What's the issue? First grow

Sure thing. The ppm level is odd too but I don't know if he was talking about the nuted solution or the runoff. I'd guess his water is low, alkaline wise, to drop it that fast. I have to go back and re-read as I thought he said it was high in alkaline. Nope, couldn't find it.

The PPM readings from the slurry tests were around 300. The PPM of my tap water is 170-200. The last feeding I did, when measuring after PHing the water to 6.6 was around 2400. That was using the exact amounts as instructed on the FFsoil feeding schedule.

I do have some dolomite lime. I’ve been told that will raise PH over time but not sure a top dressing of it is enough. I’ll look into your folks suggestions also. Can’t thank you enough!!

I don't see any reason you couldn't mix it with the nutes.

Keep in mind that the pH of the tap water or the nute water won't affect the pH of the soil. Soil pH changes when the roots interact with the nutrients they take in after watering. Water that is high in alkaline content (not high pH) will raise the pH of the soil over time, as will nutes that are mostly made from nitrate-based nitrogen.

Nutrients that are high in ammoniacal nitrogen will lower the pH over time.

I do have some dolomite lime. I’ve been told that will raise PH over time but not sure a top dressing of it is enough.
Not really a good idea when in mid grow. Dolomite contains high amounts of Ca and Mg which can cause other issues. If you were to use it then you add it when mixing your soil, but a little goes a long way. The lime also will act as a buffer to correct any pH fluctuations.

What's Cultivation Nation? My chart says Big Bloom, Grow Big, and Tiger Bloom.
FoxFarms feeding schedule for soil.jpg

Okay, so a couple comments / questions after feeding this morning and adding baking soda:

• After adding all the ingredients and stirring each time, then PH testing the water/feed/baking soda mixture, the solution PH was 7.5
    • This is typically higher than usual but logically the baking soda raised it...I would think....
  • In an attempt to add PH Down to get it just under 7, I add what I usually add...PH is still 7.4/7.5. I add a little more but not trying to over do it...ph is still 7.4 / 7.5
So, at this point not fully understanding how the baking soda may be playing a role here, I accept it and feed the plants.

I check runoff for the heck of it, when interestingly my runoff has been around the slurry tests and run off is 6.5 / 6.6 for both plants.

I am not 100% sure I did everything right, but one thing I do know, is the results were different and I'll take that.

I'll provide a follow-up in a couple days also. So glad to be part of this community and appreciate the effort and advice to assist me.

Happy to report back now that I've had a few days since adding the baking soda and increasing nutes a little bit. So far, things seem to be running very smoothly and the plants are not showing any additional signs of distress.

I can't thank those of you who helped me enough, it's so appreciating to find a knowledgeable, helpful community who knows what they're talking about.

Today is Day 50, am guessing these babies got at least a few weeks left in them.

Also, on the Jack47, it still hasn't started flowering. As I am on week 8 am guessing it's a photo so at this point, going to keep it in veg until these come down and then flip to 12/12. That thing should be a beast though, can see it taking most of my 4X2 up!!!

Attachments

• D50_1.jpg
    D50_1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 35
Hoping this wonderful community can help me figure this out as so far I have had no luck on a few of the reddit forums and the community here seems more engaging and helpful. My first attempt and am running into a few issues. Before I dive in, some basic details to help you help me:

• 3 plants, 2 Fastbuds Fastberry Autoflowers and 1 Jack47 auto
  • 4X2 tent with Mars Hydro SP3000 ~22" from highest node
  • Currently on Day 41
  • FFHF/FFOF/Perlite medium
  • Water / Feed / Water / Feed cycle and PH ~6.5
  • FF trio nutes (grow big, big bloom & tiger bloom) + CalMag
    • Only started nutes around week 5, following the feeding chart per fox farms but at lower dose

Okay, so here's my issues...

Issue 1:

Both Fastberry's continue to have some bronzing on the lower and middle leaves which you can see in the pic of the plant that's currently flowering. I cannot for the life of me figure out what the issue is and I've read countless threads with people who have similar issues and they either suggest it's a CalMag issue or some fungus issue (can't recall the name) where if you rubbed it, you would get the bronze/brown stuff on your finger tips which in this case, I don't. Some people say it could be a PH issue but I have 4 PH pens, one of which is a blue lab and my PH is on point. My runoff ph however is 5.5 to 6.0.

Issue 2:

The second picture attached which the plant isn't flowering, is also an auto and on day 41. Given it's been almost two weeks since the Fastberry's started flowering, it's concerning to me that this one hasn't. I've read on here not to panic until week 8, that sometimes Auto's can Veg for that long? I did do some defoliation (even though not recommended for auto's and first timers) because this thing is unbelievably bushy and have heard that the stress from defoliating autoflowers can extend the veg cycle.

So, this brings me to my questions:

• What is the most likely culprit of the bronzing on the Fastberrys?
  • How concerned should I be with the runoff ph levels? There is a ton of conflicting soundbites on runoff PH; some people suggest to not even look at it because its a poor and unreliable way to test the ph of the soil and that you should just focus on input PH, which I do
  • When for the Jack47 should it not start flowering, be safe to assume its not an auto but a photo?
  • I purchased some Real Growers Recharge as I've heard good things about the micro's it has in it for soil mediums, and they say you can't nute burn your plants with them, but wanted to get feedback before doing it.

Welcome any and all feedback. If you see anything else concerning please let me know.
I had a similar issue. I am using the same soil and nutes as you are. I was keeping my PH @6.5. That is too high...
Bring it down to 6.2 and see if that helps. Just focus on input PH. Are you feeding twice a week?

Thank you all very much for the comments. On the notion of adding more nutes, my concern was that when I did add nutes at a third of the charts recommendation, the leave tips showed burns and all the research suggested nute burn. I guess it’s possible then, but now they’re hungrier as they’ve aged a few weeks since?

Regarding no nutes the first month, given it’s fox farms happy frog and ocean forest soil I was led to believe they have enough nutes in the soil to last about a month. Is that not true?
No, because my plants are aggressive growers and it used up the nutes much faster I am in week 2 of veg and I have to add nutes.

Back
Top Bottom