that developed color like that.
The color actually came back a few days after I moved it further from the light.

Thanks guys! really!

This got me a bit worried, since it havent showed any def sign on the other plants. i will raise the light even further (did raise it when i saw thes color change) but i can rais them a little more.

CannaSensei, LED's are pure awsomeness!!! the buds are developing way faster then with hps. its a huge different. can add some nice versus pictures tomorrow for you guys =)

Thanks again

I'd love to do a side by side personally. Would love to hear from a site sponsor wanting a review on a new product (like led) . I'm just a traditionalist. I've used mh and Hps since I was 16. And LOVE my results so its hard for me to bite especially with their pricepoint. I don't have that kind of money to experiment with these days :/

I'd be very interested in doing or seeing a true scientific side by side comparison with limited variables and integrated standards and.baselines.

I'd love to do a side by side personally. Would love to hear from a site sponsor wanting a review on a new product (like led) . I'm just a traditionalist. I've used mh and Hps since I was 16. And LOVE my results so its hard for me to bite especially with their pricepoint. I don't have that kind of money to experiment with these days :/

I'd be very interested in doing or seeing a true scientific side by side comparison with limited variables and integrated standards and.baselines.

I'm far from a scientist, but this is what i do for my side by side comparison.

whats the same..

same soil

feeding schedule

same nutes

same age

same enviroment.

same genetics

i'm growing two plants under each light to get a better look at the difference of the type of lighting. LED vs HPS

What i've noticed so far.

Hps plants,

They grow a little taller

longer nodial spacing

fewer fan leafs

weaker stems

slower bud production

less frosty (only ~18days in flower and are starting to get frosty.)

The LED's

are all opposite to the hps!

not as tall compare to the hps (still huge)

much more leafs

really tight nodes

bigger buds (so far)

greener leafs

harder stems ( wont need to much support)

faster growth overall ( both veg and flower)

maybe some more pros with the LED, none that come to mind now tho.

if you manage to save up some cash for LED, then dont think twice! buy a good light, full spectrum, min 6 different spectrums.

only got some crappy phone pics atm, will take some nice ones tomorrow and post

Question about the LED lights vs HPS. When you guys say they're better than HPS is that restricted to just a few plants? I was advised to go with 1000 watt mh (veg) and 1000 hps (flower) for the size room and as many plants as I plan on growing. What kind of footprint does a LED leave in comparison? I know that a 1000 hps/mh can cover a 4x4 foot area very well. What kind of wattage would I need from a LED to get the same footprint?

Question about the LED lights vs HPS. When you guys say they're better than HPS is that restricted to just a few plants? I was advised to go with 1000 watt mh (veg) and 1000 hps (flower) for the size room and as many plants as I plan on growing. What kind of footprint does a LED leave in comparison? I know that a 1000 hps/mh can cover a 4x4 foot area very well. What kind of wattage would I need from a LED to get the same footprint?

Hi, Thats a good question, The footprint of the LED lights are not that great compared to a hps bulb. im comparing 360w LED vs 400w HPS, and the hps light do cover alot more then the led's.

but there are LED's out there that have wide angle lenses on them, with those you get a bigger footprint, but with the loss of light intensity. and thats what led's are so good at, giving really intense light when and were you need it.

but thats not the point of my testing. i wanna know if the LED's produce a better end product then the hps.

and if so, how much? and in wich way do i find it better. this is just a smallscale testing so i can decide on how i'm going to run my grows in the future.

to sum it up.. the led footprint is based on what lenses your light is built with. mine are 60degree and give a pretty narrow footprint, about 1x1m, maybe a little less.

tip, if your buying 1000w Mh/HPS. make sure you have a dimmable ballast, you dont need 1000w in veg for the first weeks, it just a waste of energy. and im pretty sure a 1000w would be able to cover a 4x4 pretty good, maybe some shading around the edges, so i would use a 2x600w hps when flowering instead of one single 1000w.

Couldn't have said it better. If ur running a big area Hps will give better coverage and at a much lower pricepoint. LEDS used to be a joke a.few years ago now it seems they may be the way of the future. I am definetly interested in getting my hands.on one.

And again as mentioned above. I will take 2 600w over a 1k 11 times out of ten without question. It cost me all of 40 extra bucks to buy a dual 600 and hoods than it would have for a single 1k. 600s give comparable output to a 1k but with far less heat. And 2 sources gibe u a larger footprint and more intensity. Take a 400 600 and 1000 and u will see very clearly the difference in intensity between the 4 and 6 is FAR more.profound than the comparison of the 6 to the 1000.leds are still a ways off from commercial grade at least from an affordable reasonable investment sense. But if ur in a little 4x4 or the like its looking more and more like leds are the way to go.

Thanks guys that answers my question.
So, Cheesus, have you seen any difference in your plant or have any other clues as to what it might be? I'm curious about this one. I'm ALWAYS interested in trouble shooting tips and getting to know what symptoms are signs of what.

Elious, i checked yesterday, it havent gotten any worse, and there haven been any new bleeching. i did notice the start of Mg def on 3-5 lower fan leafs, so added some mg+ and raised the light a bit. will give a better update tomorrow with a few pics. Trouble shooting is always fun, as long as it's en early stage of something :D haha.

i checked them today, and the green is starting to comback, some are all gone.

on another note. Defoliation must be one of the best things, truly belive in the power of letting more light hit your bud sites

here are pre/after pics. Look at the ones under the LED light, can really see how much more light is getting in the middle

Led 360w
pre.JPG
aft2.JPG
aft.JPG

hps 400w

pre11.JPG
aft3.JPG

125w CFL scrog. (man i should have gone with the 250w HPS instead. but now we now how this is working out =). ) not to bad, but these buds will be more airy then the others for sure.

pre21.JPG
aft4.JPG

and this is how much leafs that was removed

fl7.JPG

Holy schtuff!! I was always told to be careful of how much leaf you take off. Has this worked well for you in the past? I'm seriously asking, I mean I'm not trying to be a smart ass. Like I said, I've been told to be careful of over doing it but they never really said why. I was just curious what your results were.
Great news on your babies coming out of their funk man! Thats always AWESOME news!

well this is my first time doing defoliation, but i dont really have any other options, as you saw, only the top bud sites get enough light.

and as i understand it, you have to be carful to not doit to early, if you remove the most of the leafs to early the plant will have a hard time to absorb energy. but at around 21days of flowering, almost all the budsites have showed up. at this stage, the sugar leafs and the buds will absorb the energy needed. but i saved some fan leafs just to be more on the safe side, but i will remove them later on then the flowers are bigger and the leafs are just shadowing some other buds.

they might be stunned for a few days but it dosent mather for me =) have i waited 135days so far i can wait a few more haha :D.

i did a defoliation when i flipped to 12/12 and it worked out really nice, so i guess that most of the people that say its crap and not good. they havent tried it them self, or they went balistic and chopped every single leaf of to early =)

try it out man, i think its awsome for your plants in flowering, this way i will get bigger buds all the way =)

keep you updated on the progress of the plants in about 4-5 days hopefully we will see a huge diffrence on the lower bud sites

Back
Top Bottom