What three options would you choose to get the most potent buds possible?

You got me thinking, if I can only find plots with crappy soil maybe I should use synthetic fertilizer? hmmm
You could use Geoflora if you want to keep it organic. Even with crappy soil. It's supposed to work great even in coco which has basically nothing to offer in the way of nutrients.

I'm planning on just using blood & bone and potash on my next grow, should do the trick.
No longer term N?

Wouldn't LST and supercropping ensure all buds get good sunlight rather than just the one dominant cola?

And by lollipopping wouldn't that allow the plant to put all it's energy into the buds further up the plan that do get good sunlight thus increasing potency?
Wouldn't increase potency of the plant but rather spread around the hormones and resources to more locations. So, rather than having one massive cola and the rest tiny ones, you get many more average sized but overall yield should be relatively the same.

But that's a question of total yield, not potency.

You could use Geoflora if you want to keep it organic. Even with crappy soil. It's supposed to work great even in coco which has basically nothing to offer in the way of nutrients.

Yeah a lot of people recommend Geoflora but unfortunately it isn't available in my part of the world.
No longer term N?

On my last grow I just added 100g of blood & bone at transplanting for each plant and then another 100g eight weeks later. None showed signs of N deficiency so that seemed to work.

Wouldn't increase potency of the plant but rather spread around the hormones and resources to more locations. So, rather than having one massive cola and the rest tiny ones, you get many more average sized but overall yield should be relatively the same.

But that's a question of total yield, not potency.

Alright, fair enough.

What about this that I read.....

Trichomes are reflective. They can reflect visible, UV, near-infrared, and infrared radiation away from a plant2. Inside a trichome, there are additional light-absorbing compounds such as flavonols, that further shield the plant from light3.

you can easily over light a plant indoor. it creates a stress reaction, possible hermies, light avoidance, damaged leaves, and effects trichome production negatively, not positively.

Also doesn't trichomes protect plants from drought some how?, some people drought stress their plants to increase trichome production.

it's the late flower bro stress du jour. it picked up where driving a nail through the main stalk left off in the pantheon of weird stuff folk do to plants. i'm not convinced, but there is anecdotal evidence to back it.

it's also been shown to be a psychological effect. when underwatered the plant tissues shrink back a little, creating less area. the trichomes can look more abundant in that scenario as there is simply less space for them, but it remains to be seen if it actually produces more than it would otherwise.

it's the late flower bro stress du jour. it picked up where driving a nail through the main stalk left off in the pantheon of weird stuff folk do to plants. i'm not convinced, but there is anecdotal evidence to back it.
Not quite. A University study backed by actual testing of the cannabinoids.

it's also been shown to be a psychological effect. when underwatered the plant tissues shrink back a little, creating less area. the trichomes can look more abundant in that scenario as there is simply less space for them, but it remains to be seen if it actually produces more than it would otherwise.
You should have a look at @Krissi Carbone 's thread with pictures showing the elongated trochomes she gets on her droughts plants. Link in my sig.

No that's total bullshit!
Had an argument with someone on here about it before. He had no idea!!
True, a proper dry/cure doesn't increase potency in terms of more THC/CBD, but it does preserve what's already there with minimal degradation so I can't agree with 'total bullshit' pal
:passitleft:

True, a proper dry/cure doesn't increase potency in terms of more THC/CBD, but it does preserve what's already there with minimal degradation so I can't agree with 'total bullshit' pal
Also, if you go too long on the dry phase you can turn some of your THC into CBN, lowering at least your perceived potency of your harvest.

His question was does it "increase" potency. To which I said total bullshit.
But yeah mate agree totally with your
comment!
Screenshot_20230122-132138_Brave.jpg

Yeah this was the post!
Probably one of the stupidest posts I've seen on a forum! 🤣

you can easily over light a plant indoor. it creates a stress reaction, possible hermies, light avoidance, damaged leaves, and effects trichome production negatively, not positively.

That is something I didn't know, I'll have to do more research into the sunlights influence on trichomes.

Fair enough, I grow outdoors and it rains at least once a week in late bloom so I can't drought stress plants anyway, not to mention I think I read somewhere that cannabis plants can pull moisture from the air through their leaves.

That is a very interesting point you make.

What if I fast dry my buds in 4 days, I know it will taste awful but will the smoke be just as strong/potent as if it had been slow dried over 10 days?

Not quite. A University study backed by actual testing of the cannabinoids.

You should have a look at @Krissi Carbone 's thread with pictures showing the elongated trochomes she gets on her droughts plants. Link in my sig.

what university ? i'm still skeptical that is what is actually happening.

it used to be believed that a sharp late flower frost would do the same thing in outdoor plants. there were studies etc... that really didn't last over long either. i lump all that kind of stuff together along with driving a nail through the main stalk.

all any of them do is induce a stress reaction, which is thought to be at the root of any effects.

No the cured buds will be better because less of the thc will be destroyed by the longer slower cure like Roy said.

That's interesting. Can anyone out there confirm that fast drying in 4 days will not decrease potency compared to slow drying over 10 days?

What if I fast dry my buds in 4 days, I know it will taste awful but will the smoke be just as strong/potent as if it had been slow dried over 10 days?

depends on your conditions.

That's interesting. Can anyone out there confirm that fast drying in 4 days will not decrease potency compared to slow drying over 10 days?

i sure can. i hang as short as 3 days depending on rh. it's the jar cure where all the magic happens.

the goal is to get it into the jars with enough rh to burp and cure for at least a month. the hang doesn't need to be all that long. it just needs to be long enough to negate the chlorophyll.

i sure can. i hang as short as 3 days depending on rh. it's the jar cure where all the magic happens.

the goal is to get it into the jars with enough rh to burp and cure for at least a month. the hang doesn't need to be all that long. it just needs to be long enough to negate the chlorophyll.
True? I didn't know that. Everything I read said slow dry it over 10 days, even two weeks.

What is your conditions (RH, temperature etc) to achieve a 3 day dry?

True? I didn't know that. Everything I read said slow dry it over 10 days, even two weeks.

What is your conditions (RH, temperature etc) to achieve a 3 day dry?

my rh sits between 25 - 35% normally. i've hung at 15% previous. temps in the 22 - 24c range. these are all indoor conditions. the important thing is to degrade the chlorophyll enough and get it into the jars for a decent burp and cure.

a hang isn't the curing process. it's about understanding your conditions and adapting.

Back
Top Bottom