What's the best way to set up CFL's for 2 plants?

I like everything Dr Giggity has been saying. The one thing I disagree on is the 6500k, or you said you had access to 6700k bulbs? Even better. You want to use those during veg. In fact I would use ONLY those during veg. Then when you switch to 12/12 switch to those 2200-3000k type bulbs for flowering.

But yeah man just get growing. I started off on a whim one day. Went out and got my medical card, 30 minutes later I was buying clones from the clone store, then a hour after that I was at home wondering where to put them. This is what I used for a week or two lol...
DSCN50691.JPG
DSCN50721.JPG

Yes thats 8 plants on the step of my ladder below a ceiling fan light lol :D.

Now skip ahead a couple months later and here they are.

DSCN6167.JPG
DSCN6128.JPG
jean_k.JPG

until about 72 hours ago JC i would have agreed with you, i own as many 6500k bulbs as i could afford at the time, but this myth is officially busted now. 6500k ARE better, but the benefit of them over the 2700k just isnt worth the extra cost and difficulty finding them for medium to low budget growers.

Jandre2k3, my personal god of growing on this site signs off on this belief too, and i think he was even comparing light spectrum charts and all sorts ;)

Well just side by side they are better. Their light spectrum is closer to what the plant likes and needs in veg.

However yes they can be difficult to find sometimes. They also can cost more occasionally too.

If you want to stay with CFLs and everyone is giving you a cool way to build, but you say you lack homedepot etc. I would go on ebay and look for an CFL kit. They have 125w kits (includes the reflecting hood & light) for $89.00. This would be great if they ship to were your at. I would recommend this if you end up spending close to this amount with building your own. And since your not in the US currency is different. DIY grow box, they have a forum on this. But once again you lack the homedepot and lowes etc. So hopefully ebay once again ships to your area because they have a grow tent for $80 also. IDK if im its aloud to put ebay on hereBut i would just check 420 sponsers to find the cheapest price for what you need

If you want to stay with CFLs and everyone is giving you a cool way to build, but you say you lack homedepot etc. I would go on ebay and look for an CFL kit. They have 125w kits (includes the reflecting hood & light) for $89.00. This would be great if they ship to were your at. I would recommend this if you end up spending close to this amount with building your own. And since your not in the US currency is different. DIY grow box, they have a forum on this. But once again you lack the homedepot and lowes etc. So hopefully ebay once again ships to your area because they have a grow tent for $80 also. IDK if im its aloud to put ebay on hereBut i would just check 420 sponsers to find the cheapest price for what you need
unfortunately the grow tents are expensive to ship and so is the cfl's, i was thinking maybe i buy a few 55w or 43's and have 4 of them per plant, it costs around 10 bucks per 55w but the bulbs are 2700's and not 6400, maybe thats why they are cheap. what do you think?

..rooting hormone is optional, but people swear by it...im not using it for my latest clones, mainly because im convinced mine is rotten.

You are right about the hormone being optional, but I think it ups the success rate. I would throw that rotten stuff out and go with rooting powder. It is very cheap at 4.00 for a little bottle and it goes a long way and won't go bad.

I was flattered to see you had copied my post on cloning over here !

My 2 cents on the lighting is this: Last summer I ditched the cfl's in the veg area for regular T-12 shop lights. I use only 6500K bulbs and my clones, mothers, and vegging plants do just fine with those. The 6500K bulbs have a much higher lumen output than the lower K tubes. The reasons I ditched the cfl's were 1. The cfl's were creating to much heat and 2. the shop lights have a better spread of light with no hotspots. I use HPS for flowering, but if I was gonna use cfl's, I would use a lot of 26watt/2700K bulbs and have some for side lighting too.

wow wow, so much work envolved ill just stick to growing my plant

Not much work at all really. A few minutes per clone and you can have an army of them !

