What's a girl to do?

The tent is directly on concrete basement floor. The heat mat is directly on reflective tray (same material as tent) which is directly on tent floor.

We've purchased some interlocking foam flooring squares that we were considering putting between tent floor and reflective tent tray to insulate some from the concrete floor. Thoughts?

Where about in the world do you live? I don't need to know city, just state if in the US, or country otherwise. I know I am being hyper about this ground temperature thing, but when I started, I struggled for 2 years before someone told me to raise the plants up off the basement floor, because the geothermic properties of the ground will suck the heat out of the plants soil.

In the winter, in the North East of the U.S., placing the plants on the ground, even with a heat matt, will be probalematic. I would expect the earth would win any fight in terms of pulling energy (heat in this case) from a small potted plant, even with the heating pad.

I even keep the barrels that I have my soil cooking in raised up from the floor.

I would put someting between the heat pad and the floor of the tent.

Where about in the world do you live? I don't need to know city, just state if in the US, or country otherwise. I know I am being hyper about this ground temperature thing, but when I started, I struggled for 2 years before someone told me to raise the plants up off the basement floor, because the geothermic properties of the ground will suck the heat out of the plants soil.

In the winter, in the North East of the U.S., placing the plants on the ground, even with a heat matt, will be probalematic. I would expect the earth would win any fight in terms of pulling energy (heat in this case) from a small potted plant.

I would put someting between the heat pad and the floor of the tent.
Northeast-ish US. Not as cold as some areas, but certainly colder than some. We'll get the foam flooring installed as a buffer asap

I'm in Southern Massachusetts. We have had an extremely mild winter, but still, its been interesting. Between the ground sucking the heat out of the plants... And the forced hot air heat sucking the humidity out of the air in the house, its still been a challenge to keep things right.

Such is the way.

I'm in Southern Massachusetts. We have had an extremely mild winter, but still, its been interesting. Between the ground sucking the heat out of the plants... And the forced hot air heat sucking the humidity out of the air in the house, its still been a challenge to keep things right.

Such is the way.
Yeah, same issues for us this winter! Got our foam flooring installed in the tent tonight, so the babies will rest cozier! Thanks for your advice!

Here's an update for anyone following!

The kids are doing fine and have definitely grown. I've cut back considerably on watering, and though I question whether it's enough, I know the plants will tell me if they are too thirsty!

I, with the help of @IntegrationLabGod, got our ventilation system set up the other day. Sucked all the air right out of the tent when I powered on the vent fan for the first time. I'd say it'll do. Lol. I also appreciate the heat/humidity sensor as part of the ventilation system. Digital display , mounted right inside the door to our grow room, tells me immediately what the conditions are inside the tent down near the plants, and I love it! Averaging around 70° when lights are on and around 65° with lights off

Beyond that, I'm just waiting (sometimes im-)patiently for them to grow up!
IMG_20200309_160908.jpg
The one in the foreground isn't doing well at all, the baby leaves are dying as are the first pair of true leaves.
I've never managed to keep anything alive in cardboard cups, they suck the water right out of the soil, plastic is better IMHO.

The one in the foreground isn't doing well at all, the baby leaves are dying as are the first pair of true leaves.
I've never managed to keep anything alive in cardboard cups, they suck the water right out of the soil, plastic is better IMHO.
I was questioning that one but wondered if maybe that was normal for first set of leaves. Is there a thread somewhere with a plant photo guide and suggestions to fix problems in said photos?

I've been toying with the idea of adding plastic cups so they don't get zapped dry as quickly, but was also concerned about other things like mold growing with less airflow.

I also need to go check the fertilizer thread again because maybe that front plant just wants more nutrients?

I was questioning that one but wondered if maybe that was normal for first set of leaves. Is there a thread somewhere with a plant photo guide and suggestions to fix problems in said photos?

I've been toying with the idea of adding plastic cups so they don't get zapped dry as quickly, but was also concerned about other things like mold growing with less airflow.

I also need to go check the fertilizer thread again because maybe that front plant just wants more nutrients?

Baby leaves in a healthy plant usually survive and look green until fully shaded from light by the bigger leaves.
If they die before 3 weeks, you've probably done something wrong.

:welcome: to :420: BakedCupcake

I've read through this whole thread, and I have a few questions...
1) What kind of soil are you using? Specifics
2) What kind of fertilizer are you using? Specifics - and babies don't need anything till the 2nd or 3rd week, after the seedling stage. The little round leaves (cotyledons) are the babies bottle, when they "start" turning yellow, then a little nutrients are needed, until then, only water.
3) Do those cups have drainage holes? If not, cut some.

It looks to me that they are over watered, and the brown spots on the leaves are a sign of root rot...

