What's the issue? First grow

Update for Day 43 after providing a full feed yesterday as per FF nute schedule. They appear to be getting worse. This could be a lag, meaning they would have gotten worse before getting better, but I am really worried. I have not done a slurry test yet as frankly, I am not sure how to get soil from the lower part of the container out without messing up the roots combined with the feedback here that it's highly unlikely the soil PH has changed in 40 days using brand new soil.

While it's fun learning, it's frustrating when you have issues like this and can't seem to figure it out. Am wondering if I should do a complete flush (3X the water of the container size) and then provide a fresh feeding? It just makes zero sense it's a PH issue given the soil and that I triple check my input PH every single time with multiple PH meters that I constantly calibrate.

Attachments

• IMG-1133.jpg
    IMG-1133.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG-1134.jpg
    IMG-1134.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 40
I've checked my runoff PPM a few times, not in the last week though, especially as I hadn't fed for two watering cycles. When checking previously, my PPMs were in range.

Stupid question - how exactly do you go along the outer edge? What do you use to scoop it out? I was thinking maybe I would try to extract some soil from the holes in the very bottom of my container???

Okay I was able to get some off the bottom by putting a small slit into the container (widening my drain holes) and getting some out that way. I hope that is ok. I did it before BeanTownFan replied.

Ok just did a slurry test. One was 5.1 and the other 5.5, both with PPMs around 300 (using 700 scale). I did two tests on each one, one from the root area and another on the side as you recommended. Both came out the same.

What's interesting is the feeding I just did yesterday had 2300 PPM. So this tells me both the PH is really low, and there are no nutes - could they have been absorbed that quick???

Given the PH, should I do a complete flush and then feed?

Let's start with the fact that your pH is well below the normal pH for FF soil, which is around 6.3-6.8. So that needs to be raised.

There are a number of ways to quickly raise the pH of soil, and I know that @Virgin Ground has done it before, but I don't know how soon she'll see this. She used lime for hers.
Potassium bicarbonate is used as a soak in acidic soil to bring soil pH to around 7. I ended up using quick lime to adjust my soil pH.

It did take time though:
I ended up adding lime as well as my soil pH was in the low 5s. It can take a few weeks for the lime to bring your pH up. Multiple slurry tests showed an upward trend. I suggest you do multiple slurry tests about. Five days to a week apart to see if your soil pH is improving.

Potassium bicarbonate is close to baking soda if that's all you can get your hands on, as described here:
"You can use baking soda, too. This is a cost-effective method that is quick and easy to do. Baking soda also does not last as long as lime (similar to the ashes) but can produce results in just a few days. Baking soda is fairly gentle on both the soil and the plants, so you won’t have to worry about harming your plants.
Mix a tablespoon of baking soda into a gallon of water. (You can use this ratio to increase or decrease the amount you need, based on the size of your garden.) Be careful not to add too much baking soda or use too much of this mixture in your garden, as it could create an imbalance. You can do this every few months as needed to maintain the optimum soil pH."

Source

By the way, 2300 PPM is crazy high for nutrient solutions! When I ran the trio I was at around 1200 (not including the tap water) in full flower. Have you measured the PPM of your straight tap water?

By the way, 2300 PPM is crazy high for nutrient solutions! When I ran the trio I was at around 1200 (not including the tap water) in full flower. Have you measured the PPM of your straight tap water?
Thanks MrS!
Sure thing. The ppm level is odd too but I don't know if he was talking about the nuted solution or the runoff. I'd guess his water is low, alkaline wise, to drop it that fast. I have to go back and re-read as I thought he said it was high in alkaline. Nope, couldn't find it.

Let's start with the fact that your pH is well below the normal pH for FF soil, which is around 6.3-6.8. So that needs to be raised.

There are a number of ways to quickly raise the pH of soil, and I know that @Virgin Ground has done it before, but I don't know how soon she'll see this. She used lime for hers.

It did take time though:

Potassium bicarbonate is close to baking soda if that's all you can get your hands on, as described here:
"You can use baking soda, too. This is a cost-effective method that is quick and easy to do. Baking soda also does not last as long as lime (similar to the ashes) but can produce results in just a few days. Baking soda is fairly gentle on both the soil and the plants, so you won’t have to worry about harming your plants.
Mix a tablespoon of baking soda into a gallon of water. (You can use this ratio to increase or decrease the amount you need, based on the size of your garden.) Be careful not to add too much baking soda or use too much of this mixture in your garden, as it could create an imbalance. You can do this every few months as needed to maintain the optimum soil pH."

Source

My tap water is 170-200 PPM. The Fox Farm feeding schedule calls for 1960-2180 on 700 PPM scale. I will look into Potassium bicorbonate and see how quickly I can obtain it. So I assume doing a full flush (3X the soil volume) with PH'd water will not raise the soil PH?

Back
Top Bottom