With clones, at least you know what you are getting...

here are some pics of my plants which are currently outdoor, when i set my room up ill put them in
2012-09-22_06_35_16.jpg
- been growing almost a month
2012-09-22_06_34_22.jpg
2012-09-22_06_34_53.jpg
2012-09-22_06_35_07.jpg
2012-09-22_06_33_36.jpg
2012-09-22_06_33_43.jpg

5 plants total. 2 small 2 mid 1 big'ish
the big one is a month or so, when i started i forgot to name the dates.
they have been growing slow in comparison to what ive seen online, the first few weeks were ONLY shade, sunlight killed my first ones so i decided not to put them out there untill they are older. temp's here (israel) average at 32c and the sun is very hot with not much wind to cool them down. now its starting to be.
any feedback/tips would be good.
ps.at high sunlight time i go outside to check on them and their leaves are faced up alot, is that a good thing?
another thing is will spraying them with water at the morning before sun and in the evening after the sun a good thing to cool them down ofcourse?

I think they are just fine, you will probably want more lights than that, but to be honest you can add more lights as they get big, a smal plant doesnt take up much space so a small amount of lights has good benefits, as the plant grows the light wont reach all parts so you need to add more.

as to a grow tent, im sure you can build a timber frame somehow or any other materiel that can make a frame...improvisation is a very good skill to use with growing.. if you make a decent frame you can use mylar survival blankets to construct the skin of the grow tent.

survival_blanket1.JPG
survival_blanket_2.jpg

they are dirt cheap and very light weight so wont cost much in transport costs =) lots of people use them now.

yeah i have a 4 ft t8 growlux dual spec in the attic ill be moving into my new grow room, i also have LOTS of striplights i managed to salvage from a demo job but only have 6x6' t8 bulbs for them at the mo, they are about to be mounted in my grow room in the next few days.

lol props kimmey, if your cloning method works as intended i will be shouting it from the rooftops and your name will be forever attached to it, lol.

I think they are just fine, you will probably want more lights than that, but to be honest you can add more lights as they get big, a smal plant doesnt take up much space so a small amount of lights has good benefits, as the plant grows the light wont reach all parts so you need to add more.

as to a grow tent, im sure you can build a timber frame somehow or any other materiel that can make a frame...improvisation is a very good skill to use with growing.. if you make a decent frame you can use mylar survival blankets to construct the skin of the grow tent.

survival_blanket1.JPG
survival_blanket_2.jpg

they are dirt cheap and very light weight so wont cost much in transport costs =) lots of people use them now.
i actually ordered this mylar blanket from ebay for only 2dolars, im waiting for it to arrive but still my main issue is constructing a tent like area that will hold all the mylar material, i thought of a box but it would have to be exact to the space i have which is quite limited. big enough for MAYBE 2 mature plants.
jeez i have to say when i first started this project i had no idea how many things were involved in this.
at first i asked my friend and he told me just use a fluorescent and i thought aw thats easy just put it under a light and it will grow, boy was i wrong.

here are some pics of my plants which are currently outdoor, when i set my room up ill put them in
2012-09-22_06_35_16.jpg
- been growing almost a month
2012-09-22_06_34_22.jpg
2012-09-22_06_34_53.jpg
2012-09-22_06_35_07.jpg
2012-09-22_06_33_36.jpg
2012-09-22_06_33_43.jpg

5 plants total. 2 small 2 mid 1 big'ish
the big one is a month or so, when i started i forgot to name the dates.
they have been growing slow in comparison to what ive seen online, the first few weeks were ONLY shade, sunlight killed my first ones so i decided not to put them out there untill they are older. temp's here (israel) average at 32c and the sun is very hot with not much wind to cool them down. now its starting to be.
any feedback/tips would be good.
ps.at high sunlight time i go outside to check on them and their leaves are faced up alot, is that a good thing?
another thing is will spraying them with water at the morning before sun and in the evening after the sun a good thing to cool them down ofcourse?
These are off to a very good start.

who knows maybe ill let the big one do its time outside, how will flowering work outside? im not in the season so will they flower or will they just keep growing?

i think its fine the way i did it, i dont want to play to much with it, its my first grow and i dont wanna mess it up to much. how long am i suppose to use lst and do i need to change sides every few days or weeks?

Back
Top Bottom