I put my seeds into a cup of water for 18 to 24 hours, until they sink to the bottom. Then into a wet paper towel on a plate and into a warm dark closet until I have tap roots about half to three quarters of an inch long. (Making sure the paper towel stays damp the whole time) Then into a "seedling starter mix" (with no nutrients) until they are 2 weeks old and then into Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil...If you are using a soil with nutrients, it could kill certain strains when starting from seeds....Remember, less is better, until you know what you're doing :thumb:

And your heating problem could be fixed with a few pallets and a small space heater...put the tent on the pallets and set the thermostat on the space heater...viola :idea: heated floor :goodluck:

Here's one of mine ........ 2-3 weeks from the dry seed entering the wet Jiffy pellet, after sprouting pellet buried in coco + Perlite in a 6" pot and fed 1/4 nutrients (+ a dash of cal-mag) every day, watered until runoff. Baby leaf still perfect, but it's in shade now so probably won't last much longer.

picture_2020_3_12_7_24_2_602.jpg
:high-five: Right on...show and tell, love it :rofl:
Here's one of mine, popped soil on 2/3/20...the first pic is day 5 from sprout 2/8/20...the second and third are 21 days from sprout 2/24/20 , and my manifold pic (same plant) was taken 33 days from sprout on 3/8/20 I believe :morenutes::morenutes:

Hey everyone! I'm here for help! When my hubby decided to grow a few months ago, I was adamant that I wanted nothing to do with it, no responsibility for it, nothing. Since then, I've helped grow our little seedlings and helped set up our tent, engineered our mounting systems for fans, ventilation, etc... And now, due to unforseen circumstances, I'm taking over the grow 100%. What else could I do?

But now what??

Our seedlings' growth has stunted after reaching only a couple inches tall. I'll be over in The Grow Room poring over threads while I try to get these babies back on track.

A little about me: I'm a mom of 3 dogs. Married to integrationlabgod. I've used medical cannabis for about 6 months. I'm a self-proclaimed badass who always figures out a way to make it work and doesn't take failure as an option, and I'm all about doing something about it if you're not happy with your circumstances. Yet too sweet for my own good. Lol

I'm excited to be here, and super nervous. My daddy always said "it's just a weed" when it comes to growing, but what if I can't even grow a weed properly?!
:thumb:

Hey everyone! I'm here for help! When my hubby decided to grow a few months ago, I was adamant that I wanted nothing to do with it, no responsibility for it, nothing. Since then, I've helped grow our little seedlings and helped set up our tent, engineered our mounting systems for fans, ventilation, etc... And now, due to unforseen circumstances, I'm taking over the grow 100%. What else could I do?

But now what??

Our seedlings' growth has stunted after reaching only a couple inches tall. I'll be over in The Grow Room poring over threads while I try to get these babies back on track.

A little about me: I'm a mom of 3 dogs. Married to integrationlabgod. I've used medical cannabis for about 6 months. I'm a self-proclaimed badass who always figures out a way to make it work and doesn't take failure as an option, and I'm all about doing something about it if you're not happy with your circumstances. Yet too sweet for my own good. Lol

I'm excited to be here, and super nervous. My daddy always said "it's just a weed" when it comes to growing, but what if I can't even grow a weed properly?!
Welcome, @BakedCupcake! Love that name! May the Force be with you. :Rasta:

Hi C.C, welcome to the show. Maybe I missed it but what u growing?
autos or photos if u know. Those 4” jiffypots do very will for starting
seeds I’ve even put a sandwitch bag over the top to germinate.
and u can see by the color of the pot wether it’s wet or dry. I don’t
leave in jiffy pots for very long, I remove and transplant before the
tap root hits the bottom of the pots, I reuse them as well. Smart pots are recommend for max root growth and better yield imo. Growers luv, hard ass

Hey all! It's been a while since I last updated everyone! Your tips have been so valuable and we have 9ur girls back on track! We even got to top Cataract Cush and Candy Land for the first time this week!

We have our watering figured out and I've learned that the peat pots don't work with our setup (note the fan in the pic that dries them out too quickly). Fertilizing has begun and we see huge growth each time they get fed!

But check out the video... Seriously, what's going on with Strawberry Cake? ‍♀️
Strawberry Cake

Attachments

• IMG_20200321_170019.jpg
    IMG_20200321_170019.jpg
    781.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20200321_170000.jpg
    IMG_20200321_170000.jpg
    645.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20200321_165934.jpg
    IMG_20200321_165934.jpg
    676.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20200321_165840.jpg
    IMG_20200321_165840.jpg
    782 KB · Views: 57
Hey all! It's been a while since I last updated everyone! Your tips have been so valuable and we have 9ur girls back on track! We even got to top Cataract Cush and Candy Land for the first time this week!

We have our watering figured out and I've learned that the peat pots don't work with our setup (note the fan in the pic that dries them out too quickly). Fertilizing has begun and we see huge growth each time they get fed!

But check out the video... Seriously, what's going on with Strawberry Cake? ‍♀
Strawberry Cake

Re-pot them all now, the pot needs to be wider than the leaves until they're in their final container.
Good to see you dumped the useless card peat pots.

Back
Top Bottom